A major dilemma IB1

Well so im nearing the end of the year in IB1 and my grades are pretty bad

Math SL: 3

Dutch B SL: 3

Business & Management SL: 6

Physics HL: 2

Economics HL: 6

English HL 5

Im in danger of failing the year mainly because of Physics which im struggling to get even a sufficient grade and I was thinking if I should change it to SL physics, Business & Management to HL and change Math SL to math studies which is significantly easier, but in the future im planning on studying Business which I have heard requires at least SL math at most universities. So im stuck with two choices either change up my subject selections this late in the year or risk repeating the year. I just don't know what to do right now and I'm just really stressed out thinking about this.

I strongly suggest what you have described up there earlier: switch physics HL to SL; it is considered the hardest course to do well- and although the course offers a generous conversion, that does not seem to be enough in your case. The grade boundaries are even lower for physics SL. Considering what you are studying, I believe switching from B&M SL to HL (as you do not seem to be very strong in the other SL subjects)- would be the perfect choice to pull up your marks while studying towards what you might be doing in university. You've pretty much made a good plan yourself!

As for math, the course shouldn't be so difficult if you do revision routinely. The concepts come fairly and you shouldn't have a problem with it if you're doing your coursework as it arrives. I don't suggest switching this one to Studies because as you said many places don't allow it, but by all means, if you find a place in which you're interested that does allow Studies, you should consider it. Most of the time they look for an overall score total in their admissions process. But just remember that Math SL gives you a more solid foundation for your studying in university, offering calculus as you should know. Good luck with your decision!

Suggest you change your 'Exams" date so you don't confuse our members.

• Like 2

Personally, I did the switch of Maths Standard Level to Maths Studies, however I have no intention on doing anything "number" related - well not so significantly that it is required for university, so I say try working hard during holidays and revise revise revise if you want to get the good grades I guess