Visual Art theme

yazzie

have you done any artist references? I have something on cultural background of masks, but thats really my own research.. just research masks on google, its really pretty simple - dont forget to do some code of analysisin your RWB to get some marks - its shows understanding of art and examiners like that!

yes i did but the problem is that here in bahrain, which is a small island, there isnt that much variety of artists or galleries or any such things that would help =S

and btw what is that code of analysing =S i dont think my teacher told me about that =S

[quote name='yazzie' post='15691' date='Apr 28 2008, 06:58 PM']ok so im taking IB visual art and my theme is masks and ive done about 5 studio works but now im stuck and its a bit too late to change my theme now =S so can anyone help me please =D brainstorm studio artworks i can do =)[/quote]

Hmmmm... what always helps me is a brainstorm sooo...

MASKS - SUBJECT
-- Deception
(like in Macbeth) ----> the apparently 'deceptive' nature of women?

-- Identity
(not being your true self)
(having to portray a different face in different roles)
(hiding emotions)

And theres the obvious connection to African masks, indigenuous masks etc -- they have stylistic aspects which you could incorporate into an artwork that doesnt have masks as a subject but is influenced by it maybe?

and try online galleries if you dont have any where you live

:D

definatly do some reseach into drama, where masks will be most prominent. look for some that are different from you own culture too.
you could also make them personal, and play off of you own feelings. say if yoou were feeling particular sad one day you could overexagerate that in a mask. that is what they did in one play. "5 characters in search of an author" the charaters in search of the author wear mask that are symbolic of how they will be acting in that play, and what brings about each of thier "downfalls".

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Venice and they have masks sold everywhere... There used to be festivals where people would wear masks to hide their identity. Everyone would have a one night stand and not even know they were probably doing it with their next door neighbor or a monk... or they were having some sort of secret affair. Not only were they hiding their identity, they completely lost their sense of morality.

Phantom of the Opera!

I can't think of anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='yazzie' post='15691' date='Apr 28 2008, 05:58 PM']ok so im taking IB visual art and my theme is masks and ive done about 5 studio works but now im stuck and its a bit too late to change my theme now =S so can anyone help me please =D brainstorm studio artworks i can do =)[/quote]

I agree, looking at different cultures could help you come up with an idea for a topic-picasso's work integrates a lot of African artefacts, most predominantly masks, into his artwork, but he depicts them as being people's faces to convey emotion-maybe you could do something similar?
You could also consider doing something that integrates facades ,and the whole idea of 'putting on a certain face for certain people/occasions'
Perhaps you could include some significant story/ historical event that involves masks-e.g., in romeo + juliet, the lovers meet each other at a masked ball ( +bonus , works as a link to english)
maybe if your into graphic novels/superheroes you could do something involving that sort of thing ( batman, the flash, etc) who are all masked

I like your topic, it sounds like an interesting thing to do:)
i hope i helped,
goodluck:)