Biology HL P1 and P2 - TZ2

vids.10

P1 - Easy but I messed up a lot in it... :dontgetit:

P2- Yea true, the data analysis was confusing...short questions were fine.

Section B was very weird, they focused on very minor things in the syllabus (Water properties, protein function, and such...)

Btw...have you realized that they have focused greatly on plants?

Paper 1 was ok, nothing too weird of complicated... Paper 2 was unexpected... The first questions on anti-fever drugs were strange, and in Section B there was nothing on Photosynthesis/Cellular Respiration/Bio-technologies/HIV... :(

i was a bit confused by the third graph on the anti-fever drug but then i luckily realised that it was better to have little monocytes, since that meant that more had differentiated into macrophages to fight the infection. realising that the rest was pretty easy! the placebo was the best, that was a tricky part for many people I think, by actually taking in "no drugs" there would be less nasal obstruction, greater amount of anti-rhinovirus antibodies and a more efficient and faster macrophage response.

I screwed up so bad on Paper 2 >.< The data based question really threw me off and I completely blanked on Section B. I'm so upset that I messed up, my teacher told me I could get a 7 but I think I'm heading for at most a 5 :/ So disappointing.

Paper 1 was alright but I'm never sure of how I've done with multiple choice.

Like everyone else I was really upset about the lack of diagrams, only one question on Transcription and Translation (which I worked so hard to learn because I never quite got it) and also hardly any genetics! Genetics was my absolute best unit so I'm really upset it didn't come up.

Was anyone else a little thrown off by the combination of questions on Section B? Some of them just seemed weird compared to previous years - I'd always expected proteins and enzymes to go together because they usually do but instead there was muscle contraction as the 8 marker. It just seemed a little strange to me.

P1 was easy I think, although I already know that I made the wrong choice in several of them – which is never a good sign. The question about phytochrome, to me, seemed to have two correct answers. c) I think claimed that pfr promotes flowering in long-day plants and d) that pfr inhibits flowering in short-day plants. Both are correct, no? Or did I just misread either the question or the choices?

P2's first question was indeed weird – in the sense that they would choose data like that for analysis. I don't think I ended up having any problems with it, but there was this constant doubt that am I now really doing this correctly since they normally have much more... normal data.

And overall a really weird paper as well, for the reasons already mentioned. I suppose it was fine (although I'm wondering if I said enough for the 8-mark questions in Section B) – we had people leaving really early, but I on the other had found out that checking your answers might be worthwhile. In the X Y Z plant leaf diagram I had written palisade mesophyll and xylem the other way around...

If there would be no drugs, taking "placebo" , then how come faster the macrophage response?

Because anti-inflammatory drugs reduce the natural immune response, just like in all the other parts of that question. I do feel though that the purpose of the placebo group was pretty unconventional – clearly there should have also been a group who took no drugs for the placebo to actually account for something. Maybe it was just excluded from the data.

Edited by Satmi

P1 was easy I think, although I already know that I made the wrong choice in several of them – which is never a good sign. The question about phytochrome, to me, seemed to have two correct answers. c) I think claimed that pfr promotes flowering in long-day plants and d) that pfr inhibits flowering in short-day plants. Both are correct, no? Or did I just misread either the question or the choices?

Ahh...that...they usually do that for this question, however, I think that the role of Pfr is usually to promote flowering in plants, since it is the active form....

I think that I answered correctly to the first question of P2 after all, but I had constant doubt that I had understood it incorrectly. Normally the data analysis questions have been really easy for me, but this was quite confusing. I couldn't remember name of those plant cells and I found that kind of question to be quite irrelevant... +The essay questions weren't the best for me...

The paper 1 was quite easy, though I made a stupid mistake by claiming heterotrops to be plants... Don't know what I was thinking :nonono:

That was tricky question.. if you continued reading the sentence in choice 'C' it says it promotes flowering in long-day plants during LONG NIGHT.. you cannot have both a long day and a long night which makes option 'C' wrong.. the same thing did apply for option 'A' (short-day + short night) .. WRT option D & B I don't really remember which one was right.. the answer was it promotes flowering in long-day plant during short nights..

