I am not a Christian, and many people think worse of me. Should I think worse of myself?

So... I probably shouldn't touch on this, because the subject is very controversial. But i recently broke away from the church and became what I like to call non-religious. But many of my peers think that i am crazy and i feel somewhat bad about it but logically i cannot choose one single religion. Can someone help me? Maybe just give some comments so i can see if i am crazy or not.

Personally, I think organized religion is often a bit overrated. I mean there is a lot of good things to be taken out of most religions, but I think there are usually many faults too. I would consider myself a spiritual person, but at the same time, there are so many things regarding Christianity that I disagree with and find entirely hypocrital and unnecessary... I believe that their is some higher power, but I don't know if it is a single God, a general energy force, or if I am entirely wrong! There's no reason to feel bad or crazy about it...

Piano, I'm going to be honest with you. If you go to a good university outside of America you will see that the vast majority of intelligent people are not part of organised religion. Out of the hundred odd people I know at University, only 2 of them take part in religious activities of sorts (going to church, etc).

DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET PRESSURED! What sort of things do they say when they call you crazy?

I've had hundreds of debates about religion (being an atheist) and the ONLY argument that religious people have against me is that we still don't fully understand the origins of the universe. They always end with "Well who created the Earth?" and I always reply with "I'd like to know who created God." They are then stuck in a world of hypocritical fallacy, and life goes on.

Above all, do your own thinking. Don't let anyone or any organisation do it for you. Assess the evidence, the facts, the logic, and make up your own mind.

Dear pianojames,

In my opinion religion is just to teach morals to our youngsters and to tell our society how to behave and to have a punishment for doing wrong things in this world. Dont feel bad that you have transcended the boundaries of organized religion, I myself am a transcendentalist, finding my salvation in nature. So dont distress. I have a feeing that membership in organized religion will be in decline in the next years, what do people have to worry about anymore? Death and thats it, I have a feeling that we will have a realization that we need not fear death and take responsibility for our actions instead of blaming them on spirits. Eh, it was a rant, no idea how much of it was good, dont distress.

I agree with Deus that reactions to your breaking away from religion is probably largely because you live in America. Honestly I live with 4 other people, 3 of whom are Christian who do go to Church regularly - one of them is from Canada, one is from China and one from Korea. There's a dozen odd religious groups in my uni and I got invited to at least half of them and not one was offended when I refused. I learnt very early on when I came to Australia that it's much better telling people out right that you're not interested than leading them on to think that you are. I know it's apparently a huge deal in the US but in other places people don't really care. Your worth as a person doesn't lie in whether or which religion you follow, it's what you can bring to the world. If you are happy without a religion, then why think the worst of yourself? I think it's much better breaking away from something you don't have faith in rather than staying only to feel accepted. People will perhaps be shocked but they'll get over it. It's better than staying there, making other people happy while you yourself are miserable.

Above all, do your own thinking. Don't let anyone or any organisation do it for you. Assess the evidence, the facts, the logic, and make up your own mind.

Quoted for emphasis.

To me coming from a sector of Australian society where no one I know (well almost no one) goes to an organised religous service on a regular basis this question seems quite strange. Anyway your not crazy and don't let anyone try to tell that you will be punished or whatever they say (you see I wouldn't know because I don't know anyone seriously religuous), because that utter crap.

Of course not. I'm Catholic and I have friends that are athiest..I don't think of them as any less of a person just because of their beliefs/lack thereof.
Same here. I'm a Muslim, but I have friends who are Catholic, Jewish, even Athiest, etc (which I think it becoming more common in Australia - I think it is a more secular than religious country) and we all get along really well. In relation to IB, this sometimes makes TOK discussions more interesting because there are more perspectives!

Anyway, you are NOT crazy. Everyone has different beliefs, and sometimes these change. Just because you cannot choose a single religion, if any, it does not mean you're crazy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I think Religion is a beautiful thing, if you can allow yourself to be dedicated to such a limited kind of thought. I can understand where you're coming from with the "feeling like an outlaw" bit, but you know what, I'd rather live in denial than in pressure. So believe in what you want child! only God can judge you for it, and if your surroundings don't agree with you, then change your surroundings.

