Mathematics EE -Cryptography

Mandiloquence

Hi everyone!

I submitted my topic decision, and decided that I'm going to discuss cryptography and submit it as a mathematics paper.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to contact my advisor for quite a while, and recently learned that she had surgery, and will be in the hospital for a while.

While she is in the hospital, I need to narrow down my topic, and make sure it contains enough mathematics to be submitted as a mathematics paper.

So here is what I've come up with so far:

The Development and Application of Various Methods in Cryptography

Hash Functions in Cryptanalysis

The Theoretical Foundations of Cryptography

The Vigenere Cipher and Its Impact on Cryptography (including ways to break it using cryptanalysis)

Cryptanalysis: Mathematical Methods for Attacking Ciphers

Various Machines That Have Been Used To Encipher and Decipher

I would appreciate any insight or other ideas that could improve my EE!

Edited by greekamprincess

The Development and Application of Various Methods in Cryptography

Little room for analysis. Sounds very narrative.

Hash Functions in Cryptanalysis

What about it? Even something like "The role of hash functions in crytanalysis" still sounds very narrative

The Theoretical Foundations of Cryptography

Again too narrative

The Vigenere Cipher and Its Impact on Cryptography (including ways to break it using cryptanalysis)

Better

Cryptanalysis: Mathematical Methods for Attacking Ciphers

Again, narrative.

Various Machines That Have Been Used To Encipher and Decipher

What about them?

What you have to realise is that the EE is a research, analytical essay. Your topic has to have enough ground for analysis so that you're not just going to spend the whole 4000 words describing the history or role of something. in a Maths EE you're supposed to have a large amount of working maths - equations, working out stuff on your own, whatever. You can go as low as 3000 words in your maths EE if you have a sufficient mathematical portion in your essay. Compare something, analyse the significance of something's role (compared to...) in something else. Don't just describe.

Ah, apparently I was just kidding about using that. My advisor said that I should choose something else, though didn't give any suggestions as to what. <_<

And I found out that the reason she is out is because she had her gallbladder removed; she is going to be out for the rest of the year. So I probably won't see her until August. ;)

I was thinking about choosing another advisor...but she's one of two IB math teachers, and the other teacher only teaches math studies. My advisor teaches HL and SL methods, as well as all of the calculus classes the school offers...so there isn't really anyone else who is qualified...gah.

Edited by Mandiloquence

Ah, apparently I was just kidding about using that. My advisor said that I should choose something else, though didn't give any suggestions as to what. :blum:

And I found out that the reason she is out is because she had her gallbladder removed; she is going to be out for the rest of the year. So I probably won't see her until August. ;)

I was thinking about choosing another advisor...but she's one of two IB math teachers, and the other teacher only teaches math studies. My advisor teaches HL and SL methods, as well as all of the calculus classes the school offers...so there isn't really anyone else who is qualified...gah.

Well, this sounds like a pretty random idea but what about you try finding out whether you could find a math student in university to help you with it and then get the math studies teacher to help you with the formal requirements?

Well, this sounds like a pretty random idea but what about you try finding out whether you could find a math student in university to help you with it and then get the math studies teacher to help you with the formal requirements?

Actually, I did think of that. However, when I asked the math studies teacher she said she wasn't accepting the position of advisor for EEs, and I can't seem to find a math student in university that has enough free time to help me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iber2468

Okay, first of all, I don't recommend a Math Extended Essay.

There was only one person doing it in my school and the guy came up with a NEW THEOREM to prove orthogonal triangles in a circle or something. He did his science fair on that too (won gold) so he already had the material.

The problem was, even with his mathematical genius, he couldn't fluff it up enough to get it to acceptable word counts. I'm not sure what he did at the end by a few days before the deadline he wrote down everything he needed to say and it was around 2000 words.

So math EEs, they either become too narrative/non-mathematical or TOO mathematical so that there aren't enough words.

I've heard of successful ones with 1500 words, but the ones (grand total of 2) done at my school were about 3800 words, the both got A and the other one got 36/36,

Gah. Well, I really don't think I'll have a problem with word count, because I LOVE cryptanalysis and cryptography in general, and there is plenty of research that I could do to help. My only problem is finding an advisor that knows at least a tiny bit about cryptography and can make sure I'm going in the right direction with my paper, and not completely wasting my time. Our school has had quite a few people that wrote their entire EEs (like someone wrote about Spanish architecture in English because their advisor said it was ok, and had to re-write it in Spanish, in a week) and have had to re-do them, and I'd love to avoid that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have some new topics that I'd like opinions on...

A comparison of symmetric and asymmetric cryptography

A comparison of the Beaufort cipher and Bach's algorithm

The strengths and weaknesses of different methods of analyzing asymmetric cryptography

The strengths and weaknesses of Shor's algorithm and Grover's algorithm in quantum cryptography

The use of matrices in the Vignere cipher and methods of breaking this cipher (I'm not sure if I should do this, since I'm not comparing things...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok, I have some new topics that I'd like opinions on...

A comparison of symmetric and asymmetric cryptography

A comparison of the Beaufort cipher and Bach's algorithm

The strengths and weaknesses of different methods of analyzing asymmetric cryptography

The strengths and weaknesses of Shor's algorithm and Grover's algorithm in quantum cryptography

The use of matrices in the Vignere cipher and methods of breaking this cipher (I'm not sure if I should do this, since I'm not comparing things...)

Just a little pointer, my instructor told our class to avoid comparatives in EE. Though it is perfectly fine, having a comparative means that you'll be doing 2000 words for one topic, and 2000 words for another. Now, wouldn't you rather spend a good 4000 word analysis on one single topic - ensuring you cover everything?

Just my two cents. Well his really. :)

Well, the ones that start "The strengths and weaknesses.." are very narrative as topics. Means you'd just have a list of the strengths and weaknesses. What about "To what extent is A more effective than B as a method of analyzing asymmetric cryptography"?