Chemistry Extended Essay: Alcohol Content

Daniel.E.Li

Hello, so I have come up with my idea for an Extended Essay, and have gotten it approved. (Yay!)

So after researching and coming up with the basic bulk of what I am going to do to research it, e.g. Methods of Experiments, Chemical and Equipment forms, the general gist of what I plan to do in the coming month for the practicals, I am left stumped as to exactly how to phrase my EE Question.

I have given it some thought, but overall the question itself seems far too vague.

It is (Currently): Which method of measuring the alcoholic content of alcoholic drinks would be the best, under a number of categories?

Although I plan to introduce these categories in the introduction, should the question actually contain these categories, or would it just be too long if I added these categories (although it would be more specific) if I will explain it shortly?

What do you mean by categories? :/

Also you have to define "best" in your question. Best as in lowest experimental error? Higest accuracy in measurement (comparing it to an already published value)? Highest precision (how close together each of the different measurements are)?

You can focus on one alcoholic drink or a few different drinks. I think it would be better to pick somewhere between 1-5 different drinks so that you keep your essay focused.

It doesn't hurt to put the different categories in your question but I think it would be a bit long if you mentioned all of them. You can start with a broader question for the sake of not having an extremely long title and make your question more precise after the intro.

Thank you for replying!

Well by categories, I mean measurements such as what you said, (Precision, Accuracy, Less Experimental Errors etc.) as well as others I can think of including but not limited to Cost of Equipment and experimenting, how long the experiment will take, and how efficient in terms of how much alcohol is required per repeat measurement.

There will probably be more as I actually try the experiments, as practicals are a sure-fire way to check what can go wrong.

So actually, originally I did plan to only enter one type of drink, and although I actually did neglect to mention that I think, but I do agree having just one drink would make my results quite limited if I am checking the 'best' ways to measure alcohol.

I'll take your suggestion and will put up one or two categories into my question? Probably then it will be broad enough to not be an extremely long title, and also specific enough to not encompass an incredibly large amount of content.

Edited by Daniel.E.Li

• 8 years later...