Pre-exam discussion

Soppy

The math SL test? Yeah, I'm freaking out too because our teacher has yet to get one problem right using a derivative. But here's my thought: whether or not this is your strongest area, you can probably muster out at least a 3-5 average on the test and just make it up in another area. You'll do fine :hug:

Guest syrianstar

[quote name='SexyNinjaShadow' post='15886' date='May 2 2008, 06:01 AM']But here's my thought: whether or not this is your strongest area, you can probably muster out at least a 3-5 average on the test and just make it up in another area. You'll do fine ^_^ [/quote]

Lol its so true :hug:

The best thing to do is to begin reviewing NOW (I'm sure you are) until your maths exam, and then just go in there and do your utmost best. If you were to do poorly in your exam (I hope not though :P ) than maybe your IAs can bring your grade up.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

They bell curve all the marks because some countries do more poorly than others..I did math SL last year and 85% of my class (we had about 60 people, I believe) got a level 7. The other 15% of people that didn't get 7 got either a 6 or a 5...so the lowest ANYONE got was a level 5.

Some of the people that ended up with a level 7 actually had 70s before taking the exam..so they went up by more than 20% after the exam.

I seriously doubt you'll do very poorly on this exam haha.

Yup I agree with you, guy-on-top-of-me. For all of you guys who are insecure about this test, remember that its easier than last year"s since its no calculator. I know it sounds crazy because generally having a calculator is good. But in this case it became easier because now the problems all have pretty numbers. Plus if you really wanted to some reassurance, remember that the test has only about 2 questions out of the 16, that relate to calculus, and then its all 1 question per topic. So you might be horrible in calculus but amazing in stats and still get a pretty high score. So don't stress over it and remember to study because if you do you'll probably get good marks.

Oh and if you need some last minute help on ANY topic let me know since I'm taking it too and I have already perfected all the topics.

[font="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='SexyNinjaShadow' post='15886' date='May 2 2008, 01:01 AM']The math SL test? Yeah, I'm freaking out too because our teacher has yet to get one problem right using a derivative. But here's my thought: whether or not this is your strongest area, you can probably muster out at least a 3-5 average on the test and just make it up in another area. You'll do fine :yes: [/quote]

Are you for real? about your teacher? that's really scary. the good news is, to get a good score, you only need about 1/2 of the available marks and calc stuff, like derivatives, only takes up about one third of the test. In addition, you can get method points on the calculus questions even if you get the answers wrong. In conclusion, don't stress too much! I'm sure you'll do fine. :) [/font]

[quote name='Soppy' post='15870' date='May 1 2008, 07:36 PM']I'm kinda freaking out about my upcoming exams (next wed.) and was wondering if anyone can offer assurance lol. What happens if I do really poorly on this exam?[/quote]

Soppy, I know you, and I know you're going to totally dominate math. I mean, it's going to hear about you from psychology, and be terrified. The only thing you need to worry about is finding math so you can take its lunch money. (Yes, in this metaphor, psychology and math are people, and yes I know that makes me wierd)

But if it is easier and more people do better, then they usually increase the grade boundaries or so I heard because apperently they put the grade boundaries afterwards :yes:

I am so scared. I haven't studied as much math as I wished and I have always done poorly on math :) I always do really stupid mistakes or go blank at things that I know that I know :D

[quote name='Afterglow' post='16154' date='May 6 2008, 03:21 PM']But if it is easier and more people do better, then they usually increase the grade boundaries or so I heard because apperently they put the grade boundaries afterwards >.<

I am so scared. I haven't studied as much math as I wished and I have always done poorly on math :lol: I always do really stupid mistakes or go blank at things that I know that I know :( [/quote]

aww...don't worry, you'll do great! Just relax and eat right for tomorrow. DON'T try to read the whole IB book tonight, it won't help. If anything, all that does is give you a headache. Your best shot is to study for paper 2 which you still have time for.