Universities in the EU

Mandiloquence

Hi,

So, I live in the United States and I would like to go to a university in the EU (preferably England, Greece, or Cyprus), and I was browsing through some colleges websites. When I was looking at Cambridge's website (I won't get in, but it looks like fun :P ) some of the requirements were things I had never heard of. Plus I saw this:

"Offers are regularly made on the International Baccalaureate, at a level of between 7,6,6 and 7,7,7 in the Higher Level subjects, with overall scores between 38 and 42 points out of 45 . For matriculation purposes, grade 5 or above in the Standard Level of the IB is considered equivalent to GCSE grades A, B or C and grade 5 or above at Higher Level is considered equivalent to A level.. For advice about suitable subject choices see course requirements. "

I was wondering...are you not accepted or denied until AFTER you take your IB tests in May? Because that would be quite frightening...or are these based on your predicted grades? (And if they are, what should I do if my school doesn't offer predicted grades?)

Also, if anyone could please explain to me what A levels, and GSCE, and AS, and AAAs and all the terms are, I would REALLY appreciate that! Because I'm very confused. xP

-GSCE stands for General Certificate of Secondary Education, which is kind of like qualifications in England taken by all high school students 14-16.

-As for A-Levels (short for Advanced Level), its a GCSE qualification for secondary school students usually in the last two years of high school.

-I do not know what AS or AAA's are, sorry :)

I think that when you get your predicted grades from your teachers, you can apply for universities but im not sure. Best to wait and make sure your grades are accurate :)

Hope I've helped :)

AS is the first 'part' of A-levels so to speak. In American terms, you'd take AS in the 11th grade, with exams at the end of that year. Then in 12th grade, you'd take A2 which is the second part of A-levels, again with exams at the end of the year. Usually an A-level student would do around 5 AS subjects then drop down to 3-4 A2 subjects, so AAA would be the grades you'd get if (ideally) if you do 3 A-levels (subjects). A level is marked A-E I believe.

So what happens wit UK uni is that you apply. They'd give you a CONDITIONAL offer which is a combination of IB points. If you meet this condition of points, then you are accepted to the uni. So yes you wouldn't know for SURE until you have your IB grades.

So, you could get an offer to Cambridge of 41 points with 776 HL which means to get into Cambridge, you'd have to have an overall IB grade of 41 points, with grades 776 at your HL subjects (or higher). A-level offers are given out similarly, which is where the AAA comes in. Yes, offers are based on your academic transcripts and your predicted grades.

Thank you so much! The explanations were both very helpful! But, that leads me to another question: What should I do if my school doesn't offer predicted grades (and US grades don't exactly coincide with UK grades...)? Also, if you don't get your IB points, you aren't accepted to the university!? Wow, that's interesting. I guess US schools are easier to get into then, considering they let everyone know by April whether they are accepted; which is why some students just fail their IB exams because they stop caring after they've been accepted to a college.

Edited by greekamprincess

Hmm, really? Because I have asked several of my teachers and they said that they don't give them...I don't know. I shall ask my IBC on Monday. Right now I'm on Spring Break! =]

i think they just don't give them to you. I'm pretty sure they have to predict for the IBO and a lot of universities ask for predicted grades as well

Oh I just noticed the other part.

Strictly speaking yes, if you don't get the conditions you don't get in the university. However, if you are just say 1 point off your condition you can always call in and ask them whether they'd take you anyway. They're more likely to take students they've already accepted than those applying for them through Clearing (Clearing in a nutshell is when you apply last minute to other universities because you haven't gotten into your unis because you missed your conditions). A friend of mine got 36 points with 566 at HL (or something like that) when her offer to UCL was something with 667 HL (she missed it by a point basically) and she called in and they accepted her in the end. Of course it doesn't happen every single time and they'd make you wait until the A levels results come out in August to see how many of those Alevels people missed their offer as well. I guess partly it's the impression you make on the admission person when you talk to them as well.

i think they just don't give them to you. I'm pretty sure they have to predict for the IBO and a lot of universities ask for predicted grades as well

Haha, I suppose that's also possible, but I don't think it's likely because we don't take mock exams or anything. And our teachers are very open with us, generally. I'll post when I go back to school and get the info on this. :angryspeech:

Ya Hien, my school didn't produce predicted grades for anyone other than IBO unless you asked for them.

