Can you use contractions in the EE?

Guest TushieHushie

Guest TushieHushie

My teacher told me that you should never use contractions such as don't, won't, haven't in a formal writing. But I'm over the word limit and I need to cut down words. Is it really that important to write these words out? Would I lose marks if I used contractions?

My teacher told me that you should never use contractions such as don't, won't, haven't in a formal writing. But I'm over the word limit and I need to cut down words. Is it really that important to write these words out? Would I lose marks if I used contractions?

The whole point with an essay is that it is supposed to be as formal as possible. You will therefore be assessed on the "use of language appropriate to the subject". (Criterion G)

• Like 1

Never use contractions in formal writing. You will be penalized for it when it gets graded. There are always ways to cut down words without having to use contractions, such as using semicolons, rearranging sentences to say the same thing in as few words as possible, deleting fluff, etc. Read through it a few times or give it to someone else and chances are eventually you will cut it down enough.