Sign in to follow this  

Picky choice

I want to do my extended essay on History and I heared that some of the top schools like Harvard and Princeton ask you to send in your Extended Essay

My idea was to analyze the authenticity of the Zimmerman-Telegram which was a major reason why the USA declared war on Germany in World War I. There is evidence that this telegram was a forgery by the British, and I wanted to analyze this.

So this is challenging American history, since I would lay down arguments why America might've been wrong to believe in this British forgery

My question is, will US admission officers not want me because of my EE topic?

They're not supposed to be biased towards not accepting you just because of your topic. If you want to do this topic, then go ahead, just make sure it doesn't sound like a personal attack and back up all your claims with support from noted historians.

I did my EE also in History..my topic was "Did the American government have knowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack?" and I concluded that they did in fact, have some information that could have lead them to believe that Pearl Harbor would be targeted, but they were caught off guard for numerous reasons. Basically I'm insinuating that the American government was stupid and arrogant.

[quote name='__inthemaking' post='14975' date='Apr 13 2008, 10:51 PM']They're not supposed to be biased towards not accepting you just because of your topic. If you want to do this topic, then go ahead, just make sure it doesn't sound like a personal attack and back up all your claims with support from noted historians.

I did my EE also in History..my topic was "Did the American government have knowledge of the Pearl Harbor attack?" and I concluded that they did in fact, have some information that could have lead them to believe that Pearl Harbor would be targeted, but they were caught off guard for numerous reasons. Basically I'm insinuating that the American government was stupid and arrogant.[/quote]

Thanks, I was thinking of doing your option as a plan B. Is it bad if a student would by mistake do an identical EE topic that someone else in the world is doing?

I'm sure there are a more than a few people who have done the same topic. It's only bad, and usually only occurs, if it's something overdone. The examiner will have a greater knowledge about the topic and will probably nit-pick it. Still, if that's the topic that interests you then go for it.

Thanks a lot guys!

I took all advise, but it was just an idea so I wasn't too keen. And first time I read about this topic on wikipedia - the topic was packed full... now however someone ate like half of it

I decided to make my EE on ''Why didn't a communist revolution ever succeed in Germany in [insert date here (I still need to look at a great date)]?''

How's that as a topic? My teacher thinks it's great

That sounds interesting. With "why didn't" questions, theres usually a lot of answers, so it will give you more to write about and also let you hypothesize some of your own.