Math HL Revision

08adytiah

hey ppl im currently taking Math HL and after 2 years of learning math HL it's kinda hard to revise for math, because it's different with other subjects wer u can read and understand d topic. so does any1 know a good way to revise for Math HL cuz im gettin nervous (math exam is on wednesday n thursday on d 1st week of may) so thx ppl

OK I can't help much because I'm still in my first year of math higher but i recently had an end of 2 terms exam where some of the oldest stuff i had sort of forgotten so here's what i did:

1. just look over your notes for a specific...even if they dont make perfect sense in the beginning, its good just to refresh your memory

2. look at as many "solved to show you how" problems in both your textbook and other resources

3. look over your notes again for that topic, this time making sure that you understand how each equation is derived and how/when to use them

4. do some of those easy problems they have at the end of an explanation in the textbooks

5. move on to more challenging problems, always look back at examples to see how they do it

6. finish by doing past papers i guess? this is the part i dunno about

hope this helps!! especially coming from someone who hasn't finished the first year of HL

OK I can't help much because I'm still in my first year of math higher but i recently had an end of 2 terms exam where some of the oldest stuff i had sort of forgotten so here's what i did:

1. just look over your notes for a specific...even if they dont make perfect sense in the beginning, its good just to refresh your memory

2. look at as many "solved to show you how" problems in both your textbook and other resources

3. look over your notes again for that topic, this time making sure that you understand how each equation is derived and how/when to use them

4. do some of those easy problems they have at the end of an explanation in the textbooks

5. move on to more challenging problems, always look back at examples to see how they do it

6. finish by doing past papers i guess? this is the part i dunno about

hope this helps!! especially coming from someone who hasn't finished the first year of HL

hey, thanks for the tips.

Well, I kind of tried that a couple of times and it kind of worked. But I'm just a bit afraid that the final exam is going to be a lot harder than the questions from the textbook. So yeah, I'm kind of freakin out right now

The way I practice is by going to that chapter in the book and doing some of the homework exercises. Usually I'll remember how to do them by just doing them and some trial and error. That way it's harder to forget when you've sorta 'discovered' how to do it again. Notes don't help me, but I have friends that swear by them, so use them if they help.

Maybe trying to learn the concepts more than just formulas helps too. For example, if you know how they got the formula you might be able to derive it in a situation that you need it (assuming that you would have forgotten it at this point either way).

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, you can't get enough problems to revise fully.

What I'd reccomend is that you take those really hairy problems, that teachers usually give when the topic is finished and do them again, because they tend to cover all areas of the topic plus logic, which you can't train enough.

Good luck!

Guest Lily Bean

If you have a textbook it might be easier to get problems to practice with. I think H&H is good though people say it's too easy. That may be but still it gets you practice with IB exam style questions. If you can get past papers then that's great as well. You could do 1 past paper and then wait for a few months to do it again and see if you've improved.

• 2 weeks later...

there is a great H&H revision booklet

its called 'exam preparation and practice guide'

and it has a picture of the H&H HL maths book on it....i don't know if it's too late now

but for everyone else you can order it online and it is really helpful, with the advanced IB exam style (therefore very confusing) questions

good luck :angry:

the best way is to ask your seniors or those who have graduated the course, the past exam papers. Or probably you could find and download some in the internet. I think its illegal though =]

well the only thing that makes you remember how to solve the problems are just practice. Reading over the examples is kind of useless and is less productive than if you do problems straight away. If you get stuck then ask your teacher or a tutor and you'll get it =]

well im still in my junior year of IB so i don't know if what im saying is rite.

good luck =]

nvm if you took the may exams.. lol udh slese ya?