IB Math Studies?

Emkay

I'm actually very good at math but I took Ib Math Studies, and I'm reading around and people here are like don't take studies ...etc. I'm sort of in a panic mode because I want to do something medical related in the future. Compared to the other students going into IB Mathematics.. they have Algebra II under their belt while I don't. I know IB Math Studies in my school goes up to pre-cal... I want to apply to universities/colleges all over the place.. not for certain where yet. I want t apply to a English uni, most definitely. Is this going to be a problem? Can I take another separate exam for math to make it look good to colleges? -__-. I'm about to go grovel to the coordinator about changing maths... but I don't know if I can handle it since I never took Algebra II because of my school's 5 year math program. I'm not here in the summer to take any IB prepping classes over the summer either.

Guest Lily Bean

For med I think the more important subjects would be Bio and Chem HL. Its better that you do a subject you can do and get a high grade in it rather than changing in the middle and find you can't keep up and get a low grade. For English unis it's not all about grades, if you can demonstrate you're motivated enough for med then I think you will be fine.

Guest Lily Bean

Oh in that case, take HL then. Its recommended that you take HL if you're not sure about career paths/requirements since it opens up a lot of choices. Take Bio HL as well though, if you can

I think I'll talk to my IB coordinator about it tomorrow. I don't like biogloy period. I'm taking biology right now and its probably due to a bad teacher than made this class extremely hard (psh, pulling random notes outta nowhere, and using the wrong book but insist its right and you just gotta 'look'). I did pretty well in Chemistry in Freshmen year, so ;) .

I'm going to need a book for the summer for this <_< ; if there's enough room in this class. *crosses fingers*

Edited by Mkxxy

I don't biology because I haven't actually learned anything. Because, the teacher is teaching us from the wrong book than what my class has. There are two classes: Biology and Biology Acc. She uses the Biology Acc book with us and we can not find any of the extra info she's sprouting at us. She makes self made notes and pulls out information from her ass. She's a terrible teacher and that's the only reason why I dislike it.

If I do IB Math Studies still.... what can I do t get into a college that doesn't recognize that class? For American, Canadian, British universities...?

• 2 years later...

I can only speak for British unis, but most of them don't specify there requirements for Maths. Some specifically don't want Maths Studies, but I don't think any of them insist on Maths SL/HL, or specific grades. Its like Lily Bean said, most British unis focus more on motivations than actual grades. If you've taken Bio and Chem HL, they probably won't care what you got in Maths. just make sure you do well in your third HL subject. A lot of them want 6s across the board at HL.

As for Canadian Universities, all Canadian universities that I have researched require at least Math SL to qualify for their Sciences/Math undergraduate programs. I am about to graduate my schools Pre-IB and we have covered most of the curriculum for Math SL. Also, in regards to not liking Bio due to the teacher, you have to remember that you may get crappy teachers in Uni as well. Notes will probably be hand written and random stuff will be thrown at you.

Hope that helps!