How to absorb what you read more quickly.

ephika

Hi. Do you guys have any tips on how you can absorb what you read more quickly?

Has anyone of you tried "binaural beats"? Apparently they can put your mind into something called the alpha state (relaxed alertness), which is said to accelerate learning by improving concentration and visualization.

I've heard that the faster you read, the more you absorb (NOTE : it takes practice!). Supposedly, the reason is that people who read slowly tend to reread certain sentence fragments over and over again. You can train yourself by using a ruler and hiding the lines that you've already finished reading.

I would consider myself a fast reader from experience and PRACTICE. I used to read a ton of books (another of my favorite activities I've given up for IB :) ). The best thing to do is practice, but here are a few other things I've heard-

Skip words - some words you can skip while reading (the, and, but, or, a, an, etc.) all these basic words are not necessary to understand the text.

If it helps you to keep your place use something to mark the line you are on. This can be a index card or a ruler like someone else mentioned.

Skim read - don't say the words in your head cause it slows you down just try to absorb them. I believe this comes primarily from practice though.

There are some programs that you can get that will help you, if you are desperate.

Check out the program eyeQ, it's what I used to speed up my reading time. Slow reading, as already mentioned, is because we mentally pronounce and read the word. All that is actually necessary to process information is to train your brain to recognise the word and associate its meaning instantaneously without dealing with phonemes and morphemes etc. Check it out: http://www.infmind.com/

I agree with the people who said not to pronounce the words in your head (that majorly slows down reading time).

However, I've found that I read the fastest if I go to sleep, set my alarm for 3 am and then start reading. When I'm still half asleep I find that I want to read faster to return to sleep AND I retain more information because I go straight to sleep after reading it, so it's recycling in my brain for the test I have to take at 7 am. :angryspeech: However, WARNING: if you don't rehearse the information you read, you most likely won't retain it for more than a week. That's why I only use this technique for history tests (Who gives tests over 300 pages at once?!) :P I really don't like history. So why am I taking it HL again? ...bleh.

• 3 weeks later...

i read in a book once that if you want to remember something connect it with (and there was a list of things) for example, a bomb, a clock, an armchair... (i cant remember them all sorry =S) so all you hav eto do is connect whatever you need to know with these things, like for example you need to remember to take a specific book with you to school so connect it in your mind, like if i dont get take the book the timer for the bomb will start and when the clock strikes 12:00 it will explode, so now everytiem you look at a clock you will remember lol =D

and another thing you could do is write notes, not long and detailed notes but to the point bullit points even if they are on post-its sticking out of books (which really helps) i think that would help to review the important stuff needed.

hope this helps =D

I've never had binueral beats work for me, but some people claim they work. Even if they don't work, the white noise will distract you to the point where you have to focus harder to pay attention. Once you reach this level of focus then the other distractions diminish as well. (This is why some office buildings have speakers that do nothing but produce a soft white noise.)

Sitting up straight and trying to read slightly faster than I normally read tend to help. Occasionally stop and think about what you just read so that it sticks. If you cant remember what you just read then you're reading too fast. :hug:

Guest syrianstar

Just little points to think about before you get ready to revise:

1. Studies link a nutritious breakfast with better maths, memory, verbal reasoning and attention and lower levels of anxiety and hyperactivity. Don't they say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day?

2. As little as 2% dehydration less than it takes to feel thirsty can cause concentration to drop by up to 20%. Always have a bottle of water with you.

And since everyone is talking about how they should read I thought I would add this too:

1. Skim reading - If you want to know if a particular text is useful to you, get an overview of a subject or look for specific facts, don’t waste time reading every word; skim read instead.

2. Fast forward -

• First, check headings, subheads, graphs, captions, bullet points – make sure the text’s useful

• Read first and last paragraphs, they usually introduce and summarize the text

• Skim the whole text, highlighting keywords, making margin notes and symbols (if it’s your book)

• Summarize the whole text in no more than two paragraphs

3. Analytical reading - To clarify a cloudy subject or prepare an essay answer, you need to read analytically.

Finally, not everyone revises in the same way - assess which type of learner you are

1. Are you a Visual learner?

• Don’t sit near a window – too distracting

• No TV – you’ll watch

Are you an Auditory learner?

• Find somewhere you can talk to yourself

• Use a dictation machine to record what you’re learning

• Listen to yourself on the dictation machine

• Use background music

Are you a Kinaesthetic learner?

• Make sure your environment is comfortable

• Have space to walk around

• Keep a complete revision kit, for when inspiration strikes

For more visit this link www.northleamingtonschool.warwickshire.sch.uk/letts-study-buddy.pdf

Edited by syrianstar

I've gathered that, as previously mentioned, practice increases quality and speed of reading.

What I would like to add to the thread (from experience) is that what really works for me when I look to reading better and faster is to stand up and read out loud. It helps me absord what I am reading and therefore provides better reflection upon it. Standing up helps your mind from being distracted as occurs when you are in a comfortable, relaxed and warm position.