Sine division formula

macrofire

• 2 months later...

There is no simple formula for sin(x)/sin(y).

The reason cis(x)/cis(y)=cis(x-y) is due to De Moivre's theorem.

We can rewrite cis(x)/cis(y) as cis(x)*(cis(y))^(-1).

By De Moivre's theorem, this is the same as cis(x)*cis(-y).

Using some trig properties and identities, you arrive at the conclusion:

cis(x)*cis(-y)=(cosx+isinx)(cosy-isiny)=(cosxcosy+sinxsiny)+i(sinxcosy-sinycosx)=cos(x-y)+isin(x-y)=cis(x-y)

De Moivre's theorem applies only to complex numbers so if just have sinx and siny, you cannot simplify it in an analogous manner.

• 2 weeks later...

sin(x)/sin(y) can be written/simplified in a number of ways:

• Firstly, you may reorganize the phrase as aldld did above into sin(x)csc(y), however this is merely a slightly different name for the same thing.

• Another form is "(e^(-i x)-e^(i x))/(e^(-i y)-e^(i y))", although this is also simply a substitution rearrangement of the same mathematical phrase.

• You may also assume that the x and y values are real (as in real numbers), and given that, change the form to: "-(2sin(x) sin(y)) / (cos(2y)-1)"

Hope this helps :)

P.S. The 3D graph for this formula is attached as a JPEG file so take note of that if you think visuals would help you.

post-110216-0-73886600-1357416611.jpg

• Firstly, you may reorganize the phrase as aldld did above into sin(x)csc(y), however this is merely a slightly different name for the same thing.

• Another form is "(e^(-i x)-e^(i x))/(e^(-i y)-e^(i y))", although this is also simply a substitution rearrangement of the same mathematical phrase.

• You may also assume that the x and y values are real (as in real numbers), and given that, change the form to: "-(2sin(x) sin(y)) / (cos(2y)-1)"

P.S. The 3D graph for this formula is attached as a JPEG file so take note of that if you think visuals would help you.

Thanks, although...you made it somewhat more complicated. Really, you gave me 3 identities to work with...I just wanted some really simple identity though...

Thanks, although...you made it somewhat more complicated. Really, you gave me 3 identities to work with...I just wanted some really simple identity though...

There's no way to really simplify this as with cis(x)/cis(y)=cis(x-y); all that's being given is identities and different ways of expressing this phrase. A simple identity does not exist as far as I know to simplify this further. Maybe with taylor series? I'll look into it.