English A1 vs German A1

Caro21

I'll start IB in September and I'm moving from Germany to Wales for that.

So, I have to decide which one I want to take. I really want to take English A1 but I don't know if my English is fluent enough. I had an IELTS score of 8 but if I took English A1 I'd have to drop German altogether because it would be really stupid if I took German A2. <_<

I'd just like to hear what you think,

Caro21

Guest Lily Bean

I think with an IELTS score of 8 you should be all right with Eng A1. What was your writing score?

And why would it be stupid for you to take German A2?

I'm a German native and I really don't want to do the language stuff. German is really not my favorite subject and in A1 it would self-taught... my old teacher really made me hate that subject...

listening + reading: 8 and writing and speaking: 7.5

Hallo Caro,

according to the language A1 syllabus, the A1 course should be taken by people in their mother tongue language:

"The Language A1 programme is a literature course studied in the "first language" of the student or the language in which the student is most competent. This will normally be the language of the environment to which the student has been exposed from an early age or for an extended period. (Related terms are "mother tongue", "native language", and "home language".)"

You could start with English A1 and see if you can cope with it; if not, change to German A1 self-taught.
I also don't understand why it would be stupid to take German A2 - I know someone whose mother tongue is German and yet still takes it.

You could also consider taking German A1 SL and English A2 HL - I find this combination quite easy and doable :blum:

it's not about how fluent you are, it's literary analysis! so you'll have to be able to think in english as well. It's really the ease of finding words, as well as having a vast vocabulary. I can tell you that a lot of my friends who did english A1 were not anywhere near native speakers, and they puilled off 5s! so it's not that hard. thing with english A1, it's spoken everywhere, so your examiner can be from sumalya for all you know, and if their mindset is that different than yours (in terms of culture) then there might be a barrier in the understanding. I say go for German, everyone says it;s easier to get a 7 in any language A1 other than English....