G4 Biology Water Pollution - help with topic

MariusIBDP

Hey,

I'm a Biology SL student and I need to do my Groupg 4 project. I have absolutely no idea on how to do it, as our biology teacher is not very helpful. Our main topic is environment and our group's subtopic is water pollution. We have to investigate a stream that flows through the city. It is definitely polluted. It's area is <100m2 and it is a very weak stream.

Could you help me to come up with a topic, as I'm not bio-savvy and have no idea how to come-up with the topic?

I would EXTREMELY appreciate your help :)

Edited by MariusIBDP

From a biological (rather than chemical) perspective a sensitive indication of water pollution is the dissolved oxygen (DO). Sewage treatment facilities have an instrument for measuring this directly, and you might be able to borrow it to check some samples from the stream. Otherwise you can make the measurements in your school lab by the Winkler test.

• Like 1

From a biological (rather than chemical) perspective a sensitive indication of water pollution is the dissolved oxygen (DO). Sewage treatment facilities have an instrument for measuring this directly, and you might be able to borrow it to check some samples from the stream. Otherwise you can make the measurements in your school lab by the Winkler test.

In addition to what HiggsHunter mentioned, taking water pollution from a biological perspective, you can determine the level of the pollution in the river using indicator species...

Indicator species are species that require a certain environment to live, for example, some require highly oxygenated water and cannot be found in highly polluted water as other species now are present....

I recommend that you check out the student sheet on this website for a list of these indicator species...http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-biology/monitoring-water-pollution-invertebrate-indicator-species... (Invertebrate indicators of pollution (596 KB))

Also, if you choose to look at it from a Chemistry point of view, there is a whole topic (Option E) on Environemntal Chemistry and a subject dedicated to water pollution...It can also be useful for some background information.

Hope this helps and good luck....

Really thanks, HiggsHunter. I think I'll choose that topic.

Ageha, thats a gppd topic, unfortunately, a person from my group has already chosen it :/ I was thinking about finding plant species, but unfortunately I didn't find any. Also, there is lack of time, as the presentation is due today :D