Edited by Sara.Taha

Oh crap..that means messed up data response! I thought more monocytes production meant that more would differentiate into macrophages and thus more t and b-cells would be produced and thus more antibodies!! Hopefully I can still get some points for saying that aspirin and acetaminophen were not effective because of nasal obstruction and less antibodies produced! I did say ibuprofen was the most effective which is now obviously wrong coz the monocyte count in that one was extremely high!!

Edited by IBCONQUERER

The worst exam ever!

I agree P1 was easy

But whats wrong with P2?

I mean 90% of the material didn't appear!

Especially in Section B!

I was expecting: DNA Replication/Transcription/Translation/Respiration/Photosynthesis/Genetics

I spent most of my time studying those

But nothing!

I blame it one the examiners though, the exam MUST cover all parts of the material

They only focused on two topics maybe!

But you know what

I no longer really care

Whatever the grade is ...

Oh crap..that means messed up data response! I thought more monocytes production meant that more would differentiate into macrophages and thus more t and b-cells would be produced and thus more antibodies!! Hopefully I can still get some points for saying that aspirin and acetaminophen were not effective because of nasal obstruction and less antibodies produced! I did say ibuprofen was the most effective which is now obviously wrong coz the monocyte count in that one was extremely high!!

I said ibuprofen was best too

Because remember, the sickness is caused by a VIRUS

and antibodies are INEFFECTIVE against viruses

So I think you are right

I think antibiotics are ineffective not antibodies because if antibodies weren't effective everytime someone got a cold they wouldn't be able to be cured! And I think there were 2 3 mark questions then I must've gotten wrong because the second last one asked about the effect of monocytes and how they indicated something and I said more monocytes meant more macrophages produced and so more antigen presentation, t-cell and b-cell activation and thus more production of antibodies which indicated a stronger response..crappie me, I hope I don't get it all wrong though give me like 2 points out of 3 IB please :P! And which one had the most delayed response??

That was tricky question.. if you continued reading the sentence in choice 'C' it says it promotes flowering in long-day plants during LONG NIGHT.. you cannot have both a long day and a long night which makes option 'C' wrong.. the same thing did apply for option 'A' (short-day + short night) .. WRT option D & B I don't really remember which one was right.. the answer was it promotes flowering in long-day plant during short nights..

Oh right, so I just misread it then. Or It could be that I remember the letters wrong.

I just recall reading the question and options over and over (very weird that I missed something so obvious), being very confused and thinking that either of two choices should be correct. :D I think in the end I picked the one where it was said to inhibit flowering in short-day plants... I'm now really hoping it actually said during long nights.

EDIT:

I think antibiotics are ineffective not antibodies because if antibodies weren't effective everytime someone got a cold they wouldn't be able to be cured! And I think there were 2 3 mark questions then I must've gotten wrong because the second last one asked about the effect of monocytes and how they indicated something and I said more monocytes meant more macrophages produced and so more antigen presentation, t-cell and b-cell activation and thus more production of antibodies which indicated a stronger response..crappie me, I hope I don't get it all wrong though give me like 2 points out of 3 IB please :P! And which one had the most delayed response??

That I'm actually not so sure about, now that I think about it. I considered it as well (that monocyte production would mean more macrophages), but then there was something (probably the results of the placebo group) that clearly did not make sense in that interpretation to me. It was more like I was I wondering why monocyte production could be thought to stay constant.

But I mean there shouldn't be anything in antipyretic drugs that promotes immune response?

Edited by Satmi

I think a more logical explanation is that if less monocytes are produced then it shows that the infection is almost gone because there is simply no need to produce them..I think if they are produced they will differentiate anyway which is why the body produces more of them initially with placebo and then as time progresses it decreases their production because there is simply no need to produce alot of them now!

I think a more logical explanation is that if less monocytes are produced then it shows that the infection is almost gone because there is simply no need to produce them..I think if they are produced they will differentiate anyway which is why the body produces more of them initially with placebo and then as time progresses it decreases their production because there is simply no need to produce alot of them now!

But wasn't the difference between the drugs what we were supposed to analyse in that question as well?