Any advice/tips for how to write the reflective statement?

So we have been reading "If This Is A Man" by Primo Levi and have been given the task of writing a reflective statement of no more than 400 words. This is the question we have to answer:

How was your understanding of cultural and contextual considerations of the work developed through the interactive oral?

This is all we have been told and I dont know if it should be more about the actual text or the research I had to do for the interactive oral?

Guest FaridaEzzat

A reflective statement should express your development throughout the interactive oral which is essentially about the actual text. So you basically talk about how your understanding of a specific theme in Levi's poem changed/progressed through the interactive oral. Was there something you couldn't understand but through the discussion you reached new conclusions about? Did someone raise a different perspective you never had in mind about one of the stanzas?

Hope this helps. (:

• Like 1

Well, I did the reflection statement last term on Mother Courage and Her Children by Bertolt Brecht... I am guessing you guys have done your interactive oral, and basically the whole point of doing the interactive oral (IO) was that the rest of the class should take down notes on the cultural and historical significance of the short story, i.e. the people doing the IO should have been solely discussing that.

You should base your Reflection Statement on how the author incorporates cultural and historical significance of that decade and particular setting of the novel, in the novel, i.e. in Mother Courage, Brecht used the character of Eilif to signify how Hitler indoctrinated the youth of his time to join the military etc. <-- there is a historical element in the novel.

Also, you should try mentioning in the Reflection how the IO changer your perspective of the novel and how it made you look at it in a whole new light... That should get you good marks :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...