Self-study Chemistry HL

Kelly An

Hi, I'm in a hard situation and I need advice. :(

I took Chemistry HL before I found out that my IB chemistry teacher couldn't speak English at all. She speaks Estonian, which I don't understand. All my subject choices have been confirmed and I can't change anything anymore. Should I self study Chemistry instead of wasting my time sitting in class and not understanding anything? I don't know if it's a good idea as it seems quite risky.

Edited by Kelly An

Hi, I'm in a hard situation and I need advice. :(

I took Chemistry HL before I found out that my IB chemistry teacher couldn't speak English at all. She speaks Estonian, which I don't understand. All my subject choices have been confirmed and I can't change anything anymore. Should I self study Chemistry instead of wasting my time sitting in class and not understanding anything? I don't know if it's a good idea as it seems quite risky.

I've self-studied Chemistry SL (No prof at all). Idk what to say in the case of Chemistry HL, though. And what are you going to do about the IA?

• Like 1

Learning Chemistry HL all by yourself will be a tough challenge, doing IAs is not easy.

But it is true that if the teaching is in another language it will be wasting your time and thus you have no other choice than to do self-study.

Why not try persuade your IB coordinator to shift to another subject taught in English?

If it's not possible then try considering online courses.

Here is a link that I could share as a suggestion:

http://www.pamojaeducation.com/

Hope it helps!

Good luck.

:)

• Like 1

If you can't change teachers or subjects, then learning the entire course and completing IA's yourself will be a challenge.. There are some things that you can learn with minimal teacher guidance (I've learnt both options myself since it's almost all reading and memory work), but there's a lot of concepts in HL that you'll probably need a teacher for (Acids & bases, and organic...). As stated above, an online course might be the best way to go.

As with Chemistry IA, it'll be easier with a teacher etc. but by following the criteria and using checklists (try to find them online), it's still possible to do well.

http://chemblog.liakatas.org/ has some concise notes and IA tips, although it's definitely best to do an online course, considering it's HL.

• Like 3

Thank you. Unfortunately I can't change the teachers or subjects. :( Well I think I'll probably ask for help from the teacher somehow with the IA even though she doesn't speak English.. And I bought quite a lot of IB Chemistry books and revision guide, hope they'll help. Maybe I'll try to manage for the time being and see if things work out. If not then I'll do an online course as you suggested. :)

Thank you. Unfortunately I can't change the teachers or subjects. :( Well I think I'll probably ask for help from the teacher somehow with the IA even though she doesn't speak English.. And I bought quite a lot of IB Chemistry books and revision guide, hope they'll help. Maybe I'll try to manage for the time being and see if things work out. If not then I'll do an online course as you suggested. :)

You can study the Core from the Pearson Bacc book.

The options just from the Neuss guide (Pearson has horrible options. If you are math-inclined, go for option A and G. They're pretty easy if you're good in Organic Chem)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Chem HL is pretty self study-able. There are tons of online resources like KhanAcademy and various teachers blogs/YouTube channels. you can also do a course in gen chem over the summer at any college in the USA. This covers most of the core and AHL in chem HL.

And the Pearson Book is worth having, don't bother with the damji/green book. That sucks.

Note that you need to sign up for the online course (at least for Pamoja) ahead of time and you need to complete two full years of the course. I would try and apply now rather than later because then it's definitely going to be too late (i'm assuming you are in IB1?)