Biology HL P1 and P2 - TZ2

vids.10

I remember that question I choose germinal cells because:

in the option we had sperm and sertoli cells and both are found in the middle of the sminefrus tubule and that is not where the arrow was pointing.. the other two options were Leydge cells and germinal cells.. the leydge cells are found in the basement membrane and that again wasn't where the arrow is pointing and germinal cells are found at the edge of the tubule and that is where the arrow was pointing..

Yep your right, how about the clonal selection, i think i got that one wrong, i chose the identical organisms, its probably wrong :(

okay! And was that a polar or non-polar amino acid I put polar very very confusing though coz it was at the centre! I put C for plasmid but i'm not sure some people say it was chromosome option D.

The amino acid question is polar, because in membrane bounded proteins the non-polar amino acids are on the outside in order to interact with the hydrophobic part of the membrane and the inside of the protein is polar in order for polar molecule to pass..

The plasmid question is a circular DNA and not chromosome because its only a piece of DNA that bacteria exchange and it isn't a chromosome..

• Like 1

Yep your right, how about the clonal selection, i think i got that one wrong, i chose the identical organisms, its probably wrong :(

The clonal selection was D i don't really remember. The answer is about a specific B or T cells being cloned.. When the macrophage engulfs a pathogen it presents a part of its antigen so a specific B or T cell would recognize it and clone itself several time and that is called clonal selection..

I found section A of paper 2 extremely confusing. The data questions, what in the world was that?! It made no sense cause there are multiple ways to interpret the graphs that were given.. I hope the boundaries are decent for this year because this paper was just impossible.

I sincerely hope the IB allows multiple ways to evaluate those graphs coz otherwise I can kiss my 7 goodbye, paper 2 I thought was my best paper lol! Oh did you guys do the plant science question in section B, you talked about the suction and all right, and the columns of water with H bonding cohesive and adhesive forces?

I sincerely hope the IB allows multiple ways to evaluate those graphs coz otherwise I can kiss my 7 goodbye, paper 2 I thought was my best paper lol! Oh did you guys do the plant science question in section B, you talked about the suction and all right, and the columns of water with H bonding cohesive and adhesive forces?

yes i did that. And talked about that yes, all about the forces of attraction in water, the transpiration pull, evaporation, transpiration stream and the xylem vessels. I'm pretty sure about that answer of mine.. :clap:

Yep it was D!

Yup.. it was D..yipee.. :)

The clonal selection was D i don't really remember. The answer is about a specific B or T cells being cloned.. When the macrophage engulfs a pathogen it presents a part of its antigen so a specific B or T cell would recognize it and clone itself several time and that is called clonal selection..

YES! Thats a clonal section, right! :D

okay! And was that a polar or non-polar amino acid I put polar very very confusing though coz it was at the centre! I put C for plasmid but i'm not sure some people say it was chromosome option D.

It cannot be D..chromosomes in bacteria, no! Yes, plasmid is a circular..

And again the answer is POLAR for the X arrow labelling. As already explained...

The amino acid question is polar, because in membrane bounded proteins the non-polar amino acids are on the outside in order to interact with the hydrophobic part of the membrane and the inside of the protein is polar in order for polar molecule to pass..

The plasmid question is a circular DNA and not chromosome because its only a piece of DNA that bacteria exchange and it isn't a chromosome..

:)

What was the answer for that diaphragm figure?? That was the only question i am not sure about! Is anyone completely sure about that answer? did they say that answer according to the diagram? Because there it was relaxed, but i wrote the answer as the C i guess, it was the one involving contraction of the diaphragm, nothing else made sense to me. Please tell what did you people choose for that?

What was the answer for that diaphragm figure?? That was the only question i am not sure about! Is anyone completely sure about that answer? did they say that answer according to the diagram? Because there it was relaxed, but i wrote the answer as the C i guess, it was the one involving contraction of the diaphragm, nothing else made sense to me. Please tell what did you people choose for that?

Ahh...it was C I think...The diapraghm contracts and causes inhalation...

And I don't the pic had anything to do with the question, it was which of the multiple answers correctly described the function of the diaphragm.....