When in Rome, act like the Romans I say!

Guest syrianstar

Piano - You're certainly not crazy; everyone goes through times like this at one time or another.

Since you say that you are unable to choose between religons I guess you could try to learn more about the different religions in the world ( maybe other than christianity) and then try and see which one appeals to you the most.

I'm a Muslim and I would be happy to answer any of your questions (if you have any) and I'm sure that people from other religions would too :)

Just remember that it is your decision so choose what suits you and your way of life the most and don't get influenced by what other people say.

Best Wishes, :)

• 4 weeks later...

Are you serious? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so don't fret just because you don't fit in the norm. Besides, Victor Hugo once said: "Organised religion is for the poor"- go analyse it.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm agnostic myself.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there..

erm...im a Muslim..n i believe that faith is nt sumthing dat u cn hv by following what others say blindly...

i suggest that while being kinda busy wif lots of assignments in IB..,why dont you spend some time reading about religions, gaining more knowledge regarding Christianity and as well as other religions,...

as i said, faith is not something that u can have blindly...it should have profound reason behind it..=)...

dont feel bad...as an ib-mate,n thou nt a fren from same religions,bt yet fren in humanity,..i believe that what is happening to u is gud, as nw u'll try to undrstand wut is religion actually fr us,human...it is very unfortunate of anyone fr having religion without reason and faith..

hope my humble advise will help..=)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I used to be Christian, and I'm fairly sure I'm not now.

Go with whatever you think is right - as I'm sure you've heard; just because the majority agree, doesn't mean that it's right.

There's nothing stopping you from changing your mind (lots either!

There's nothing wrong with not being a Christian.

As you've already heard, organized religion is overrated. I'm sure you have your good reason for breaking from the church; that only proves you have your own, strong mind. I don't think religion is as important as...let's say...good sense of self, your own sense of right or wrong, and the ability to reason. And if you're an intellectual, it is healthy to question our beliefs and the world and to experiment with different ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

hi there people,

i am a muslim, and i believe that religion is the most beautiful experience that a human can ever witness.

hey guys no hard feeling but, for those people who are agnostic, i think you should spend a little of you time in reading about religions (Islam, Buddhism, Christianity) and you will surely find your way out.

"i didn't become muslin, i was just lucky that i was born and raised in a Muslim family"

Guest dragonb111
Piano, I'm going to be honest with you. If you go to a good university outside of America you will see that the vast majority of intelligent people are not part of organised religion. Out of the hundred odd people I know at University, only 2 of them take part in religious activities of sorts (going to church, etc).

DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET PRESSURED! What sort of things do they say when they call you crazy?

I've had hundreds of debates about religion (being an atheist) and the ONLY argument that religious people have against me is that we still don't fully understand the origins of the universe. They always end with "Well who created the Earth?" and I always reply with "I'd like to know who created God." They are then stuck in a world of hypocritical fallacy, and life goes on.

I disagree with your logic. I'm a christian, but one thing that I learned from my 3 years of going to a christian school is that you cannot prove that doesn't exist. You can't prove God does exist either. That's why they call it faith. There are no facts or logic. You have your own free will to choose.

About "Who created God"...God was, God is, and God will always be. There was no beginning for Him and there will be no end. Actually, He is Alpha and Omega, beginning and end.

But still, you have a point. No one should pressure anyone to forcibly choose to be a christian or whatever. That's our own choice.

Piano - You're certainly not crazy; everyone goes through times like this at one time or another.

Since you say that you are unable to choose between religons I guess you could try to learn more about the different religions in the world ( maybe other than christianity) and then try and see which one appeals to you the most.

I'm a Muslim and I would be happy to answer any of your questions (if you have any) and I'm sure that people from other religions would too :)

Just remember that it is your decision so choose what suits you and your way of life the most and don't get influenced by what other people say.

