Group work - yay or nay?

Ruan Chun Xian

I REALLY REALLY HATE group works

why??

because usually I am the one who is working

it is not that I dont wanna work, but I also have HW from other subjects

and my friend never has the willingness to WORK!!

In these cases, I make it clear that I will refuse to let them take the credit if they don't do any work.

One guy didn't listen to me and we were supposed to be doing a joint tok presentation. I had to do the entire thing, so afterwards I announced that.

He had to do his own. Mwah ha ha

First of all, i like to work alone. Sometimes the group will be good, if and only if i have a good parteners, in which they help and show some concern. Nowadays, i have much group, which i also had in MYP, in general i do not like to work for other , even if my mark will be down. I usually did much work, but other work, which give a sense of being working in group.

Sometime, you should have partner like in labs, or field work. I always like to look for the positive part, maybe we are pushed to work as group, but this will give us many skills. Those skills can help us in our future, because real work is the group work.

So i like it and hate it. But it is very good experience when you feel that all group member are working and has a concern on their work. Not always the group work is better in quality, but some times it give you a nice quantity with a good quantity.

It depends. Sometimes I like going solo with my assignments/presentations; I feel like I can express more of my personal analysis this way. Otherwise, I really don't mind. I feel I learn a lot when it's with people who work equally hard, but have different perspectives on things. It just absolutely frustrates me when it's one of four types:

1. Slacker

2. Blind listener

3. Someone who agrees to do part of the work, and ends up not doing it at all

4. Someone who just copies off all your work

If I do end up with one of those types, I end up giving them a hard time until they do their part of the work. If it's useless, I just move on.

It definitely depends. In a lot of my classes, people just don't like to think so much, or analytically making one or two people the only ones who actually put any effort into the assignment. Lately though, I've honestly enjoyed working on my own so much more than with groups lately. Unless I am good friends with people and know they'll do their share of the work, I try to do as many projects I can on my own; I'd rather put more effort and time into an assignment I feel will get a great grade than let other people do the work at a *barely acceptable* level and then suffer because of that.

I like group work with a couple of specififc friends. Because we really work hard, but in the meantime we sit in a cafe and drink coffee at the same time. We get to talk aloud about what we are studying, and hearing what the other person knows helps so much... Than, when we need a break, we just sit back and drink our coffee and have a smoke... easy as that XD

• 2 months later...

I hate group work. It's often me who ends up doing all the work, or somebody who's terrible at stuff gets enthusiastic and wants to do a lot, and totally fails. In those situations I'd rather have to do all the work for the group than have somebody screw up the project for the group.

I often don't really like relying on other people, especially if the work is graded, or counts towards a report mark or anything.

:)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I personally dislike group work unless its with a person I actually trust. Most of the time, someone doesn't pull their weights and that makes the concept of group work useless. Also what annoys me is that it often effects the group as a whole. Its almost like a communist ideal here. Everyone pulls their weight for the benefit of society :P which is how it should be done...in group work. If not...send them to the Gulag!

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike group work.

1. I find myself tending to take a dominant role in the undertaking.

2. I have an Idea that I want to focus on and I find it hard to round up the group to focus.

3. The teacher always wants to 'make groups', I get stuck with a group that doesn't share the same idea or will not speak up to voice an opinion with support.

4. I don't trust a group to get the work done right.

5. (This occurs in Biology group labs a lot) the group does not pay attention to the LAB INSTRUCTIONS. I can't watch every group member to make sure their not mucking up the lab, so far my group ruined a pig uterus, an oxidation lab (they weren't on the same page) and an enzyme lab (We were supposed to have 3-trials for each experiment we did, well the person in charge of the last experiment didn't do 3-trials, only one. This made it practically impossible to have viable results.

Basically, I like things done my way and not having to cover for other people who will not do their own share of the work.

Edited by goTiffany

Whether I like group work or not highly depends on the group that I'm in.When the responsibilities are shared equally and people know that they can't screw whole the group by doing nothing, then it's great fun. But when on the night before the deadline for the project you find out that half of your group did absolutely nothing and is partying right now, then it's really a nightmare. I've endured both of the above cases and stil am for group-working, but only when it's Working not group-procrastinating.

As long as I'm working with competent people that I can trust, group work is fine. I absolutely hate relying on incompetent people to do their work...because even if, by chance, they DO do it, it's almost never good enough for my standards so I spend twice the amount of time editing it or redoing it. I'm a bit of a control freak when it comes to group work because I want the project to reflect well on me and the group's ability to work together and I don't want our grade to be compromised because a few members won't pull their weight!

That said, I believe group work is absolutely necessary to practice in school. Working with others is a really important skill to obtain early. Convincing others to do a good job, bouncing ideas off of each other, and having the communication necessary to be successful are all beneficial qualities of group work. I believe it's equally important to learn how to handle those who WON'T do their work or won't do a respectable job on it by notifying the teacher or reasoning with them. In the end, obviously the disagreeable group members will have trouble later on, but it's good to know how to manage them.

I like it when teachers present a peer evaluation at the end of group assignments. That way, they have some idea of who pulled their weight and who didn't...and that's incentive for everyone to contribute. :)

Group work is awful.

And now our school is starting this thing where in some classes, like we split into groups and do projects that are supposed to teach the rest of the class about something. And it's completely useless, I don't want to depend on random information my classmates found on ask.com to take tests. None of the groups actually take it seriously or actually do the assignment so it leads to hours outside of class researching what I didn't learn before. Ugh. So frustrating, I like to work independently, otherwise nothing gets done, and we get graded harsher.