Dropping Out?

kailachristine

Ive completed two years of Pre-IB and im in my first year of the Actual IB program. Im contemplating dropping out cause i dont think i will be receiving the amount of benefits i should based on all the work and the difficulty level. is this program really worth it? i dont know what the best decision is so someone please help me.

• Like 1

I personally think it depends on what you want to do Uni-wise. Also think why are you dropping out? Do I need the IB? Don't think dropping out and doing another IB equivalent program, like A levels for example, will instantly lead to an easier life. Because, generally,higher education programs are designed to be more advanced.In the end do what's best for you.

If it's solely about the difficulty of the program, there is a lot of resources and help available. If you do any of the subjects I do ( they're in my signature), you could PM me for help. I'd be happy to help any way I can and share some resources.

In America, Universities seem to appreciate the difficulty of the program (well compared to the UK) so this could be a good thing. MIT for example say they like to see a rigorous course load, which is the definition of IB.

What do you want to do after IB?

Edited by ChocolateDrop
  • Like 1

At the end of the day it's up to what you actually need, what the other available high school programs are, etcetera. If you think the workload is a bit high, you can always drop to IB Certificate. Basically you drop one subject of your choice as well as ToK/EE and you no longer have to do CAS.

• Like 1

I personally think it depends on what you want to do Uni-wise. Also think why are you dropping out? Do I need the IB? Don't think dropping out and doing another IB equivalent program, like A levels for example, will instantly lead to an easier life. Because, generally,higher education programs are designed to be more advanced.In the end do what's best for you.

If it's solely about the difficulty of the program, there is a lot of resources and help available. If you do any of the subjects I do ( they're in my signature), you could PM me for help. I'd be happy to help any way I can and share some resources.

In America, Universities seem to appreciate the difficulty of the program (well compared to the UK) so this could be a good thing. MIT for example say they like to see a rigorous course load, which is the definition of IB.

I want to go to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and major in Aerospace Engineering, but i dont think this is all worth it, especially if they dont recognize IB as much as other colleges

I want to go to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and major in Aerospace Engineering, but i dont think this is all worth it, especially if they dont recognize IB as much as other colleges

Hi there!

IB is a recognised program, and many (if not all) admission officers do value the IB in the US, more so than AP. Well, at least according to a guy who has worked for a long period in the admissions office at Harvard University. Some universities allow you to skip the first year, and others do have special scolarships for IB students.

To be completely sure, why don't you contact the admissions office at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University and ask them yourself?

• Like 1

Hi,

I've been in the same situation. Shortly after my EE I thought about dropping out but finally didn't. Now I am very happy about this decision, I learned not to stress myself anymore (at least not that much) and I really enjoy the kind of lessons we have and the people around me.

For sure in uni you will, again, be burdened with obligations, but I feel way more prepared than others, because I am used to a high level of stress.

A new attitude can be very refreshing! :chillax:

By now I am of the opinion that I shouldn't worry anymore about any deadlines or exams. I know I can make it, even though I won't have one of the top 5 diplomas in the world ( ;) ), so I do it.

Anyway, I already put a lot afford in the IB, so if I dropped, it would have been a lot of wasted time and time is just to precious, to waste it!

So if you don't feel like being absolutely destroyed by the IB I would recommend to KEEP IT UP!! :diploma:

• Like 1

I've been in the same situation. I wanted to dro pout after my Junior year but I had to reflect back on all that I've been through. I dont liek to quit...Ive seen too many quitters and it came to a point where I despise it. But anyways I kept my head lifted high because I knew there was more in me than ever. :)

If it helps I prayed and kept my mind on what was more important. It helps in the long run because at this moment I have all As and a C (history) which will soon change(referring to the C).

I have hope that I will graduate with the IB diploma! :)

• Like 1

Ive completed two years of Pre-IB and im in my first year of the Actual IB program. Im contemplating dropping out cause i dont think i will be receiving the amount of benefits i should based on all the work and the difficulty level. is this program really worth it? i dont know what the best decision is so someone please help me.

Well it all comes down to what you want to do to benefit yourself and your future.

Now listen, you do not have to take the IB program to be successful in life. If anything, it is just a "label" for you. Lots of people have that misconception and think : "If I do not take the IB diploma, I won't be as smart as those who do." Wrong. This program is not about being the smartest (but being a mini Einstein couldn't hurt :P). Its about time management and how well you can handle the workload. The whole point of the IB program is to better prepare you for university, and the real world. Not only that, it challenges you at a university level (well close to it) and really pushes you to the best of your capacity.

The benefits and inconveniences of this program differ from person to person but in general it is similar to something like this. Lets take a look at this chart shall we?

IB Pros

• Transfer credits : By acquiring a 5-7 in an IB HL course, Universities give IB students a transfer credit, permitting them to basically skip the preparatory or introductory courses. (Well that is the case in Canada not sure for other countries). For example, my friend got a 6 in HL English. In university, she didn't have to take first year general English. I think that is a bonus.
  • Time management : Because of the constant assignments and the heavy workload, by the time IB kids get to university, they will be better prepared and the amount of work won't be such a shock to IB students as opposed to a non-IB student who had any spares and slacked off etc in high school. By then, we will know how to use our time wisely and will know how to work individually.
  • Study ethics : Like in time management, good study ethics can benefit a student in the long term. Because in University, no one is going to baby you or check your homework. You will have readings to do by yourself and there is more responsibility. By having a good study and work ethic, these tasks can be easier for you.
  • Perseverance : It will really test you, on how you can manage stress. By persevering through all the hard work, unlike other school mates, you won't be a quitter.
  • Profound knowledge and a head start : The amount of stuff and content you learn is obviously more than people who do not take the program (well in most cases). For example, some of the math I am doing now is first year math in university.

