Should I Take IB, yay or nay?

So i am a freshmen and i am taking all the courses that are required for me to start the IB program in 2 years. Do you guys recommend i should do it?? i am pretty stuck on doing it but my brother procrastinated and he hated it a lot. but that is just him. i have considerably better work habits with large projects. is that a good thing? i think it is. So anyway, i just want to know your guys' general opinion on the whole program.

It all depends on your work habits, how involved you want to be in extracurriculars, what kind of classes you want to take (for example there is a HUGE difference between HL Physics and HL Theatre), and if you want to have an active social life (that doesn't include study parties). Also, you should consider what your plans are after high school and if IB would be worth it for what you want to go into. IB isn't for everyone, but has been extremely helpful to those who used it correctly. Just weigh the options and decide for yourself. Oh, and DON'T take IB because your parents/guidance counselor/friends tell you too, or because you feel masochistic. :) You'll definitely regret that.

Personally, I love it and think my life would be empty without IB. But I'm just a nerd. :)

I suggest you do take IB if your serious about taking it. Also, your attitude towards studying WILL have a major impact on your attitude toward IB. If you procrastinate a lot ( like me :) ), then it could hold you down, but just remember not to overdo it.

Good Luck

I say yay!!

I'm in IB1.. for sure, the workload is not light and you might swear at the IB during the two first years, but my brother went to sevenoaks a couple of years ago (now at Oxford) and he still says it was one of the best decisions he's ever made. His friends say the same B) so I'm pumped to get my diploma

then again if your brother hated it there is a possibility that the layout of the programme just doesn't match your gene pool :)

Edited by london

I'd definitely recommend IB to almost anyone who's willing to do it, BUT just make sure you are prepared to work hard. As long as you're interested in IB and organised, then I think you should go for it. Although people may tell you it's horrible and there's a lot of hard work (although sometimes I find myself thinking this!), it's actually not that bad. In fact, some parts of IB are easier than the approximate equivalent in the other course that's offered (I'm not sure what it would be for you, but in South Australia, for example, the maths I would have taken if I had studied SACE is harder than Maths SL in IB!)

And it's NOT true that you lose your social life when you take IB! I still manage to juggle the workload AND spend time with friends :)

In the first year IB is generally pretty easygoing, from my experience that is. But come the second year, its the hard work you need to put in because its the defining moment, and thats when the stress comes in with all the deadlines. The key is consistency, only then will you be able to juggle both work and life (friends, movies etc.) and not feel too much pressure.

Are you up to the challenge?

• 1 month later...

if you can take on two years of crazy work, then i suggest you do it. you have to have good grades right now, but its good because it presents a challenge and i heard that college becomes easier when you do the IB diploma. plus, CAS may seem annoying, but ive done a lot of things i wouldn't have if ib didn't push me.

I'm really glad I took IB, I think I have more of a social life now I'm in college than I did before, despite being a 4HL IB student! If you make sure you take subjects you really like and don't be afraid to take Environmental Systems or Maths Studies if you don't like Science and Maths (I made the big mistake of taking Chemistry just because I liked it and am now struggling) or ab initio languages if you don't like languages.

I don't know how it would work out where you are, but in my college only 120 out of 2000 students take IB, so we're quite a close group and really friendly and get on well. It's much more sociable than the rest of the college in fact, which is totally not what I was expecting!

As far as study habits go- I would say that if you do a reasonable amount of work steadily, it's really not a problem. You have to be a pretty smartass special kind of person to survive if you do it all at the last minute, and even if you are, you wont do as well. You don't need to work super ridiculously hard and forego all social life, but it's not easy.

If you like learning (I know that sounds really nerdy but IB isn't so much regurgitating facts as actually learning and there is scope for adjustment to things) then I would say go for it!

Yay. Like its been said, if you're looking for a challenge or you want to be prepared for college, go for it. You learn how to balance cas, extended essays, your social life, and work. It seems tough at first, and i can't say it gets easier, you just get better at handling it. Good luck, whatever you decide =)

I would say to take it if you intend to pursue a good university, especially if it is one overseas especially for Europe. If you know exactly where you want to go then I would recommend contacting and asking if the IB holds any merit with them. I know in the States and Canada some universities offer credits for IB subjects such as TOK and English, this would make the transfer into university life easier as you could take more spares or subjects you have always been interested in but not had time for previously. It also gets you more prepared for the intensity of university.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd definitely recommend the IB Diploma program! From the IB alumni of my school, aside from adapting in the beginning, they claim that the IB was a life-changing experience, even if they did fail the diploma. IB prepares you for college life, in my opinion, and teaches you valuable skills such as time management, prioritizing, and being a balanced student (not just focused on academics, being a holistic student with CAS). If you can handle the course work, I'd say go for it. Try it out, and see if it works!

i think you should take IB since it is a challenge (well thats what people say ;) ) and because it is a good experience and it prepares you for universty or at least gives you an idea of the work load coming ahead!!

BUT in the end its your choice and you should see wether or not IB fits you and your future plans :P