Is IBO becoming more intolerant of plagiarism?

carpediem

Today my whole IB cohort had a talk on plagiarism and its specific role in the EE, and one of the teachers mentioned that the IB is becoming more intolerant of plagiarism. I know IB isn't tolerant of it, but according to those teachers starting from next year the IB has permission to check for plagiarism in all of our work. (Whether that be because I'm going into the last year of IB, or for the Class of 2014, I'm not sure.) So basically, the IB can pick up any piece of work, personal notes included, and it has to have a full citation list.

Does anyone know more on this, or is this just a scare? It might be true because it was only until recently my school really pushed against plagiarism, despite 2 students having to drop to certificates because of plagiarism at the beginning of the year, but it's absurd to assume my revision notes need to be cited.

Don't worry about your notes; what they mean by any piece of work are your normal essays, your lab reports, etc... Don't plagiarize in your work and when you do restate something, do give notation to the source. :)