University of Waterloo Engineering

Ti-83

I'm pretty dead set on going to Waterloo for Engineering (though I do have some other schools on my list just in case) but I've never understood how their acceptances work. I'm in grade 11 right now and in about 6 months university applications will start. I know that the course that I want to take requires 5 specific courses and 1 other 12U course. But is that all the university looks at when they're accepting? I'm almost certain I won't be accepted early with my Grade 11 marks because they aren't exactly amazing. However, university applications are due before the end of 1st semester every year so I'm wondering how they choose applicants since I wouldn't have taken all the required courses by that time next year. Also, one last question to anyone who's currently taking engineering at Waterloo or some other university, what were your grades like? I'm probably going to have a 90-ish average and I'm worried that it won't be enough to get accepted. Thanks to anyone who answers, I'm really stressed over this!

I didn't apply for Waterloo engineering but I can give you some info.

Waterloo doesn't only look at your marks when they consider you. They also look at your AIF (Admission Information Form) where you have to fill out your extracurricular activities and they might ask you stuff like why you want to be an engineer, why Waterloo etc.

If you're not finished all your prerequisites in time for admission decisions, they might look at your grade 11 marks or they might just look at the grade 12 courses you completed, I'm not sure.

Waterloo engineering sends out two rounds of acceptances as far as I know of...one in March and one in May. The better your grade 11 marks are, the better chance you have of being accepted in March.

A 90% average should be enough to get into most of their engineering programs. Some people were accepted with high 80 averages. But remember that they don't only look at marks.

• Like 2

I recently received an offer of admission for honours mechanical engineering at Waterloo, and I think my grades are in the high 80s or something. The scholarship is like one grand or something. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to U of T instead, they offered me an even larger one (surprising isn't it?!). Waterloo isn't exactly the best engineering school out there; I'm pretty sure their co-op programs are one of the only things that appeal to students. You still have a year to make a university decision.

When you read their IB requirements, you'll need at least a 5 in their prerequisite subjects. If you are confident about your marks, I can bet you will be in the safe for Waterloo. What Summer Glau said too, the AIF is also important in their consideration. Good luck!

• Like 1

I think you need math HL for waterloo engineering.

It is recommended, but you don't need it.

Well I am taking Math HL but since my IB school (if you can call it that, we have 7 full IB students; Yay for living in a small town in Ontario) doesn't offer physics SL or HL I'm taking it during the summer as a regular Ontario course. Because of that I doubt any university will actually accept me based on my IB marks instead of my Ontario marks. I went into IB knowing this and I don't regret it since the main reason I took IB was for the more rigorous experience and the people in my classes (they tend to be a tad more mature).

I'm feeling a bit more confident now but I noticed that on the AIF you can put your achievements for math contests like the Waterloo one. I did that contest in 9th and 10th grade and got into the 10th percentile both times but I was sick on the day of the contest this year. Is there another one next year for grade 12s? I hope that one sick day doesn't screw me over or give me some disadvantage or something. Anyways, thank you for your replies, I'll be sure to keep my marks up :P

I think you need math HL for waterloo engineering.

It is recommended, but you don't need it.

Well I am taking Math HL but since my IB school (if you can call it that, we have 7 full IB students; Yay for living in a small town in Ontario) doesn't offer physics SL or HL I'm taking it during the summer as a regular Ontario course. Because of that I doubt any university will actually accept me based on my IB marks instead of my Ontario marks. I went into IB knowing this and I don't regret it since the main reason I took IB was for the more rigorous experience and the people in my classes (they tend to be a tad more mature).

I'm feeling a bit more confident now but I noticed that on the AIF you can put your achievements for math contests like the Waterloo one. I did that contest in 9th and 10th grade and got into the 10th percentile both times but I was sick on the day of the contest this year. Is there another one next year for grade 12s? I hope that one sick day doesn't screw me over or give me some disadvantage or something. Anyways, thank you for your replies, I'll be sure to keep my marks up :P

Yes, there is a grade 12 contest and beyond. You should sign yoursef up for the Fermat or Euclid (< did I spell that right?) Don't worry, there's still hope and plenty of time :)

• Like 1