Sign in to follow this  

How to write a recommendation

I participated in a Model United Nations in Wroclaw Poland last october and I did brilliant. I am in contact with the secretary general who is 18 and I wanted him to write me a letter of recommendation. He himself has no idea how to do that and doesn't have time since he is in IB2 now so he told me to write a recommendation for myself and he would sign it.

But... I also don't have an idea on how to write a recommendation, i'm sure there is ''code-language'' attached since i probably can't just write ''he is brilliant period.''

The main reason why I want a recommendation from this event is because I was the leader of the group who was awarded the ''Best Delegation'' and it was my second (out of 3) and best MUN so far

Can anyone give me some advice on how to write a recommendation? I would like to outline;

[list]Leadership

Team work

Debating skills

any extra fluff
[/list]

Guest Lily Bean
Write it like a personal statement but about someone else. Thats what the PS is - a recommendation of yourself

make sure you mention the uni too...

e.g. his ability to articulate his independent thoughts and collaborate as a team member makes me believe he will be an asset to your college community.

and how your skills will ensure you 'thrive'

dont be afraid to make it too self-praising if its true

[quote name='appleme' post='16351' date='May 9 2008, 09:40 PM']make sure you mention the uni too...

e.g. his ability to articulate his independent thoughts and collaborate as a team member makes me believe he will be an asset to your college community.

and how your skills will ensure you 'thrive'

dont be afraid to make it too self-praising if its true[/quote]

Mention the inidividual college? I.e. ''This student would most certainly be a great asset to Harvard'' meaning i need to get many (+15) identical recommendations with only college name changing

Or do you mean more like ''this student would make a great asset to any college that is lucky enough to accept this student'' like pretty general, but still hinting that this is a reccomendation for college

if you're applying to an ivy league or somewhere really competitive an individual one might be a good idea... but the second general sentence is more what i was hinting at.

Just make sure that he is compeltely aware of everything you write on the LOR. Generally, there is an ethical question when writing LORs for your self. In the US, unis don't particularly score LORs for which access has not been waived by the student. So this is something to be aware of. Also, some universities have been known to call up a letter writer to confirm some statement or to have the elaborate on a particular statement in the letter. Hence, be completely sure that he knows exactly what he is signing, because if you or he gets caught, it will be considered an ethical violation/academic dishonesty.

[quote name='booji' post='18345' date='Jun 15 2008, 06:47 PM']Just make sure that he is compeltely aware of everything you write on the LOR. Generally, there is an ethical question when writing LORs for your self. In the US, unis don't particularly score LORs for which access has not been waived by the student. So this is something to be aware of. Also, some universities have been known to call up a letter writer to confirm some statement or to have the elaborate on a particular statement in the letter. Hence, be completely sure that he knows exactly what he is signing, because if you or he gets caught, it will be considered an ethical violation/academic dishonesty.[/quote]

What's a ''LOR''?

What do you mean by ''access waived by the student''? - giving the contact details of my recommender?

My writer will agree to everything I write up, i'm only writing it because he has no time and he has no idea how to write one

[quote name='Mark' post='18358' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:20 PM']What's a ''LOR''?

What do you mean by ''access waived by the student''? - giving the contact details of my recommender?

My writer will agree to everything I write up, i'm only writing it because he has no time and he has no idea how to write one[/quote]

LOR = Letter of Recommendation

Access Waived By Student = you waive your right to see the letter. If you are writing the letter, then obviously, you cannot waive your right. Letters that dont have the student's access waived are generally weighted less at US universities (if they are considered in the first place).

[quote name='Mark' post='18358' date='Jun 15 2008, 11:20 PM']My writer will agree to everything I write up, i'm only writing it because he has no time and he has no idea how to write one[/quote]

One more thing - although he will agree to everything you write up, he would need to be able to communicate that in case an adcom member calls him up. Basically, your recommender would need to understand exactly what he signing in case he gets questioned on it in the future. Edited by HMSChocolate