Any suggestions on how to handle IB stress!?!?

n00b

So last year for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to take a combination of Math HL, Physics HL, and Chemistry HL. It was alright at the beginning of the year, but now I am overloaded with the amount of work.... In 2 month, I will start my DP2 year. Is there anyone who can give me some tips on handling the stress? Any good/efficient studying method

You have taken a very difficult course combination. If you find that you are struggling at any point in time, I would recommend dropping your worst course to SL if possible. I might be taking this too far, but think about what you might be doing in the future. Are any of these courses THAT important or relevant? More importantly, you should make the necessary considerations if you can, and are, changing your courses.

If you can't do that, definitely check out the link that Summer Glau posted. I haven't read it, but it seems to be worth reading :P

As for studying tips and working efficiently, we can only suggest things for you. You as a student need to find out how you work best; one person's strategy might not be yours so find out what you are struggling with and try to tackle that however you can. The most important thing here is to find out why you are stressed. If you don't, you could be making unnecessary changes in your life which may put you in an even worse situation than now! In general the key to success is constant revision (and successful time management), but I don't think most of us can commit to that, because we have lives (or we try to).

Here are my suggestions:

Write down a to-do timetable. I know might sound a bit silly, and you might think you might just plan it out in your head, but that almost never works. Set goals for yourself and keep that schedule near you, and move along with it accordingly. With a little discipline, you will be able develop a healthy routine.

Don't do other things while doing your work. This was one of the largest regrets of my IB experience. I just couldn't do things at all until the night they were due. You will NOT be efficient. If you want to facebook/msn/game etc., I'm not telling you to not do those things. Do them if you want, and have fun socializing, gaming, without giving a thought about work. But when the time comes to sit down and do work, sit down and do work.

Also, motivate yourself towards your goals. If you find no interest in working, the fact is you will not work.

As for subject related advice, it is important that you study the syllabi to know what you need to know. Sometimes there is supplementary material in textbooks that you don't need to read, and understand. If you don't take this step, you could be wasting time here when you could be doing other things.

Primarily, these subjects are very relatively conceptual and you must commit time to learning them. The sheer amount of content in the three is incredible; again I must stress that you practise and manage your procrastination. Things will come much easier if you are learn and understand the concepts as they come so you won't have to cram for an evaluation.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Marth! I was like him in that I couldn't do work until the night it was due, that's just how I worked though. Also your courses are difficult so it will be harder to do what I did. Also, I found it stressful playing games knowing that I had something due the next day, so I finished what I had to do as quickly as possible to play games and listen to music without a care in the world. :dj: Believe me, it's much nicer knowing you are set for the following day.

Edited by jmarsiglio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did yoga twice a week. Just having that time that I MADE myself go to (unless I was too exhausted in which case I used the time to sleep) - I always had that little bit of time to properly relax and chill out, and I found that that really helped me calm down with my stress. Find a sport/activity that is similar, perhaps? Always good for CAS anyhow... :P

• Like 1