List of IB Textbooks: All Subjects!

Guest syrianstar

Guest quisquis
so always keep in mind that if you don't understand something it might be the book's fault and not yours ;)

Indeed, unfortunately also at times in the solutions. So, after you recalculated the exercise 10 times, make sure to check with your maths teacher before starting to lose faith in yourself. I wish I had sometimes asked after the 2nd time, would have spared me some time...

• 1 month later...

Math - The Australian press one

History - A myriad of photo-copied documents

English - Novels, duh

French - En Direct series(1, 2 and 3) and supplementary reading materials

Chemistry - IBID Chemistry(YUCK) and first-year University text(was pretty good, forgot publisher and author), IB Chemistry Course Companion

Physics - IBID Physics(ICK), IB Physics Course Companion, Physics by Giancoli(very good)

Biology - IBID Biology, IB Bio Course Companion, Inquiry Into Life

• 1 month later...

I spent a fortune on IB textbooks, and i didnt use them at all. they're all brandnew wrapped with protective cover and nothing's been written or highlighted in them. they are absolutely useless. the only textbook i heard was good, was econs, but i dont take econs, so i don't know. the maths haese&harris is really useless. the questions in there are nothing compard to what you'll get in your IB exam.

i think you should use Alvl texts instead. although they are much more indept, they explain stuff much more clearly and actually have good examples which you can study from. American AP textbooks are not bad too. basically, if you're doing the IB, dont rely on textbooks written for the IB, cos you'll find that the content falls short of the difficulty that you'll encounter in the exam qns

I spent a fortune on IB textbooks, and i didnt use them at all. they're all brandnew wrapped with protective cover and nothing's been written or highlighted in them. they are absolutely useless. the only textbook i heard was good, was econs, but i dont take econs, so i don't know. the maths haese&harris is really useless. the questions in there are nothing compard to what you'll get in your IB exam.

i think you should use Alvl texts instead. although they are much more indept, they explain stuff much more clearly and actually have good examples which you can study from. American AP textbooks are not bad too. basically, if you're doing the IB, dont rely on textbooks written for the IB, cos you'll find that the content falls short of the difficulty that you'll encounter in the exam qns

I disagree, the IBID chem book was perfect for the core material, it's just the option that it didn't cover everything of! the math books are pretty bad I agree, but my teacher never needed it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

i found the Clegg- Biology - is a really useful book

and economics through diagrams A/AS level is great

and contested spaces, conflict in europe is good too

Course companions!!! They are all useful , Biology, TOK, english and especially economics. I think the economics one is the best. Although it states clearly on the front that the course companion is not meant for one stop resource.

our teacher bought the course booklet aswell as another Ib textbook by Matt Mcgee- economcis in terms of the good the bad and the economist- and it's so confusing, especially when the course companion stays supply and demand when Mcgee changes to marginal social benefit and marginal social cost. (BUT he is REAlly good and funny!)

Course companions!!! They are all useful , Biology, TOK, english and especially economics. I think the economics one is the best. Although it states clearly on the front that the course companion is not meant for one stop resource.

Really? I personally found the Course Companions useless (for Bio, btw). Read through it, deemed that it blabbered too much and wasn't as concise as my notes, and never looked at it again. It's still all new and shiny. :P

Edited by moneyfaery

TOK textbook is excellent, saves my life when I have no idea what our teacher wants us to talk about. "Theory of Knowledge", by Nicholas Alchin. It's written specifically for the IB, and so is quite easy to understand. Covers all areas of knowledge as well as ways of knowing. It has lots of quotes and articles on TOK-related subjects.

For History, our teacher gave us handouts for Russia but photocopied and bound lots of different books and sources into textbooks on Fascist Italy for everyone this year. She spent all summer doing them, poor thing.

Economics=Robert Glanville and his "Economics from a Global Perspective". Too bulky and no one in class has ever read it except for 2 pages on development economics. Although a guy from my school read it all through the week before his exams and got a 6 or 7...so could help. Just stick to the Oxford Revision Guide, it's shorter.

Bio=IB Course Companion, I like it quite a lot. Diagrams are good and material is divided clearly into SL and HL, with options at the back.

French SL=Tricolore 4, which is RUBBISH. I took a French course this summer in France and we bought 2 books, "Alterego 2" or "Tout, Ca Va 3". They are certified by European Standards and since it's up to your individual teacher to decide the syllabus, you might as well just learn all the harder stuff like environment vocab, etc. since it always comes up on exams.

English=the books we read in class as texts. You can't learn how to write commentaries from reading books, you need to actually practice.

Maths=Ibid Press, which has tons of typos and answers that are wrong in the back of the book.

Chinese B - Chinese Made Easy Textbook 5 :P :P. that was good. helpful. but for me its a bit easy since i learnt chinese since preprimary.

English A1 - The English Course Companion im using :D , and im doing all those eng lit books.

Chemistry - Course Companion and IBID

Maths - OXFORD Mathematics standard level for the IB Diploma, goooood book. :D recommend this :D , the one with the SHELL ON IT :D

Business & Management - IBID, RECOMMENDED :D . VERY DETAILED AND THICK TOO. AND VERY USEFUL.

[iTGS- CURRENTLY NEED A BOOK FOR THAT, i was planning to get COMPUTER CONFLUENCE. anybody have suggestions. I JUST WISHED SOMEONE WROTE A BOOK ABOUT ITGS. :( ]

• 1 month later...

Biology : Heinmann Bacalaureate - A must have in my opinion :)

Course Companion - :D

Study guide

Chemistry: Heinmann Bacalaureate

IBID

Course Companion

Study guide

Economics: IBID - Awsome! not your usual dry textbook, the author (Matt McGee) is hilarious :rolleyes:

Course Companion - The best of the course companions IMO

Math: Math for the international student (Hease and Harris) - though there are pple who bash this book

English and Arabic: The novels

TOK: Theory of Knowledge by Richard van de Lagemaat

Physics - Physics for the IB diploma by Tolkien

Physics for the IB diploma by K.A.TSOKOS, it's not LOTR physics... =P

And yeah, that's a great book, has enough info for everything, but it does do a bad job of covering Nuclear Physics, so I reccomend... anything else... for that.

Math: Calculus, Early Transcendentals, 6th edition, by James Stewart.

Good book, great examples, and awesome practice questions, and early transcendentals is IMO the best way of doing calculus. Also includes a very IBesque problems plus section that gives some really tough problems that are thankfully more than IB would ever give you.

• 1 month later...

I just need to get something off my chest, The IBID physics book is the worst book ever written! It's not wort the paper it's written on! By God I hope the author of the book will burn in hell after having suffered a painfull death! Seriously, the book seems like it's written by some drunk homeless man, needing money for some more drugs..... and the Chemistry IBID book, may Jesus have a whip to smite this author, it is one god damn failur the hole book.... I can frankly not understand why they published it, we are supposed to become the superior race in the world, give us some better books! I demand it, this must stop, the only thing i can blaim my 7 in physics on is the past papers..... That is not how it is supposed to be!

Can i hear a YEAAAH! from people who agree with me!

Cheers

Alfabeta

Edited by Alfabeta