History IA Section A?

fatendestinny

Hi,

I'm a HL History student and for my IA my research question is:

Who was to blame for the Partition disaster after the Indian independence?

my question is about Section A where you need to put the Research question it self, the scope and the methodology

What do you put in scope and methodology? what do those things mean? i was given a handout/booklet about it but i can't find it at all!

please tell me what should be put under scope and methodology!!

So far i know that scope is the time frame but then i looked up some example IA's and their scope was a long paragraph.

The basic idea of having a scope is simply stating what you're going to be examining in detail throughout the course of your IA, and stating what factors you are not going to talk about. Also, you need to be able to state the two main sources you will be using. That's it. Try to remember as well, that you have a word count to stick to, so don't make your section A too long. I remember mine was about 195 words and my IA as a whole was about 1,948 words; just under the limit.

Edited by nametaken

some great tips: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/schools/rmhs/departments/socialstudies/ibhistoryia/sections.htm

and about the scope: i disagree with the post above. don't include what you won't be talking about! i read examiners reports for history and they keep mentioning that there is no need to talk about stuff you won't be dealing with, only include what you WILL be talking about and what aspects you will investigate.

some great tips: http://www.montgomer...ia/sections.htm

and about the scope: i disagree with the post above. don't include what you won't be talking about! i read examiners reports for history and they keep mentioning that there is no need to talk about stuff you won't be dealing with, only include what you WILL be talking about and what aspects you will investigate.

Ah well. I was taught that it is helpful in having stated some sort of limit. Perhaps that was due to my research question being a bit broad. But, still. I did really well for it.

I'd just add that for the methodology part, dont't state the obvious. This was my biggest problem in my History IA, I wrote sentences like "To get a sufficient level of understanding of the events that took place in Germany during the night of November 9-10, 1938, several primary and secondary sources have to be investigated." When I wrote that it sounded like a great way to nail the methodology part but when I got the feedback from our history teacher and was forced to think again, I understood that I'm really just repeating what we all know. Be specific, mention the names of the works and their authors.