Computer Science EE

AGarcia

Hi, i´ve thought on doing my EE on Computer Science, but the problem is that you cant take this subject at my school. Can I ask for help to any teacher, or it has to be an CS teacher? What teacher should i ask, the maths one?

I´ve some experience programming, but havent done anything in Java, but I can use any language I want, isnt it? All the EE samples I´ve seen are about networks and security, but i would like to do it about AI, probably neural networks, is it a good topic?

Thanks in advance

Edited by AGarcia

Of course neural networks would be an excellent study area, but you will have to choose a specific topic within this field. While you can write some programs in the course of your study, the development of the code will not itself count towards your mark for the essay.

The EE supervisor must be an appropriately qualified teacher within your school, and normally the EE topic should be on one of the IB subjects that you are studying for your diploma. For your coordinator to authorise an exception, I think that the supervising teacher would have to be someone with experience of neural networks.

One possibility might be to look at a problem in artificial intelligence or machine learning, like classification, for example. Then look at the advantages and disadvantages of neural networks for this problem in relation to others (SVM, kNN, naive Bayes, etc.), test them for speed, accuracy, etc. (I don't know how much detail I'm supposed to give)

That was actually my first EE topic idea. I don't know if it was a topic or not though, it was just immediately rejected because my school doesn't have a computer science teacher. Good luck!

Of course neural networks would be an excellent study area, but you will have to choose a specific topic within this field. While you can write some programs in the course of your study, the development of the code will not itself count towards your mark for the essay.

The EE supervisor must be an appropriately qualified teacher within your school, and normally the EE topic should be on one of the IB subjects that you are studying for your diploma. For your coordinator to authorise an exception, I think that the supervising teacher would have to be someone with experience of neural networks.

Ok, thanks, I already knew the program wouldnt count, i was thinking of comapring the results of them in diferent environments. Then I have a problem, because I dont have any thecher with experience in neural networks... well, i dont have any teacher that knows what oop means XD

Well I don't take computer science, but my school's website has a bunch of previous EEs by Computer Science students, I'd be more than happy to email them to you

That would be great! Would you send me a link?

One possibility might be to look at a problem in artificial intelligence or machine learning, like classification, for example. Then look at the advantages and disadvantages of neural networks for this problem in relation to others (SVM, kNN, naive Bayes, etc.), test them for speed, accuracy, etc. (I don't know how much detail I'm supposed to give)

That was actually my first EE topic idea. I don't know if it was a topic or not though, it was just immediately rejected because my school doesn't have a computer science teacher. Good luck!

Yep, thats what i thought to do, but i have the same problem, so i dont know what i will do, i´ll ask my coordinator...

Thanks to everybody!!!

• 3 months later...