Something we should be doing in the summer?

Guest some guy

Guest some guy

I (am almost) finished with my first year of IB and summer has (almost) started.

Anyway, is there something specific we should be doing in the summer (before our final year of IB)?

Thanks.

Work on your EE a bit (having at least an idea of what you want to do is helpful); if you're really dedicated, you can start and finish your rough draft (nothing incredibly fancy but something decent that you can polish later). I made the mistake of reading my EE books over the summer but not seriously working on it again until December. So I had to reread the books because I forgot a lot of what happened. The EE is best tackled by working intensively over a short peiod of time (preferably time you have off school). For me it was Christmas break, but it can definitely be over the summer too if you're motivated enough to stick it out and finish your draft while everyone else is basking in the sunshine...So if you choose to do your EE over the summer you should try to finish your draft in about 2-3 weeks of intense work. Then put it away for a while and do something fun :)

Getting some CAS out of the way is a good idea in case you haven't done much during the school year.

That's it really. Enjoy your summer because it will be one hell of a ride in IB2 :P

I (am almost) finished with my first year of IB and summer has (almost) started.

Anyway, is there something specific we should be doing in the summer (before our final year of IB)?

Thanks.

My ''plan'' so far for the summer has appeared incredibly overwhelming and impossible to do but I (weirdly) find it quite enjoyable and I feel it relieves a lot of stress and tension that has built up over the past year (I too just finished IB1 and IB2 starts after the summer). A lot (and I mean A LOT) of people told me, before IB1, to just enjoy my summer, last moments of freedom and etc but looking back I think it was really bad advice. A lot of people also recommend that if you are going to do any work at all over the summer, then you should read your A1 novels if you already have them prescribed, and again I find that really, really bad advice. I don't think it's a good idea to slave away reading ahead for all of your subjects, but if you have already bought your books (before IB1 that is) then I would personally recommend (and wish that I had) read a little bit ahead. Almost all of the books (biology, psychology etc) have ''core chapters'' and so it's not like you could possibly end up spending time on something that you don't need. Just having an idea of some of the concepts before the hectic and grueling semester.. I WISH I had done it. IB1 has been by far one of the most difficult years of my life, and I dread the sleeplessness and anxiety of IB2.The reason why I think it's a bad idea to read A1 novels during the summer before any semester is because I feel it's almost impossible to remember anything about them when the time comes, so unless you are the type of person that actually has the self discipline to read all of your novels twice (which is thoroughly recommended - it is such a good idea!) then I wouldn't bother even opening your A1 novels.. I have technically been ''studying'' since I received my final grades for last semester. I was so exhausted after last semester, I literally felt sub-human, but studying during the summer isn't even comparable because I always get enough sleep every single night (and for some reason, enough sleep is always a minimum of 10 hours). I think I took a ''pure break'' of absolutely no studying at all for about 3-4 days, and then I gradually started. I have basically been doing a lot of revising and reading ahead in all of my subjects, and taking past papers, it's really calming and nice to do it without ''being forced to''. I have also started my EE!

I spent my whole summer of IB1 doing things to try to get into Uni. Work experience, volunteering, expeditions and so on. Also some background research for my EE - I really regret not doing more actual work on my EE at the time because I ended up doing it (plus about half of all my IAs!!) over the Christmas holidays instead and so in the last proper break of IB I basically had no time off.

It is a good idea to consider things for University if you need to tick a few boxes - leadership, teamwork, being a good person and all that stuff which will make you a competitive applicant on paper. I second the idea of getting a start on your EE though, you'll really thank yourself for it next year if you can bring yourself to put a burst of effort in now. Otherwise I'd chill and try to enjoy yourself - after this you won't have a chance to do so until next May :P Revision and crap I wouldn't bother with, there's no point remembering it now. Put that work in for your exams, if you do it now you'll only have forgotten it and therefore the gain that comes from it will be = 0 when May rolls around and you'll be starting from scratch anyway.

• Like 1

It's probably a good idea to work on your EE as the others say because next year will be filled with deadlines for IA's and it would be horrible to leave your EE to the last minute so you might as well do it now when there is minimal pressure and less stress. If you need catching up for any subjects this also the time to do it. But yeah definitely make sure you get your rest too and enjoy your break ;)