Language B Orals

Guest Lily Bean

We would have oral presentation on random topics every month or so, that would count towards our oral marks, and then random conversations in class as well. Our teacher would pick the best marks to go towards our final oral grade though

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, in Mandarin B we have the weirdest orals ever! Like, the teacher sets a topic e.g. "Young people should not smoke" and then the next lesson, we sit in a circle and just have a converstation, with everyone contributing about 5 mins of talking each.

Good to know Chinese isn't the only language where the orals are funny...

In Spanish our teacher assigns 4 oral dates per year (non-negotiable, and with [i]horrible[/i] make-ups if you happen to be in the hospital), plus the individual oral, with random mini-orals in class that aren't graded for IB, but are class grades. In the assigned orals we sit in a group of 4 randomly chosen people (including ourselves) and speak about topics which she has chosen and we have studied in class, in the order she has presented to us on an outline. We're tape-recorded (obviously :mellow: ) and we speak for about 30 minutes, which can be agonizing if no one has anything to say. Those are especially terrible because our teacher gets [i]really [/i]angry when the tape-recorder is rolling and no one is talking. =O

Edited by Mandiloquence

we did one oral for every unit, so ther were five plus one IB practice that she didn't tell us was practice, she toldd us it was the real thing, so we all were super stressed, but we were allowed to redo it. all of theose were taped, and then in class we talked as a group in spanish for a lot of the hour. there was nothing exceptionally wierd, and she didn't get mad if we made a mistake, she was annoyed if we spoke in english though.

[quote name='QueenSara' post='15435' date='Apr 23 2008, 06:06 PM']How does your teacher organise Language B Orals (not the individual orals, but the other ones you're supposed to do)? In my case, it seems like I will not really need to do any real kind of presentation, she will instead mark me randomly when I speak about topics in class.[/quote]

That is exactly how our Danish B teacher graded us. She said after certain lessons if a student performed really well then she used that lesson as the oral. She only picks the best performances for each student over the two years.