World Lit 1 help, please

ibman

Hey guys,

I am soon going to get in the process of writing my first world Lit paper. I am in English HL A......the books we have read so far are Stanger, Medea and Hero of our Time

Can someone please just suggest me topics about comparing these books
I just cant get started on it because I can't think of a topic.....
Please...I have heard a lot about this website and its intelligent people....so please suggest me topics so I can get started asap...

Thanks a lot..

Guest Lily Bean

what you could do is make a list or table thing of similar/contrasting themes from the books. just sit down with your notes or whatever and jot down things that are the same or similar, even if they are really small things. like see whether any of the characters are similar, or situation etc. it's easier to come up wth a topic when you see yourself where things are similar or contrasting in the books, so when you get to writing it'll be easier to write too

Guest syrianstar

I remember doing my World Lit paper not so long ago......so I know how you feel! Although we didn't study the same works I still think you might find some of these ideas useful.

Here goes:
1. What role do the dead play in determining the actions of the living?
2. The absence of a parent(s)
3. Use and abuse of power
4. A murder scene / death / dying moments
5. Misguided / misdirected love
6. Marraige / relationships / husbands / wives
7. Influence of childhood upon the adult
8. Use of symbols e.g. key, tree, birds etc.
9. Use of stage directions
10. Clothing / colours
11. Entrances and exits
12. Moments of realisation and how they contribute to the conclusion
13. Portrayal of female figures.

Remeber that you have to think of your own World Lit question - these are only points to get you started. Good Luck! <_<

Guest Lily Bean

DO NOT DO PORTRAYAL OF WOMEN!!!
Sorry, no offense but that is one very cliched, overdone theme. No matter what book you do, examiners really get bored with portrayal of women. Unless it's a very significant, very important very specific female character that you're talking about, don't do just women in general.

Guest syrianstar

[quote name='Lily Bean' post='15543' date='Apr 25 2008, 01:33 PM']DO NOT DO PORTRAYAL OF WOMEN!!![/quote]

Actually I quite agree ;) it is a very popular theme but I put it down just in case ideas ran out and things got deperate. I don't even know if it applies to the texts in question since I haven't read them - I just put these ideas as a starting point for those stuck on World Lit.

Although I think you can still use the general theme but twist it to make a unique topic that examiners are unlikely to have heard of i.e. analyse it in a completely different point of view. <_<

Just go with what you feel is right XD

[quote name='syrianstar' post='15538' date='Apr 25 2008, 01:26 PM']I remember doing my World Lit paper not so long ago......so I know how you feel! Although we didn't study the same works I still think you might find some of these ideas useful.

Here goes:
1. What role do the dead play in determining the actions of the living?
2. The absence of a parent(s)
3. Use and abuse of power
4. A murder scene / death / dying moments
5. Misguided / misdirected love
6. Marraige / relationships / husbands / wives
7. Influence of childhood upon the adult
8. Use of symbols e.g. key, tree, birds etc.
9. Use of stage directions
10. Clothing / colours
11. Entrances and exits
12. Moments of realisation and how they contribute to the conclusion
13. Portrayal of female figures.

Remeber that you have to think of your own World Lit question - these are only points to get you started. Good Luck! <_< [/quote]

Thanks a lot man.....i really appreciate your help.....I like # 1 the best and can actually think of something
Before joining this forum...I was thinking about portrayal of women but thanks for the warning