Is this a weird subject combination?

Guest Zephyrion

Guest Zephyrion

I'm starting my IB course next week and I am currently contemplating on changing my subjects combination. My current subjects combo:

HL: Maths, Chemistry, Physics

SL: Economics, English A1, French ab initio

Looks like a good combination for engineering, right? The irony is I have never been interested in engineering.

I'm planning to pursue a degree in Economics...or Actuarial Science...and recently, I have been thinking about Psychology. As you can see, I am very undecided right now. That is why I am trying to choose the subjects combination that can keep my doors open in the future. It is a known fact that sciences are the safest options, thus the two Science subjects in the combination above.

However, I am not interested in science and I don't intend on pursuing any courses related to science after completing my IB. Okay, I have some interests in Chemistry but not Biology and Physics. Why did I choose Physics over Biology? That's because Biology is all about memorising and I don't like that. Besides, Physics involve calculation, so that might help in Actuarial Science?

At the same time, I am not sure if I can cope with two science subjects, especially when my interest in the science field is lacking. That could be detrimental to my results. I'm unsure if it is worth the extra pressure if I am not even a thinking of a career in science.

So, I have revised my subjects combination to the following:

HL: Maths, Economics, Chemistry

SL: Physics/Bio, English A1, French ab initio

To me, that looks like a very weird subject combination because Chemistry doesn't seem to go along with Economics and Maths. I would like to replace one of the sciences to Business & Management but from what I heard all over this forum and the internet, Business & Management is not looked upon by universities in the UK. Please note that there are only TWO Group 3(social science) subjects offered in my school and they are Economics and Business & Management. I would take Psychology but it isn't offered. And no, I don't plan on taking a Group 6 subject. Also, because of my interest in Psychology, I don't mind taking Biology at SL.

This certainly seems more doable than 2 sciences + maths. But the question is, could this subject combination work? Or should I stick to my initial plan, which seems to be safer but also more difficult to handle?

Another question, do universities look at SL subjects? Usually, HL subjects are all that matter. So, is it safe to take Business & Management at SL?

IBS community, I seek your help urgently!

Nothing wrong with that combination, if it works for you. I'm taking HL Math, Physics and either English or French, and I know tons of people who are taking similar combinations of courses. Do what you enjoy and what you think you can handle.

It depends on the university, but the actual subjects you take as SL usually won't matter very much as long as you do well in them and you make sure that you've satisfied all of your university's admission requirements.

Your revised subjects seem like a good combination, you have HL math which is hard but you also have HL econ which is easier to balance it out. If you're more interested in chemistry take that at HL instead of physics. It really doesn't matter which science you take at HL if you're not pursuing a career in science (since it's not a requirement for uni), so take the one that interests you the most and that you are most likely to score high in, which seems to be chemistry.

Biology SL doesn't have much psychology in it I'm afraid. There is the option Neuroscience and Behavior (option E) which has a bit of psych in it I hear but that option is only open to HL students. In the SL bio core syllabus there isn't any psychology at all. So I advise you take physics over bio since you seem to enjoy that more.

No unis don't really look at SL subjects unless there is a prerequisite course at SL (ie if at least math SL is required and you took math SL).

Psychology is offered as an online course (for instance with Pamoja Education), and I think you should go and see if that is a possibility for you. I think your second subject combination looks way more logical! I would definitely stick to that, especially if you plan on doing something related to Economics - Then it definitely doesn't make sense to take it as a SL subject.

hey, I'm glad that you chose to take Maths, Econ and Chem at HL instead! it's a good idea to just take Physics SL if you love maths but not physics, unless you'll end up hating phy HL like me!

I, like you, didn't like physics but I thought it'd be a good idea to take sciences, so I took it at HL knowing Maths&Phy HL would get me into an engineering course. however, it's only in IB2 did I realise I don't like physics and it's too late to drop. I had to take it anyway in the end, with hatred. so if you don't think you'll like it, don't take it at HL!

I don't see why you would say it's weird. if you like chem and maths and econ, then by all means, take those at HL! because then you'll know you can score well on those subjects, which is important when you apply to uni. in fact, a friend of mine is taking the exact same subjects as you plan to, except with a different language B. and he's doing really well. the fact that he's taking chem HL helps him in nuclear physics. and he just loves econ and maths!

universities don't usually care about your SL subjects.

