Biology HL P1 and P2 - TZ2

vids.10

Yeah we were supposed to evaluate the use of the drugs using all 3 graphs! I hopefully will get some points for mentioning the ineffectiveness of acetaminophen and the other drug! I was wrong on placebo and ibuprofen coz I missed out the less monocyte-good thing. What was the drug which took a while to initiate a response? I wrote acetaminophen, I'm sure its wrong though!

I said that the lower monocyte count in blood with the placebo meant that the monocytes had left blood to the infected tissue and differentiated to macrophages. Whereas the drugs decreased the immune response so that while the number of monocytes in blood increased, they didn't find their way to the infected tissue to fight the infection and therefore postponed healing. Don't know if that was a right interpretation then...

Normally a low monocyte count in the blood would also suggest more susceptibility to infections! I just think less of them were produced coz the body's mechanisms (in placebo) had dealt with the infection so less of them were needed then! But then again why were the most anti-rhinovirus antibodies produced with placebo is also another thing as the days progressed. I guess you're right because they told you to consider all 3 graphs.

acetaminophen was the best drug due to fast response of Immune System, More over the 2nd graph showed the count of antibodies after 28 days, the lower the antibodies the better the drug, meaning that the infection/sickness is over, the 3rd graph was tricky, the lower the value the better response, it seemed that placebo drugs -controlled- were better and effective than most drugs while acetaminophen also did a fast, fastest immuno response, gaaah that took me a while to figure out

it should decrease it, that is that monocytes are left from the blood to fight the infection, acetaminophen and placebo were the only two who fought the infection during that period, i think a week was it? gaaah idk i guess only time will tell , i just thought my answer was reasonable, i had it like yours at first, then rethought of it and changed my answers, anyways good luck :)

Lol bio was always my achilles hill! Chem and math were always my strengths, hope to get a 7 in math because the exams were quite good, the only thing is last yr people liked the exams and the highest ended up with a borderline 4-5! So I'm just abit scared! I will be shocked though if I end up with a 5!

Oh and in paper 1 what did you guys put for plasmid and the sperm thing? Was it a sperm or sertoli cells I was conffffused!

Plasmid thing i wrote option C , that was plasmid is a circular structure which helps prokaryotes transfer their genetic material,,something like that! The sperm thing i'm not sure..i had not studied reproduction that much!

I have to ask IB though why they have to baffle us with confusing data questions that could be interpreted anyhow, when there is clearly a whole load of topics they could have brought, literally exam was an injustice to those who had studied hard for it!

SERIOUSLY! I have still not been able to figure out what exactly the data based was! Past papers data based are much easier.. Our's was so confusing. God only save me for that question. Everything else was good though.

Oh and in paper 1 what did you guys put for plasmid and the sperm thing? Was it a sperm or sertoli cells I was conffffused!

I Asked my teacher about that it was germ cell, heres why, there were many black big dots, on the membrane + scattered around, with different sizes so its germ cells dividing n stuff, i got it right

Acetominophen was the most effective drug during the first 7 days.

I put sertoli cells, but most of my friends said it was germinal epithelium cells. (only question i wasn't sure about on p1)

I think germinial epithelium cells are on the outside! Some people said they could see a tail on the cells so it could be a sperm! I put sertoli too. Umm oh shoot I got that wrong then, was aspirin the least effective then after 7 days?

nop interstitial cells are on the outside, those that secrete testosterone.. germinal cells are the ones which turn into sperms, so ofcoarse you might see tails, but the label was on the ones with and without tails, so its germ cells :D

Acetominophen was the most effective drug during the first 7 days.

I put sertoli cells, but most of my friends said it was germinal epithelium cells. (only question i wasn't sure about on p1)

I think germinial epithelium cells are on the outside! Some people said they could see a tail on the cells so it could be a sperm! I put sertoli too. Umm oh shoot I got that wrong then, was aspirin the least effective then after 7 days?

I remember that question I choose germinal cells because:

in the option we had sperm and sertoli cells and both are found in the middle of the sminefrus tubule and that is not where the arrow was pointing.. the other two options were Leydge cells and germinal cells.. the leydge cells are found in the basement membrane and that again wasn't where the arrow is pointing and germinal cells are found at the edge of the tubule and that is where the arrow was pointing..

• Like 1