Photography and Computer Art

Mike

I heard that the IBO frowns upon doing just photography. Is this true? Also, what about computer art? I really like art and want to take Art HL but im crap at painitng and drawing but I have an eye for photography.

What do you mean by "just photography"? Do you mean simply taking photography for a certificate, or taking photography without another art class?

At my school, atleast 1 semester of Pre-IB Art is required before taking photography, but I haven't heard of taking only photography being frowned upon. Approximately 70 seniors graduating this year did that! :P

If you want to take Art HL, my friend is taking it and doing ceramics projects, mosaics, and other types of art, because she is also not that great at drawing and painting. :D

If you have the room in your schedule and you want to take both, go for it! But if you have to choose, I don't think taking photography only is frowned upon (and I don't think there is even an exam for it!).

However, be warned, both of those classes are a LOT of work (at least at my school). My friend just had to turn in both of her photography and both of her HL Art portfolios (not even including art work and photos!) and it was WAY over 200 pages PER BOOK. It was like 800 pages total of art and photo and now she's selecting the art pieces and photo pieces for her presentations. :yes:

There's no photography as a subject, Mandi. What he means is that do photography and computer art solely as his studio work. I think you can certainly focus on photography and computer art as your theme, Mike, but I'm not sure you can get away with at least one or two other works of other medium as well. I mean, you wouldn't just be taking photos, you'd have to do something with the photos as well, I reckon. Ask Elsa.

There's no photography as a subject, Mandi. What he means is that do photography and computer art solely as his studio work. I think you can certainly focus on photography and computer art as your theme, Mike, but I'm not sure you can get away with at least one or two other works of other medium as well. I mean, you wouldn't just be taking photos, you'd have to do something with the photos as well, I reckon. Ask Elsa.

Um...are you sure that there isn't photography as a subject? Because there are a lot of people taking HL Photo at my school, and I'm sure they wouldn't offer the class otherwise?

What I meant is what Hien said. And I would be doing stuff with the pictures not just taking 12 pics and submiting them.

Ah, ok. I thought you were referring to the actual subject of photography. And don't you have to do things with the photos anyway? At least at my school you aren't allowed to simply take 12 photos and submit them...I don't imagine that you would score very well if you did that. :)

hi , well there is no photography as a part of the arts as a subject itself , but if you are planning to study photography your portfolio must include some final pieces that have to do with it, also a lot of research in photographers and artists that deal with this subject , be it Hockney, is a must. After all i must say that you must show that you have done some experimentation with all media. And i repeat research and analysis of your work is really important,in order to get good grade.

pokito is right mike. you need to really work with the photograpy in different ways. even if they look like crap, but them in you book coz it shows the experimentation. i actually put i a piece in my show that i thought asn't the bast coz it really showed the process that i went through to get there.

Guest Charliebarlow
Yeah, I understand what everyone is saying. Thank you for everyones advice.

I just finished my HL Visual Arts exam, well... two weeks ago.

I used photography quite a lot, but only one of my twelve pieces was just a regular photograph (50x60cm) which I did in the darkroom.

Other pieces used photography, for example photographic ceramic transfers, 3D photographic sculptures, etc etc.

Some of my friends used ALOT of photography in their IB; and, I think it's fine so long as it shows excellent technical skills and development and isn't simply a collection of lucky shots. For example, I laid out about 5m squared of experimentation and development etc for the one photo I ended up using.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

You might also want to make sure your instructor knows photography well enough to help you along. Because the teacher at my school wasn't familiar with photography and he discouraged us from doing it, which is a shame.

If you're worried about submitting just photos, perhaps you could try mixing photos with another medium, like what Andy Warhol and Arnulf Rainer did. That would spice things up a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I am just close-minded, but Computer Art is not Visual Arts. Visual Arts is painting, drawing, ...traditional art, right? If it goes further than that, I apologize, but in my 10 years of doing Art, I have never heard of graphic designs as "visual art"

My school just opened a new class this year "IB Photography" which I find to be ****. The people are talented, sure, but seriously? A couple of my friends and I in IB art agrees with me on this. But that's just our opinion. We don't feel like its fair. Photography and traditional art. We do so much more work in our class, painting, drawing and it takes us forever. But those kids in IB photo gets the easy life. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's just my input. I frown on it, and certain IB graders frown upon it, but who knows....things change.

Edited by Mrs.Pattinson

I don't think there is anything wrong with including photography; however, my art teacher did say that in his experience the students who got sevens were all good at drawing. Don't let that discouraged you though, if your bad at drawing now there is nothing to say you can't improve XD thats what the IB look for development and improvement.