Guest Zephyrion

Thank you so much for the input everyone! I feel so much better about my subject combination now. =)

In response to why I find the subject combo weird, Chemistry probably has nothing to do with what I intend to pursue, so taking it at HL seems a little out of place. Pair it with Economics and Maths, it just seems odd. At least, Physics makes a little sense due to the calculations involved in its content but I would rather take Chemistry over Physics any day. I'm also unsure if taking one science at HL and one science at SL will reflect anything as SL subjects are often ignored by universities but now that I saw some of the members here with such combination, I am assured that it's perfectly fine. However, there's also the question of whether it's worth the effort to take a science subject at SL if a career in science is not in consideration.

Should I replace Physics SL with Business & Management SL since my interest in Physics is questionable. I think it should be okay because, again, SL subjects don't really matter in most cases.

Hey, I think your combination is perfect for engineering or even Actuarial Science for that matter as you have Math @ HL. I would say that Business and Management might be a tad easier than Economics from experience in B&M, however it's your choice and I think Econ SL is great as well, would probably suit Actuarial Science better than B&M :)

Guest Zephyrion

Hi! Do you mean the first combination? Yeah, I would like to challenge myself by taking both Chemistry HL and Physics HL but I am not confident on handling two sciences. Besides, I'm probably not pursuing a career in science, so I opt to take Economics at HL instead. I can still make changes, so I am unsure if the second combination 'works'.

I'm not pursuing a career in the sciences but ended up doing both Chemistry HL and Physics SL. Both were pretty interesting courses, led by fantastic teachers. If you find yourself somewhat interested, then it's not hard to motivate yourself to get a 6 or 7. I also took Economics HL (as you plan to do) and it was a fairly easy course. The syllabus is changing to make it more math-based but regardless, I think it's perhaps the easiest Group 3 subject to take at HL.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zephyrion

Hi dlfy! Not sure if you will see this but I'm going to reply anyway. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Anyway, it seems like we're taking ALMOST the same subject combo. It really comforts me to find someone else in the same situation. I'm already 2 weeks into my IB course and all I can say is, so far so good. May I ask what are you going to pursue as a career? And how did you do for your exam?

Edited by Zephyrion

I can't advise you whether this subject combination is good for Actuarial Science and Psychology, but I can help you with Economics.

These are your choices:

Economics - What you need to know, is that Economics as a subject is not required for studying Economics. It might be a plus, but its not necessary. However, it's better if you take it as HL.

Maths - HL is much better than SL for Economics, so stick to it.

French - Ab initio SL, good choice, nothing to do here.

Now for the rest of them, I'd advise you to make English A1 an HL subject. If you're quite good at English, there shouldn't be too big of a difference. Then drop one of the sciences and take B&M SL instead. As it was mentioned previously, unis don't care that much about your SL subjects and B&M would be more related to Economics studies than any of Experimental Sciences. Finally, decide which one of the sciences you'll keep. I'd personally advise you to take Biology - yes, there's a lot of memorising, but you'll probably end up with a higher mark than with Chemistry and definitely a higher mark than with Physics. However, if you really think you'll be better off with other science - give it a go. You'll be able to change your subjects.

So my offered combination for Economics would be:

HL: Maths, Economics, English A1

SL: Biology, Bussiness and Management, French ab initio

Of course, you should look at the requirements for applying to Actuarial Science and Psychology and make adjustments, just keep Eco and Maths at HL for Economics. However, if you decide that you'll apply to Economics - this is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zephyrion

I used to take your 'revised' combination at first (with Physics instead of Chemistry at HL) and then I switched to your 'old' combination! Both combinations are fine and aren't weird at all. At my school, most of my peers opted for a combination similar to your 'revised' course combinations.

It's like we are walking in opposite directions! What made you change your decision, though? The fact that 2 sciences are more advantageous in the long run?

I can't advise you whether this subject combination is good for Actuarial Science and Psychology, but I can help you with Economics.

These are your choices:

Economics - What you need to know, is that Economics as a subject is not required for studying Economics. It might be a plus, but its not necessary. However, it's better if you take it as HL.

Maths - HL is much better than SL for Economics, so stick to it.

French - Ab initio SL, good choice, nothing to do here.

