IB subjects to become a doctor?

Redbug

Hello everyone!
My school has IB and this year was the first year students graduated from the school using IB and over half of the students failed :confused:
Anyhow my point is that i'm willing to work very hard in IB, as I will enter senior school next year to year 10.
What are the subject I need to choose to become a doctor, i like to be ready and i want to become good and improve on the subjects that are important.
Are they all HL? Do I need Physics?

Thank You, any help will be appreciated! smiley_

btw: I am not very good at Maths, Physics and other stuff.. (ILL TRY MY BEST)

Edited by Redbug

I agree with the above ^

Most of the IB students in my cohort who want to become doctors usually take the following: HL bio, HL chem, HL english, and SL psychology.

Keep in mind that this is just a trend amongst students at my school.

Goodluck choosing your courses :)

• Like 2

High five, I want to be a doctor either! But personally I prefer cutting people ;P

Chemistry HL is required and as AWB already told - Biology HL would be helpful (I'm the only one who sees a paradox?). Many univs maintain Maths HL will be appreciated, however I'm not a suicide :D and apparently Maths HL is very, very hard to get 7.

That's why I'll probably pick Psychology as 3rd HL. It seems to be funny and light :)

• Like 1

In Norway they want you to have physics and chemistry istead of biology (which seems odd too me). My brother is currently studying medicine at the University of Poznan in Poland and there he needed Biology and Chemistry + physics, but physics could be replaced with a higher level of Math... :P

So yeah... Only shows that the subjects that they want you to take differ from one country to another :)

• Like 2

I think I've seen Chem HL appear everywhere. For India, you need to do Bio, Chem, Math AND Physics at HL (Suicide) to have a crack at the entrance examinations for medical schools. However, this works well with the regular Indian Education system cos you study BCMP exclusively unlike the IB where you do everything.

Getting back on track, Chem HL is needed, and either Bio or physics would be good at HL. Math is also another HL to consider, but SL would be adequate.

• Like 1

Omg lol, i'm half way through IB but i've taken Chem HL Phy. HL and Maths HL, is it still possible for me to get a degree for medicine? i want to become an Orthopaedic surgeon ?

I am not going to study medicine myself, but that is the subjects that you need in Norway and probably in MANY other countries, so no worries! :) But is there a specific country that you want to study in? :)

• Like 1

Omg lol, i'm half way through IB but i've taken Chem HL Phy. HL and Maths HL, is it still possible for me to get a degree for medicine? i want to become an Orthopaedic surgeon ?

Yes. The only necessary subject is chemistry but you'll have to look around though. Some universities prefer biology. But I know there are some that don't mind. Oxford and Newcastle are two of them I think. That's if you want to study in England.

• Like 2

I am not going to study medicine myself, but that is the subjects that you need in Norway and probably in MANY other countries, so no worries! :) But is there a specific country that you want to study in? :)

Yes. The only necessary subject is chemistry but you'll have to look around though. Some universities prefer biology. But I know there are some that don't mind. Oxford and Newcastle are two of them I think. That's if you want to study in England.

Thanks a lot man, i would prefer studying in the US or Canada, does these two place require Biology or just require Chemistry, o btw i've actually stuided 1 year of Biology when i was in grade 9

• Like 1

I think, as previously mentioned, it depends where you want to study, and perhaps more specifically, which university.

In the UK, most institutions look for HL Chem as being compulsory, but in others, either just HL Bio, or both HL Chem and HL Bio are compulsory. So for example, if you were to take the top five institutions in the UK for medicine, their entry requirements all differ slightly:

1) Oxford - 39 with 7,6,6 at HL including Chem and one other science

2) Cambridge - 40-42 with 7,7,6 or 7,7,7 at HL including Chemistry and two other sciences

3) Edinburgh - 37 with 7,6,6 at HL including Chem

4) Dundee - 37 with 6,6,6 at HL including Chem and one other science

5) UCL - 38 with 18 at HL including Bio and Chem at grade 6

but all of them demand Chem at HL.

I initially went for HL Bio, Chem and Maths, but on discovering med schools in the UK don't ask specifically for HL Maths, I switched it with SL English (am now taking Maths at SL and English for my third higher). Why kill yourself right?

In conclusion (sorry for my little essay thing there!), I'd choose only the subjects universities say you must have at HL, and then fill up the other subject choices with subjects you'll find easier to get either 6s or 7s in - after all, subjects will count, but it's upon your overall score that universities will first judge you.

Good Luck!

- mk

Edited by --- mk
  • Like 1

Hey OP,

I don't know which school you're studying at but I'm located in the UAE as well and as far as I know, IB is pretty strong in Dubai.

IB greatly depends on the maturity of the program at the school and to be honest I wouldn't risk it to go to a school with bad IB results cause it shows that the teachers don't have enough knowledge of the program.

If you're in Dubai, you can look at these schools:

• Universal American School (where I graduated from) - has an IB average of 34-35 and has a pass rate of >85%
  • Deira International School - They have both IB and AP and as far as I know they do pretty well
  • Dubai American Academy - Another really good IB/AP school
  • Dubai International Academy - Another good school which performs well in IB
  • GEMS World Academy - One of the best there is. Amazing campus and really good teachers but more expensive than others
  • Repton School - THE best you can go to and the most expensive one. The facilities of the campus are amazing and they perform extremely well in IB. They had people going to Harvard and such from their IB program.

If I were you, I'd change my school. I know it's hard and you'll be leaving your friends and stuff but if you want to aim for >37 (which you need to get in order to study medicine anywhere) you need to change your school. Because IB really depends on the teacher + hard work. The material you get in class is what makes you a good student and makes it easier for you to achieve 6-7 in your HLs.

I personally suggest Repton, GEMS, and Universal cause I know about them. Talk to your parents and maybe go visit them this summer.

PM me if you had any specific questions about IB in Dubai (:

Edited by Vincent Casey F

My brother is currently studying medicine at the University of Poznan in Poland and there he needed Biology and Chemistry + physics' date=' but physics could be replaced with a higher level of Math... :P [/quote']

No way. I'm from Poland and know that Poznan require Biology HL + Chemistry HL or Physics HL. Maths is not necesarry at all. What's going on then?

Edited by Hanadai

My brother is currently studying medicine at the University of Poznan in Poland and there he needed Biology and Chemistry + physics' date=' but physics could be replaced with a higher level of Math... :P [/quote']

No way. I'm from Poland and know that Poznan require Biology HL + Chemistry HL or Physics HL. Maths is not necesarry at all. What's going on then?

Well, I think that he applied through some kind of norwegian system in order to get into the university. That might be the reason that they wanted those subjects...