Best Wishes, :)

I wouldn't say that so confidently...unless you want to be plagued, swept in darkness, burned by the sun, be sent to hell, be separated from God for eternity (which is a long time), and be bitten by demonic locusts...It's your choice, but I would give this some thought if I were you...He will never leave you hanging, so don't leave Him hanging

hi there people,

i am a muslim, and i believe that religion is the most beautiful experience that a human can ever witness.

hey guys no hard feeling but, for those people who are agnostic, i think you should spend a little of you time in reading about religions (Islam, Buddhism, Christianity) and you will surely find your way out.

"i didn't become muslin, i was just lucky that i was born and raised in a Muslim family"

Lucky is exactly the opposite dude...I was born into this world with sin, I accepted Jesus as my savior and Christ, that He rose, that He conquered death, that I can spend eternity with this being that controlls every part of my life...As for you...have fun with all the plagues that God plans on pouring out on the earth on anyone who has not accepted Him...I respect that you are a muslim, but please rethink this...You know why Christianity is different? Our God rose from the dead. No other god or gods have done that. That's what separates us...

There's nothing wrong with not being a Christian.

As you've already heard, organized religion is overrated. I'm sure you have your good reason for breaking from the church; that only proves you have your own, strong mind. I don't think religion is as important as...let's say...good sense of self, your own sense of right or wrong, and the ability to reason. And if you're an intellectual, it is healthy to question our beliefs and the world and to experiment with different ideas.

I'd like to see you say that in front of the Almighty God. When the rapture happens, the next 7 years are gonna be worse then Hell for you and everyone here on this forum who doesn't believe in Christ.

So... I probably shouldn't touch on this, because the subject is very controversial. But i recently broke away from the church and became what I like to call non-religious. But many of my peers think that i am crazy and i feel somewhat bad about it but logically i cannot choose one single religion. Can someone help me? Maybe just give some comments so i can see if i am crazy or not.

Please turn back...God is still there, He is still knocking, waiting for you...He will never leave, please rethink this. There may not be much time left. Please think again...He will never forsake you...This is the biggest thing that could ever happen in your life...

Personally, I think organized religion is often a bit overrated. I mean there is a lot of good things to be taken out of most religions, but I think there are usually many faults too. I would consider myself a spiritual person, but at the same time, there are so many things regarding Christianity that I disagree with and find entirely hypocrital and unnecessary... I believe that their is some higher power, but I don't know if it is a single God, a general energy force, or if I am entirely wrong! There's no reason to feel bad or crazy about it...

I dare you to read the Bible. The book of Revaltion. Chapters 6,7,8,9. That tells you about all the plagues and the wrath of God. Don't feel bad about not believing in God? I don't think that you'll be saying that once you read what will happen if you don't read about it.

I agree with Deus that reactions to your breaking away from religion is probably largely because you live in America. Honestly I live with 4 other people, 3 of whom are Christian who do go to Church regularly - one of them is from Canada (she prays before she eats, just to give you an idea of how serious she is), one is from China and one from Korea. There's a dozen odd religious groups in my uni and I got invited to at least half of them and not one was offended when I refused. I learnt very early on when I came to Australia that it's much better telling people out right that you're not interested than leading them on to think that you are. I know it's apparently a huge deal in the US but in other places people don't really care. Your worth as a person doesn't lie in whether or which religion you follow, it's what you can bring to the world. If you are happy without a religion, then why think the worst of yourself? I think it's much better breaking away from something you don't have faith in rather than staying only to feel accepted. People will perhaps be shocked but they'll get over it. It's better than staying there, making other people happy while you yourself are miserable.

Quoted for emphasis.

Agreed. You have your own free will. The only thing I disagree about though is that you're saying that you should get mixed in with the world. to not stand out. to follow the examples of the world. You're gonna want to accept God and not turn from Him. You're gonna wish you hadn't after the rapture. Trust me.