And I don't the pic had anything to do with the question, it was which of the multiple answers correctly described the function of the diaphragm.....

yup! diaphragm contracts to cause inhalation- definitely correct, i checked after the exam to be sure

This isn't quite correct, a T-Cell recognises antigen presented by a macrophage, but a B cell can't recognise antigen that way (although it can itself act as a macrophage to gather antigens, process them and then present them for T-Cells to recognise), it can only recognise soluble antigen. However upon recognition of antigen both do indeed undergo clonal proliferation.

Clonal selection is a bit different from clonal proliferation (which is literally proliferation of a particular cell with a particular antigen receptor such that you get many clones); clonal selection most usually refers to refining the B-Cell's specificity for antigen by making numerous small mutations to its receptor and then testing the new products to see if they're improved or have become worse at recognising the antigen.

These are all niggly little things which hopefully aren't necessary to know to do okay in the IB exam, however!

Yeah all that about xylem vessel, transpiration pull, evaporation, then capillary action, suction, transpiration pull, adhesion, cohesion (H bonding)!! Thats 8 points already hopefully its the 8 theyre looking for ;)! Because if I count the missed data response its 7 points and another 3 points I confused elsewhere in section A! But i'm pretty confident elsewhere so hopefully should still be a low 7!

So then it was the placebo that took the one week to work? Coz it started decreasing the monocyte after a week??

No i don't think so, because it isn't an anti-fever (as they said before). And secondly they were asking for immunity response, which monocyte can't prove i refered to graph 2 which showed that only ibuprofin showed a change after 7 days.

Other than that, i think that the monocyte don't prove any thing, since there is maybe an increase of monocyte production when one drug is used, or may be one drug will kill it or stop its production (so for me it didn't prove anything). Graph 1 and 2 proved more things.

I don't know if any one refered to the point that the sample is small, there was only 14-16 people tested, so what if outliers are there?

lower monocytes=more differentiated into macrophages hence more antibodies and more immunity, I think thats how it goes actually googled it and yeah anti-fever drugs supress development of monocytes so it appears as though whichever drug had a higher monocyte count first and then a lower monocyte count after the first week took a week to work!

yup! diaphragm contracts to cause inhalation- definitely correct, i checked after the exam to be sure

Oh thankssss! Yes! :clap:

Yeah all that about xylem vessel, transpiration pull, evaporation, then capillary action, suction, transpiration pull, adhesion, cohesion (H bonding)!! Thats 8 points already hopefully its the 8 theyre looking for ;)! Because if I count the missed data response its 7 points and another 3 points I confused elsewhere in section A! But i'm pretty confident elsewhere so hopefully should still be a low 7!

yes! Awesome! Was section A data response only 7 marks in total?? Because even i have messed up that! :(

In paper 1, what was the answer for that soil and mineral thing? The K+ ions were supposed to move by which transport method??? I think it was either active transport or simple diffusion, and i remember they had mentioned MOSTLY in the question, but not sure, what was the answer?

Also, in paper 2, Sec A, i guess it was the last question where they asked something about the importance of vascular bundle, the xylem and phloem thing, and it was 3 marks. What all we had to write for those 3 marks?

Can someone please tell me the total marks for Sec A, Q1, data based?

Thank you and all the best :good:

Edited by vids.10

In paper 1, what was the answer for that soil and mineral thing? The K+ ions were supposed to move by which transport method??? I think it was either active transport or simple diffusion, and i remember they had mentioned MOSTLY in the question, but not sure, what was the answer?

Also, in paper 2, Sec A, i guess it was the last question where they asked something about the importance of vascular bundle, the xylem and phloem thing, and it was 3 marks. What all we had to write for those 3 marks?

Can someone please tell me the total marks for Sec A, Q1, data based?

Thank you and all the best :good:

K+ ions are mostly taken by the root via active transport but sometimes it can be absorbed by simple diffusion so the answer is active transport..

for the importance of vascular bundle I'm not really sure but this is what I wrote: if a plant has the bundle then it can grow taller since it ca transport food + water from one place to the other. In addition by being able to transport stuff then some organs can differentiate to produce sugar (source) while other can turn into storage organs (sink). Thirdly I said that both Xylem & phloem are cover with legnin which is strong and contributes to the plants strength and its shape...

The anti-fever question was a big one it was worth 11 marks and I totally missed up over there.. I hope it doesn't miss up my overall mark I really did well in paper 1 & 3 + my IA was great..

Edited by Sara.Taha