OP As level stands for Advanced subsidiary, like Hien said, you'd do that in year 11 and then do A2 in year 12, Hien A-level is marked A-U =p

and Just out of curiosity, why Cyprus? the only university there is Uni of Cyp (well until intecollege becomes a uni in a year or two time), and the courses are mostly in Greek! lol

EDIT: unless you're talking about the Turkish side, but I don't know anything about Unis there =p

Ya Hien, my school didn't produce predicted grades for anyone other than IBO unless you asked for them.

OP As level stands for Advanced subsidiary, like Hien said, you'd do that in year 11 and then do A2 in year 12, Hien A-level is marked A-U =p

and Just out of curiosity, why Cyprus? the only university there is Uni of Cyp (well until intecollege becomes a uni in a year or two time), and the courses are mostly in Greek! lol

EDIT: unless you're talking about the Turkish side, but I don't know anything about Unis there =p

Haha, everyone always wants to know why Cyprus. I love it though! I'm Greek Cypriot citizen (and US citizen), and I've been visiting there every summer of my life. I have so many friends (and tons of family there). Plus I'd get paid to go to college, and after I obtain my first degree I can apply to Oxford or Cambridge for my masters and stuff. (A few of my friends did that and saved a TON of money!) I do speak Greek, but I'm going to need to improve my grammar for the classes. :D

Oh, and the place is gorgeous. Especially compared to the US. :P

But definitely not the Turkish side. :yes: My dad won't even let me go over there. I'm very supportive of freeing Cyprus. :D

Btw, how do you know that much about Cyprus? Most people don't even know it exists. XD

• 5 weeks later...

i've been looking at UK universities as well...and i have to say i am also confused about the billions of entry requirements

particularly cambridge, would someone be able to clear this up for me?

is it a myth or fact that you have to have a HL language (A1, A2 or B) to go to cambridge?

if so ack! i am only doing SL english and french!!!!

Haha, everyone always wants to know why Cyprus. I love it though! I'm Greek Cypriot citizen (and US citizen), and I've been visiting there every summer of my life. I have so many friends (and tons of family there). Plus I'd get paid to go to college, and after I obtain my first degree I can apply to Oxford or Cambridge for my masters and stuff. (A few of my friends did that and saved a TON of money!) I do speak Greek, but I'm going to need to improve my grammar for the classes. :wub:

Oh, and the place is gorgeous. Especially compared to the US. :angry:

But definitely not the Turkish side. ^_^ My dad won't even let me go over there. I'm very supportive of freeing Cyprus. :D

Btw, how do you know that much about Cyprus? Most people don't even know it exists. :lol:

oh wow this is a late reply! but just got back on the forum since I got back to Uni ;) I'm pretty much useless when I'm here!

anyway I know so much about it because I'm half Cypriot aren't I? :D

i've been looking at UK universities as well...and i have to say i am also confused about the billions of entry requirements

is it a myth or fact that you have to have a HL language (A1, A2 or B) to go to cambridge?

depends on the course you're applying to dude, they won't require HL language for med school now would they?

Nah you dont need a higher level in a language to apply for cambridge unless your applying to take a language. You do need a decent level of english to get in, just because its all taught in english. Another note I think is worth mentioning, is that to apply to Oxford and Cambrige you have to have sent your completed UCAS aplication form by october 15th which is earlier than other British Uni's. I think this probably applies to non British students but im not sure.

oh wow this is a late reply! but just got back on the forum since I got back to Uni :angry: I'm pretty much useless when I'm here!

anyway I know so much about it because I'm half Cypriot aren't I? :D

Yay! Another Cypriot! That's quite rare. :wub:

I have another question about applying to Oxford: if I would like to study Physics or Physics and Philosophy, but my school doesn't offer Physics above the "honors" level, is there anything else that I can do to fulfill the entrance requirements for those subjects?

I think they want at least AP Physics. Try contacting the admissions office, they can usually answer questions like this! :mellow:

Actually, I did e-mail the undergraduate admissions office. The response I got was "Please be advised to take the academic route which will fulfil the requirements for the course which you wish to pursue (for Physics/Physics and Philosophy, you should be studying Mathematics and Physics to the equivalent of A Level standard, and for Philosophy an essay-based subject might also be helpful), and also the course which you feel you will enjoy the most and be most successful in." And this was after I presented them with my dilemma...any advice?