Now for the rest of them, I'd advise you to make English A1 an HL subject. If you're quite good at English, there shouldn't be too big of a difference. Then drop one of the sciences and take B&M SL instead. As it was mentioned previously, unis don't care that much about your SL subjects and B&M would be more related to Economics studies than any of Experimental Sciences. Finally, decide which one of the sciences you'll keep. I'd personally advise you to take Biology - yes, there's a lot of memorising, but you'll probably end up with a higher mark than with Chemistry and definitely a higher mark than with Physics. However, if you really think you'll be better off with other science - give it a go. You'll be able to change your subjects.

So my offered combination for Economics would be:

HL: Maths, Economics, English A1

SL: Biology, Bussiness and Management, French ab initio

Of course, you should look at the requirements for applying to Actuarial Science and Psychology and make adjustments, just keep Eco and Maths at HL for Economics. However, if you decide that you'll apply to Economics - this is the way to go.

Wow! Thank you so much for your advice! :D

I realise that Economics is not really required to pursue a degree in Economics. That's why I'm contemplating about my subject combination.

I'm already one month into the programme now and I think it's already too late to make any changes. i have to ask my coordinator about this. =/

Oh come on, in IB weird combination doesn't exist ;D

Hahahaha! From all the responses I have been getting so far, that might actually be true. XD

Hi dlfy! Not sure if you will see this but I'm going to reply anyway. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Anyway, it seems like we're taking ALMOST the same subject combo. It really comforts me to find someone else in the same situation. I'm already 2 weeks into my IB course and all I can say is, so far so good. May I ask what are you going to pursue as a career? And how did you do for your exam?

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I'm planning to pursue business in university, but I'm also continuing to take English and French courses as they really do interest me. In terms of my results, I managed a 43/45. Really happy with those scores, and I think the main reasons why I did so well were because 1) I had fantastic teachers who were passionate and articulate and really knew what there were doing and 2) I had a genuine interest in what I was learning. As long as you love what you're studying, those late nights will feel less painful (but still painful!!).

Also a HUGE hint with your HL sciences: make sure you have a printed copy of both your syllabi and keep it with you at ALL TIMES. Around exam times, I would literally makes notes based on each syllabus requirement. That is exactly what you will be tested on, no more, no less. I only started studying this way in IB2 and saw my Chemistry HL marks shoot up!! Feel free to ask me any other questions you have, I'd be glad to help out.

Guest Zephyrion

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. I'm planning to pursue business in university, but I'm also continuing to take English and French courses as they really do interest me. In terms of my results, I managed a 43/45. Really happy with those scores, and I think the main reasons why I did so well were because 1) I had fantastic teachers who were passionate and articulate and really knew what there were doing and 2) I had a genuine interest in what I was learning. As long as you love what you're studying, those late nights will feel less painful (but still painful!!).

Also a HUGE hint with your HL sciences: make sure you have a printed copy of both your syllabi and keep it with you at ALL TIMES. Around exam times, I would literally makes notes based on each syllabus requirement. That is exactly what you will be tested on, no more, no less. I only started studying this way in IB2 and saw my Chemistry HL marks shoot up!! Feel free to ask me any other questions you have, I'd be glad to help out.

Wow! Excellent result you achieved there! Major congratulations to you! You're such an inspiration! :D

Thank you so much for your hint!I will surely keep that in mind! :)

Now I'm facing another dilemma. Lately, I find my interest in Physics slowly disappearing into thin air and I'm actually considering switching to Bio but I'm not sure whether HL/SL. At the same time, my interest in Bio is rather questionable as I have mentioned in the first post. Sigh. Should I just drop these two sciences to clear my head from confusion and saving myself from unnecessary stress? ><

Edited by Zephyrion

Wow! Excellent result you achieved there! Major congratulations to you! You're such an inspiration! :D

Thank you so much for your hint!I will surely keep that in mind! :)

Now I'm facing another dilemma. Lately, I find my interest in Physics slowly disappearing into thin air and I'm actually considering switching to Bio but I'm not sure whether HL/SL. At the same time, my interest in Bio is rather questionable as I have mentioned in the first post. Sigh. Should I just drop these two sciences to clear my head from confusion and saving myself from unnecessary stress? ><

Could you possibly switch Econ to HL? It would help if you were interested in it, and I know every year a high percentage of all Diploma students gets a 7 in the course (some ridiculous number like 15%). Two HL sciences can be brutal, and I rather enjoyed SL Physics.