Hi...

I need some major help with my extended essay topic and fast please...

So I am doing my extended essay in economics HL and my research question is "To what extent can the market structure of the jewelry shops in Birhana road, Kanpur (India) can be classified as being monopolistic competition?"

I am not sure if it is good enough so please give me any suggestions on how maybe I can improve it... and also it would really help me if someone could tell me what all things i could consider including in my essay... please help... it's urgent...

Much Thanks in advance

Edited by Prerna Gupta
Your post had already been made into a new thread; these have now been merged.

I think (bear in mind that I'm doing my EE in English A1 and I have only completed IB1 in Economics HL) that your research question is too narrow for a 4000 word essay. I think you could write a nice 1200 word essay on that RQ, but is there really enough material on that for an Extended Essay? I think you need to widen your horizon just a little bit.. but then again, I'm not sure and definitely not the best person to give advice on this topic.

I, on the other hand, definitely disagree with the previous post. This seems as a good topic to me and it can cover 4000 words. You have to introduce the market, look at all the characteristics that would classify it as a monopolistic competition (number and size of firms, barriers to entry, etc.) and even look at the means of competition used.

• Like 3

I, on the other hand, definitely disagree with the previous post. This seems as a good topic to me and it can cover 4000 words. You have to introduce the market, look at all the characteristics that would classify it as a monopolistic competition (number and size of firms, barriers to entry, etc.) and even look at the means of competition used.

Thanks a lot... your reply did give me a brief idea on how I should carry on my research and work on my essay... I was wondering if you have any examples of extended essay relating to market structures so that i get a feel of the structure and what all to include in my essay...

Hello everyone,

I am ew in the forum so please, advise me if I am posting something in the wrong place or similars...

I am planning my EE in economics, and after a bit of thinking, I believe I will be working with microeconomics, and more precicely focusing on the coffe shops in my city, Modena, in Italy.

Now I am a bitworried about the question: first I can't decide between working with market structure or with the price ( would be the second too general? )

I would like my question to investigate how you get to the price of coffe in a shop... and that way compare different shops in different areas of Modena, and also talk about how much impact on the price of the product sold, comps from the actual price of row coffee.

Can anyone help to formulate better the question, and advise about whehther to narrow it down or not? Thanks!

P.S.

Is it a good topic? Not original?

Edited by bruges0401

Investigating 'how' you get a price in a coffee shop, depends on:-

1) Production costs of the the coffee shop

2) Price of competitors

3) Coffee's PED, YED and CED

4) Its budget

5) Its marketing strategies.. and many MANY more factors.

Hence instead of investigating how you get the price, you could probably investigate patterns in the pricing of different pricing shops and then arrive at a conclusion about the PED of coffee or something like that. You could also investigate patterns and see if they are colluding.

Thus, finally, just narrow it down. The whole idea of the EE is pure research on something very specific.

I see your point about the price of coffe in general.. and that was exactly what I was worried about.. so I should try to change that or narrow it down somehow!

I don't really like the idea of just talking about the PED of coffe.

Anyone with some other ideas for this topic?

For the colluding one, it could work but I see it would take a while and very long time to collect datas to actually say something about it, and I would like to write a first draft preatty quicly, in order to have a lot of time to work on it.

What about doing it in airlines company?

I was just thinking about other options since I am struggling with my first topic...

How much should I narrow a topic like airlines?

Should I work on a single airport and maybe see what type of market is there?

Please any advise is welcome!

What about market structure on a single destination from a single airport... like... ( I live in italy) Milan-Rome, and see what kind of competition is there, if there is any?

Edited by bruges0401

I personally feel you can write a lot about any topic. Even if it is extremely specific.

I'm assuming you're pretty well-versed with Theory of the firm, so I recommend you just read a couple of EE's on market form. It should give you a pretty good idea. You won't be as lost as now. :)

Here are 3 samples.

http://schools.sd42.ca/gsslibrary/?page_id=805

I am trying to work on the airlines ideas.. market structure I guess...

Theory of the firm? I am not sure what you mean with that but I believe I am not there yet.. trying to do one in micro :)

Anyone who has never researched on this topic ( airlines market structure... or airlines under a microeconomi point of view ) suggestions are welcome!

Edited by bruges0401

I think I did cover it then...I just didn't call it theory of the firm but chapters #

Anyway guys at the end, I am thinking I am going to write my EE ( or al least try to ) on market structure of airline tickets between airport x and y..

What are the implications of this topic? Any advice on how to work on it?

I was thinking analizing eleasticity of consumers and price discrimination could be something interesting but that would just tell me it's not perfect competition... and I don't know if that would be to muchwork and words just to say that.

Every comment or suggestion is welcome, thank you very much.

P.S. I believe the topic is narrow enough, and at the same time I will have enough to sat to cover about 4000 words... what do you guys thing? Is this ok?

Okay so you want to analyse the market form that characterizes the 'airline route' between milan and new york. Basically there are many airlines that offer this route. Al italia, delta, american airlines, etc.

The most important factor is price. Look at patterns in the prices of different airlines of this route. It can yield a lot of information.

Look at consumer demand for the airline route. Look at the individual demand curves facing the firms. Look at non-price competition.

Are firms using marketing strategies?

To sum up, the most important is price.

Edited by wireman

• 10 months later...

hey cn yu pl help me wid my ee topic.the topic i hve decided is the effect of appreciation in the dollar in some commercial area in indore...bt which commercial area should i take such that the documents are easily available to me. pls help

• 1 month later...

okay so which topic should i choose now "what is the market structure of pesticides in jakarta" or "to what extent is the demand of pesticides in jakarta elastic?"

also are those both narrow enough and do they have enough scope for a good extended essay?

my dad owns a pesticide company so i can get the prices from him.