Cons

• Not all University programs recognize the IB program and offer transfer credits. For example, in the engineering program at University of Toronto, IB students do not get a transfer credit for Physics.
  • Good averages: If you have a high average in your country's educational system then you should be just as fine to get into universities
  • Not everyone has bad work ethics or time management. If you know how to manage this outside of the IB program, I don't see a problem.
  • STRESS : If you let the stress get to you, it can be a significant down factor, in harming your education.

In the end, some people will say it is worth it while others will say it is not. If I were you, make a decision that YOU want to do, because in the end of the day, it is your future, not your parents nor your friends.

Ask yourself the following questions: If I quit right now, will I have any regrets? Does my preferred school recognize the IB program? What will benefit me in the long run?

If I were you, get in contact with the university you want to apply to and ask them for further information on IB student/programs at their school.

Best of Luck!

Funny10sport

Edited by funny10sport
  • Like 2

But out of everything everyone said, you will feel better after you make a choice and stick with it. One of the worst things you can do is to procrastinate on dropping IB until you realize - 2 hours before school starts, your EE is due and you still haven't started it - that the IB program isn't for you.

If you really end up procrastinating on everything: just think of me, laughing.

• Like 1

Generally US universities/ institutions recognize and award credits for IB HL subjects. Embry-riddle Aeronautical University (Florida) recognizes the IB and gives credit for higher level subjects which you get a level 4 in, with the exception of maths which you'd need a level 5. There is potential for some SL credits as well based on faculty recommendation. Personally I think this is quite generous an offer, but that's probably because I'm surrounded by Universities that truly do not appreciate the IB. In regards to your issue of IB not being recognized by Embry-riddle Aeronautical University as much as other colleges, it could be a whole lot worse. Giving credits for 4 at HL subjects is very reasonable. The key is to not compare it to other colleges. Also I'd advise you not to drop out because of one college, there's always others.

http://www.ibo.org/country/university_info.cfm?INSTITUTE_CODE=003563&current_country=US

• Like 1

I've thought of dropping out........but then I think of how much time I spent on this programme. Then, I think of how Im going to have to meet new friends which I hate ): I think that Im going to drop out by December because Im not as smart as the other people in the programme. My grades are rough and scary.........no college is going to want me.

• Like 1

I've thought of dropping out........but then I think of how much time I spent on this programme. Then, I think of how Im going to have to meet new friends which I hate ): I think that Im going to drop out by December because Im not as smart as the other people in the programme. My grades are rough and scary.........no college is going to want me.

Well if you have that kind of mentality then maybe you are right and you can choose to quit. But I think you shouldn't define your worth or intelligence based on other people around you. Sure you can look and see where they are but they have no control over your life. Only YOU do. In spite of all the hardships, if you do your best and just keep improving on your weaknesses then you can do it! It will get you nowhere if you do not take action and think like that. I think people underestimate themselves and their potential and they cause themselves to fail. If you did your all and realize that IB is just not for you and decide to quit, then I don't see a problem. Make a decision with no regrets.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi everybody! Im not sure if any of you will see this but i would like to post it anyways.

My decision was to stay in IB and I continue to think that staying in IB and not quitting was the best decision. IB is hard but thats why I love it. It challenges me and makes me take myself to the next level. Thank you to everyone that gave me such great advice. I wish you all the best! :)

• Like 2

The fact is, IB is meant to be hard. Everyone feels that there is way more work than they can ever reasonably do! However, one thing I will say is that I noticed that you're doing 4 HLs- how come? This may be one of the reasons why you're finding it so difficult- especially with the combination of Chem and History HL! Have you considered dropping one to SL?

Hi everybody! Im not sure if any of you will see this but i would like to post it anyways.

My decision was to stay in IB and I continue to think that staying in IB and not quitting was the best decision. IB is hard but thats why I love it. It challenges me and makes me take myself to the next level. Thank you to everyone that gave me such great advice. I wish you all the best! :)

I'm glad you found a solution that worked out well for you! :) It is true that the IB is challenging, but that's what it's meant to be. There would have been no reason to do IB if it wasn't challenging, because it is the challenge and the pressure that an IB student goes through that makes them a good candidate for universities.

It seems like you're starting to enjoy the IB for the right reasons as well, that is great! I myself enjoyed the challenge IB offered, and although I procrastinated way too much, I always tried to improve. I don't think I would have had the same motivation to do so outside of the IB diploma programme.

However, if you find it too challenging, iblyf raises a valid point - why exactly are you doing four HL subjects? The IB is structured so that a student should be reasonably challenged by three HL subjects, and four HL subjects might for some be a bit over the top. The only reason I see why you would do four HL subjects is due to university requirements, otherwise I would argue it is redundant with so many HL subjects.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I know that it's a bit too late to respond to this one, but I would drop out in the case that you do not feel satisfied with it. I dropped out due to its limited flexibility, distance and broken promises. I am more descriptive in some of my previous posts. Anyway, I would consider the PSEOP or AP. Good luck with your final decisions!

Edited by IB*Dropout

Yeah, I know that it's a bit too late to respond to this one, but I would drop out in the case that you do not feel satisfied with it. I dropped out due to its limited flexibility, distance and broken promises. I am more descriptive in some of my previous posts. Anyway, I would consider the PSEOP or AP. Good luck with your final decisions!

If you read the above posts, the original poster decided to stay in IB and is glad with her decision to stay. Please don't comment on old or answered threads just to increase your post count.