united world college

Bhagyashree

I am in UWC at Red Cross Nordic in Flekke, Norway. I have two co-years in Mahindra and they are doing great after what I have heard. For me, as a student of UWC, I have to say that I have found it harder to study in a school like UWC. This is because there are so many social happenings and things outside of academics that would attract your attention. In that sense a UWC-school makes it, to some extent, harder to focus on academics. UWC is A LOT more than just academics and if you are then just interested in academics you most likely don't fit that well into UWC. That doesn't disqualify you of course, though!

For me I think that the time I spend studying changed a lot from the first year to the second year (which I am in now). The first year I was mostly interested in the social life and stuff to do at the school, and I kind of flunked some of my subjects, getting between 3 and 5 at the mock exams before the summer. It is a lot about prioritising what you believe is important in order to be successful in both academics and your social life.

Please drop me a personal message anytime if you are interested in discussing UWC or want any info! :)

EDIT: I can also get you contact information for my co-years in Mahindra so you can talk directly to them if you like!

Edited by Viking-pelican
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in UWC at Red Cross Nordic in Flekke, Norway. I have two co-years in Mahindra and they are doing great after what I have heard. For me, as a student of UWC, I have to say that I have found it harder to study in a school like UWC. This is because there are so many social happenings and things outside of academics that would attract your attention. In that sense a UWC-school makes it, to some extent, harder to focus on academics. UWC is A LOT more than just academics and if you are then just interested in academics you most likely don't fit that well into UWC. That doesn't disqualify you of course, though!

For me I think that the time I spend studying changed a lot from the first year to the second year (which I am in now). The first year I was mostly interested in the social life and stuff to do at the school, and I kind of flunked some of my subjects, getting between 3 and 5 at the mock exams before the summer. It is a lot about prioritising what you believe is important in order to be successful in both academics and your social life.

Please drop me a personal message anytime if you are interested in discussing UWC or want any info! :)

EDIT: I can also get you contact information for my co-years in Mahindra so you can talk directly to them if you like!

Thank You for giving me the liberty to ask about UWC.

Sorry I could not get back soon due to low internet connectivity.

Sorry for the long post that I am about to write.

Since I took ibdp before but I found my school very different from what ib means by experiential learning. The school community had no impact on promoting your natural urge to learn. But since I devoted myself to find what it exactly takes to enroll in a diploma programme I stumbled upon UWC.

Well I heard that UWC students are more experienced before they come to UWC and definitely after enrolling; as ib does this.' So does their previous academic experience (non-ib) help them in any way to perform well in ibdp (academics)?'

Before ib I was studying in a coventional academic system until one day I realized I do not know what I am aware about and what I am not (knowledge). It was not independent and self directed learning/thinking that I was looking for. So ultimately there was no answer to why I did not have thoes "aha" moments which education gives you.

'Right now my aim is to visualize what does it mean to become a UWC student!' In order to have some clarity here is some questions I could think of:

- What is the significance of studying at UWC for ib in terms of academics and collaboration?

- What do they look for in students applying to UWC?

- Do they prioratize high academic performance in application process? (I do not have high academic performance.)

- What is the purpose of interview they take?

- Did you prepare before joining UWC?

- will you share your academic experience?

My personal goal:

- self-development; physical,emotional,intellectual growth

- become a lifelong learner

- reach a state where life is full of opprtunities and where I have every ability to make them my accomplishments.

I struggled almost 6 months to know exactly where I should target my efforts in ib subjects. It reduced my working speed. I think it is the key to good time management.

These are some general queries.

