Help with "Circles"

JIB

What technology works the best to draw the circles?

yep, I use my TI GDC. geometry page. it's really awesome, and you can stretch the radius of a circle to see what happens if it's smaller or larger or whatever.

but if you don't like TI, I suggest using Autograph. it's the best graphing software :yes: well, after Wolfram Mathematica of course but that one is too sophisticated. try Autograph :) alternatively there is Geogebra.

Thank you :)

Is it alright to graph the circles with no grid in the background?

Do we need to label any numerical values on the drawn circles?

Can someone help me?,,, I feel like I'm writing too much... When do I know that I've wrote enough and how concise should I be with my explanations? But my teacher also said to make it like a "beautiful math essay"... So its like im stuck between two impossible paths

I was just wondering, what needs to be mentioned in the introduction?

np! well I actually would suggest having no grid XD but put a label to indicate the length of the radius or diameter etc!

I was just wondering, what should be mentioned in the introduction?

np! well I actually would suggest having no grid XD but put a label to indicate the length of the radius or diameter etc!

Just like an explanation of what you're going to do, what technology you're going to use, etc...

Just like an explanation of what you're going to do, what technology you're going to use, etc...

For the overall conclusion, what should be mentioned?

I already stated conclusions throughout the portfolio. Would it be alright to repeat information? I'm not really sure...

Edited by infinityplus

For the overall conclusion, what should be mentioned?

I already stated conclusions throughout the portfolio. Would it be alright to repeat information? I'm not really sure...

Yeah you can repeat your information, think of it as a summing-up of what you've found. Stick pretty much to the task, just discuss the "scope and limitations" of what you found, and "explain" how you found it, and you should be sweet!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I found the general formula for OP' when r = 1 and the general formula when OP = 2, but I have a hard time trying to figure out the general formula for OP'. I tried other values for r and OP, but it didn't helped me.. Could someone give me an hint or something that could help me?

I have been using geogebra and I can find what OP' is when the radius equal 4 or less but when I try to change r to 5 or greater, OP' does not change. Is this a limitation?

i was using that program but I have no idea how to create a triangle on it so that i can put in values and see what the result of the other values are. Could you explain to me how to use the Geogbra thing please?

• 2 weeks later...

I suggest using Geometer's sketchpad as the software for this IA. it's EXTREMELY simple to use and you can clearly see the relationships of the intersecting circles, which is a bit annoying since the task requires you to find OP' analytically yet you could already deduce the pattern straight away.

in the 2nd part, when you change the values of r, does OP' have to be inside OP? because i came to a point where it meets OP exactly, and from then on my computed values of r don't work any longer. but somehow it still worked when R=3 analytically when obviously it shouldn't based on the graph :\

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i've been doing the frist part of this IA quiet easily trough basic trigonometry (Sin rules, COS etc.) but i was wondering if the value of OP' has to be smaller than the radius r (=1) . I am having trouble figuring that out because the diagram they give us on the task clearly shows that OP' is smaller than r.

• 2 weeks later...

to everyone, you guys are allowed to use similar triangles.

but the first task clearly states to "Use a trigonometric approach to find OP', when OP=2, OP=3, and OP=4"

you lied. or your teacher did, as they gave you a wrong task.

Maybe there are slight differences in portfolios due to geographic regions?

Mine says "analytic". But does that mean I can still use trig if I want to?

to everyone, you guys are allowed to use similar triangles.

but the first task clearly states to "Use a trigonometric approach to find OP', when OP=2, OP=3, and OP=4"

you lied. or your teacher did, as they gave you a wrong task.

Maybe there are slight differences in portfolios due to geographic regions?

Mine says "analytic". But does that mean I can still use trig if I want to?

You can do whatever you like. My math teacher told me that you won't score high marks unless you give alternative methods. I used similarity between the triangles AND trigonometry