should i be a risk-taker and take english for EE?

theycallmemary

Hello fellow IB colleagues, I need your opinions and insights

So, I am gonna be taking the 2012 IB examination and currently in the process of creating my EXTENDED ESSAY. I know preparation should have begun a long time ago with the subject choosing and research and i DID already choose a subject and developed a research question and it has already been approved by my supervisor last year(11)(i initially decided to take business as my ee subject as i am taking business HL). Unfortunately, my supervisor left the school this year and the new supervisor think the my RQ is too broad and bordering more on economics instead of business, so of course i had to change it. However, it got me thinking about taking english instead. But then, i'm only taking english B HL where they dont really teach literature stuff much, and i have to learn them in order to write my english EE. well i can do a self-study, but i figured that would totally waste my time.

People around me say that i should write about a subject that interests me, and literature does interest me.But if i am not taking the subject that i am going to write about for my EE, and my first draft will be due in 2 months time(November) AND I DONT HAVE A SUBJECT DECIDED YET,MUCH LESS A RESEARCH QUESTIONS!!!

I am just so afraid of making a bad piece. What do you think i should do in this case?

On a side note, i have compiled a moderately substantial amount of resources that i can tap into IF i do choose to write my english ee. Business i would need to find a primary resource that would prove to be a little difficult, since probably the business that i would write about won't be able to be able to fulfill my primary resource needs

You can do an English EE in Group 2; where you can write on Literature if you wish but are not strictly limited to doing so. Furthermore, the standard of literary criticism and engagement expected in a Group 2 essay would be significantly less than that in a Group 1. Go with what you'll enjoy, as otherwise you won't be motivated enough to put in full effort.

• Like 1

I second what Tony Stark advised. Go down the English Group 2 route, that way you can be sufficiently creative and your examiners will have regard to the fact that English is not your native language and mark you accordingly. The stringent literature requirements are also not as taxing for a Group 2 EE.

The only thing I'm wondering is whether you have to do some kind of cultural analysis as well, or so I remember from my old roommate's Group 2 EE. But I could be wrong. I would look into that if I was you.

I second what Tony Stark advised. Go down the English Group 2 route, that way you can be sufficiently creative and your examiners will have regard to the fact that English is not your native language and mark you accordingly. The stringent literature requirements are also not as taxing for a Group 2 EE.

The only thing I'm wondering is whether you have to do some kind of cultural analysis as well, or so I remember from my old roommate's Group 2 EE. But I could be wrong. I would look into that if I was you.

You can do an English EE in Group 2; where you can write on Literature if you wish but are not strictly limited to doing so. Furthermore, the standard of literary criticism and engagement expected in a Group 2 essay would be significantly less than that in a Group 1. Go with what you'll enjoy, as otherwise you won't be motivated enough to put in full effort.

oh thats a relief to know. to think about it again, i guess taking english would be the best choice for me. thanks for the info guys!