It is really difficult getting into UWC. you need almost a perfect score, so obviously, its pretty clear that studying there would require quite a lot of work, and honestly, would be quite hectic. UWC is all about all round development, so if just academic achievement is your goal, you probably wouldn't do too well at UWC. an example of this is the fact that UWC Pune is hosting the MUN on 12th-14th of October, which I am attending. so its a Lot more than just academics. its about a balance between academics and extra curricular activities.

however, the level of academics and the quality of it is very high here too! I'm not saying you have to be spectacular, but UWC is not the place for you if you aren't ready for quite a hectic study time, and hard work. Obviously, like most schools, it might be fun too and you might have free time and fun times, but the quality of education is high in comparison to most other schools. So, you have got to be ready for it.

• Like 1

Would you like to tell me how did you manage academics and extra curricular activities? Did you prepare to take ibdp or to admit to UWC? if yes then how? Have you studying ib since long i mean IB PYP and IB MYP? if not, then how did your past education help you in ib? well i mean good academic writing,reasoning,language skills?

It is really difficult getting into UWC. you need almost a perfect score, so obviously, its pretty clear that studying there would require quite a lot of work, and honestly, would be quite hectic. UWC is all about all round development, so if just academic achievement is your goal, you probably wouldn't do too well at UWC. an example of this is the fact that UWC Pune is hosting the MUN on 12th-14th of October, which I am attending. so its a Lot more than just academics. its about a balance between academics and extra curricular activities.

Well, I have to say that it varies from national committee to national committee. UWC is built up of many individual national committees in different countries and they might have very different standards when it comes to accepting people with academic excellence. For example, I am from Norway and the national committee here doesn't expect us to have top grades in order to get into UWC. The grade average they tell people that they should have is 4.5 or higher out of 6 possible. It is pretty decent and shows that the national committees might be valuing different things. The Norwegian committee very much values what you are doing outside of academics, which is a huge and essential part of the whole 'UWC-experience'!

Wow, seems like I got a lot of questions to answer from you Bhagyashree! Haha, that's great and I am loving that you are truly interested in UWC! I gotta come back to you in a bit, I have A LOT of work to do at the moment. Please drop me a PM if you like!

Well I myself did not get into UWC. however, a really close friend of mine did, and we applied together, so I know how it works.

Both of us did the IGCSE and got ICE certificates, with a distinction in the IGCSE.

I got 5 A*s whereas he got 6 A*s. I would have gotten in if I had concentrated on extracurricular activities as well as academics, but I have to say, I had not planned my 2 years of 9th and 10th grade very well, so other than academics, i did not have much to pride myself on. My friend, however, was in the school rugby, football, and tennis teams, participated in numerous MUNs all over India, and also took up many competitive exams at a national level. However, it is his sports (national champ at rugby, state level champ at tennis, and state level champ at football, and district level cricket champ) that might have given him at upper hand, if not for his amazing academic scores.

He got in quite easily, i must say. But i must also tell you that he is a sort of overachiever. along with these, he has done sailing courses, community service like habitat for humanity, and other courses that look very good on his application. I'm not saying you have to be this great, all I am trying to say is you need to have quite a show, if you need an easy acceptance. I really wanted to get in, but i couldn't. This may apply only if you are trying for UWC Pune, because i don't know very much about any others, I'm sorry for that. He did not find it very hard to balance out his academics and extra-curriculars, but yes, i do admit, he had a few sleepless nights. You do need good reasoning, and your language skills have got to be perfect. but then again, it depends what you want to take up, and your future career choice, which you have to be quite clear on, cause UWC Pune will judge you in regard to what your plans for future are too. Even if you do slack up on your writing, you can cope with your presentation skills, and the main problem here, is convincing them you belong there. They don't want to hear that you can cope with UWC Pune's needs, what they do want to know is that you will, and already have the ability to do it, if not that you're already good enough. they don't want to know that you will try, they want to know that you are already doing it. i admit, it is quite harsh, but it is the truth. In the personal interview though, it might be different.

you can PM me if you want to know anything, and i will ask my friend for you, or i will get him to talk to you through my account.

I really hope this helps.

Always here if you need anything :)

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2012 at 1:57 PM, dniviE said:

I applied to UWC. Need guidance. Please contact me at [email protected]