Changing Schools Dilemma

Dew

I will be transferring schools over the summer to Calgary due to my father's work. My only problem is the fact that the IB school's in Calgary don't have Economics and Physics HL. This means that I will have to Change up my HLs and SLs to the following:

HL:

Math

Chemistry

Social Studies

SL:

French Ab Initio

English A1

Physics

I don't have a problem with standardizing Physics because Universities look for students who've taken the best option that was offered to them. That being said, I have no idea what Social Studies is about and in order for me to be able to get into the school, I will have to read and catch myself up to where they have studied in IB1 over the summer and pass their IB1 exam...

Would anyone be able to give me any information on Social Studies and what books I should read.

Yes, aren't social studies (humanities) just your group 3 courses. Why do you have that listed in the post instead of Economics which is in your signature? And to clarify, social studies is just the study of the behaviour of humans in different disciplines.

• Like 1

Yeah I think the last time I took social studies was in grade 6 or something :P Like the people above have said, social studies isn't an IB course in itself.

Call up your new school and ask what exactly they mean by a social studies course. They might have meant your Group 3 subject which is supposed to be a humanities subject that you choose from what your school offers. Like for example the IB humanities courses my school offers are economics, history, and philosophy.

If your school offers economics as a humanities course, it would of course be most logical to take that as you have already learned some of it.

• Like 1

Yes, aren't social studies (humanities) just your group 3 courses. Why do you have that listed in the post instead of Economics which is in your signature? And to clarify, social studies is just the study of the behaviour of humans in different disciplines.

I called and they said that they don't offer Economics and in their site it said 'Social Studies 20'

Yeah I think the last time I took social studies was in grade 6 or something :P Like the people above have said, social studies isn't an IB course in itself.

Call up your new school and ask what exactly they mean by a social studies course. They might have meant your Group 3 subject which is supposed to be a humanities subject that you choose from what your school offers. Like for example the IB humanities courses my school offers are economics, history, and philosophy.

If your school offers economics as a humanities course, it would of course be most logical to take that as you have already learned some of it.

They don't have econ but yeah I should call them again and inquire about it. Thanks:)

Gd luck with Math Hl ! I don't know about Social Studies but you will love Math Hl espically the IA's gd luck ;)

I've finished IB1, I know how Math HL is and I agree with you, It's SUPERB!:)

• Like 1

How long is your summer? :| I'm asking because catching up with the course material for two subjects (even if one is an SL) seems like a whole lot of work... but I understand that there's much you can do about it since there are external factors affecting your move into this school.

Since you have already been in contact with the school perhaps the best thing to do is call them and ask which textbooks they use for the Social Studies 20 course? I found this after some googling :P :

"Welcome to Social 20, IB style. What this means is that rather than study Social Studies per se you will be studying history, specifically European history from roughly the beginning of the eighteenth century to the end of World War I."

This was from some school that offered Social Studies 20. In the document they also cited this textbook: Palmer, R. R., Joel Colton, and Lloyd Kramer, A History of the Modern World. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006.

Good luck! :)

How long is your summer? :| I'm asking because catching up with the course material for two subjects (even if one is an SL) seems like a whole lot of work... but I understand that there's much you can do about it since there are external factors affecting your move into this school.

Since you have already been in contact with the school perhaps the best thing to do is call them and ask which textbooks they use for the Social Studies 20 course? I found this after some googling :P :

"Welcome to Social 20, IB style. What this means is that rather than study Social Studies per se you will be studying history, specifically European history from roughly the beginning of the eighteenth century to the end of World War I."

This was from some school that offered Social Studies 20. In the document they also cited this textbook: Palmer, R. R., Joel Colton, and Lloyd Kramer, A History of the Modern World. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006.

Good luck! :)

My school uses this textbook, and I'd just like to say that it can be kind of lacking in some areas, while decent in others. It's good for French Revolution, Napoleon, and things like that, but not very good for later things like Italian unification, etc. If you wanted to use this book, I'd make sure you got some other textbooks to use as well. The IB course companions are pretty good.