How do/did you select your uni?

Sanneke

Hey (former) IB-student,

Did you go to university after your IB education? Or are you planning to go to university in the near future?

In that case: Would you be so kind to answer a few questions for me?

I’m doing academic research on university choice and you could contribute by answering a few questions. This research is important, because it will help improve the information supply from universities to students worldwide.

Answering the questions will only take you a couple of minutes and you would really help me out. Please be as specific and complete as you can:

Which sources of information did you use in the process of choosing a university?

How did you choose between universities? Meaning: On which criteria did you focus when you were choosing a university?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards Sanneke

Edited by Sanneke

Did you go to university after your IB education? Oui, in my 2nd year now

Which sources of information did you use in the process of choosing a university?

- Internet

- Info session held by school with representatives from different unis coming to talk to my class (mostly UK unis)

- For info on the US unis that I never applied to: IIE (also took TOEFL through them)

- For info on Australian unis: idp Education Australia (took IELTS through them)

- For UK unis, the British Council

- Education fairs in my country - I'm at university in Australia right now and there was a education fair of Australian Universities where I got to speak to reps from all the unis I'm applying to so it was a good source of info

How did you choose between universities? Meaning: On which criteria did you focus when you were choosing a university?

In no particular order

- Cost (tuition + living)

- Reputation with the degree I'm doing

- Feel from speak to uni reps

- Country

- Ease of application (one reason I ditched the SAT and thus the US as well)

Though I'll add for me it wasn't much of a choice. Somehow I fell in love with UNSW from the first time I heard of it. They have a rep office in my city and one of them came to my school to speak to us and I spoke to the then Dean of my faculty at an edu fair. I have no idea how but I just knew I wanted to go there so all the other unis I applied to was just backup. Though to be honest right now I have than 1 problem with the uni administration but that's another story :blum:

Hey (former) IB-student,

Did you go to university after your IB education? Or are you planning to go to university in the near future?

In that case: Would you be so kind to answer a few questions for me?

I’m doing academic research on university choice and you could contribute by answering a few questions. This research is important, because it will help improve the information supply from universities to students worldwide.

Answering the questions will only take you a couple of minutes and you would really help me out. Please be as specific and complete as you can:

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards Sanneke

I'm planning to go to university this fall.

Sources of info used to choose a university:

- internet (university websites)

- magazines (Maclean's in particular, it's a Canadian journal that publishes a university issue each year in November, gives rankings of Canadian universities)

- university fairs where I got to talk to reps from each uni (there was a big one in Toronto that I went to, and I also went to one held at my school)

- friends (some of my friends are going into the same field as I am, or my friends that are a year older went into the same field as I'm planning to)

Choosing between unis:

- campus (I visited all the unis that I applied to)

- residence

- program and reputation (I want to go into really competitive programs so it looks better when I apply for grad school)

- area (where the uni is located)

- distance from home

- scholarships

- people and school spirit

Edited by __inthemaking

Did you go to university after your IB education? Going straight in this September, i finish May 19th

- Internet

- League tables (guardian and times)

- Visiting the cities of my choices to get a feel for the city and if i could picture myself 'happy' there

- Talking to current students at the unis and reading A Student Guide on thetimes.co.uk

In no particular order

- Cost (tuition + living)

- Reputation of the degree I'm doing (5 or 5* necessary for research quality assessment)

- Country, (I'm an EU citizen, through SAAS Scotland might pay my entire tuition fees and Scotland is cheaper than the UK)

- Ease of application (one reason I ditched the SAT and thus the US as well) - fully concur with HMS chocolate

- Odds of getting in and statistics for accepting different nationalities and age groups (offers per place etc)

- Weighed the physical setting of the Unis and reconciled the two

- Uni's cosmopolitan feel and attitude towards equal opportunity

guys this is for people who've already done IB and gone to Uni or not, pI doubt OP wants to know about how you're looking for resources, or not senneke? I dunno man lol you found me on facebook (which I'm still wondering how!)

I am going to junior college, because the first year is GED's, and I can't afford to pay for uni yet, and my parents are not helping me pay tuition, and they make decent money, so I don't qualify for any financial aid. Plus, scholarships look for need, not just merit, which screws me over there. So until I save enough money for uni, I'm at a community college.

I am on a gap year and I am starting Uni in Febuary next year.

- Internet

- Uni open days

In order

1. Location

2. Reputation

3. Degrees Available

4. Degree Structure

5. Cost

Yes, currently studying at the University of Bath, UK.

Parents, Times Ranking, Guardian Ranking, University Websites, and of course, UCAS.

I looked at the course and chose Universities that I liked the look of that were in the top 20 in the UK. I then visited a few. However, the actual course prospectus was what was most important to me when I was looking at Univerisities.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

I looked at the refrence book sold by the body that co-ordinates tertiaty admitions in my state, VTAC

I looked at the print material supplied by the individual institutions, and their faculties

The university I chose as my first preference was the only institution offering the couse I felt best fitted me. From there I went on course content, and ease-of-transport to and from the institution, as well as student services.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Must be in the USA :) (So that eliminates half of the best unis in the world)

2. Need Blind school (Theres only like 20 or so?)

3. IVY or MIT or top 10 LAC ( same number as need blind schools... lol)

4. living conditions.

so my list becomes:

harvard

princeton

dartmouth

uni of penn

cornell

middlebury

haha

Edited by Forester

• 2 weeks later...

it means that your low income does not endanger your admission chances. There are only a handful of schools in the world who are need blind towards international students. Meaning that if you get into those schools, you are basically in with a free ride if your income is less than US$60000 a year.