The positive outcome of IB?

yazzie

Around here all we seem to be doing is complaining about how difficult IB is and how stressful it is and how everyone hates it, so why take it then? not that im saying dont taek it or drop it or anything, but everyone knows IB is hard even before takign it, so what motivated you to take it, why take it then?

So I decided to post this topic to see what you IB's benefitted from taking IB. IB wouldn't be so succesful around the world unless it really did benefit the students who took it, so what have you guys learnt from taking IB, what has been the positive outcome of taking it(which im sure there is!)??

It's a change and something to remind us all why we took IB in the first place, might help renew and raise our spirits and restore the faith we had when we first began taking IB =)

Guest syrianstar

It's taught me how to spell baccaleureate :D ( Is that even how you spell it - man where is my dictionary gone?)

Lol I think IB is one of those things that you find are useful only after a very long time....sort of like eating spinach. :lol:

Guest syrianstar
syrianstar:

Actually, it's spelled baccalaureate. :lol:

I can pretend and say that I spelt like that on purpose :D ......ahem ahem......but I won't

LOL I can't believe myself! :P I blame it on the significant lack of the dictionary :D

Edited by syrianstar

Well, I think (and hope) that the IB will make it easier for me during university and like someone said, I kind of like the challange, even though I sometimes tear my hair in desperation :D . I think I've learned a lot about myself and about other through the IB, and I feel like that will benefit me sooner or later, if it haven't already.

Well, I think (and hope) that the IB will make it easier for me during university and like someone said, I kind of like the challange, even though I sometimes tear my hair in desperation :D . I think I've learned a lot about myself and about other through the IB, and I feel like that will benefit me sooner or later, if it haven't already.

thats great! =D now f only they would make those discoveries come about in an easier way....=P

IB is great because I had a first-year student come to visit the school and his younger brother who is in IB Chem. HL is doing stuff that he has never learned. It's great to broaden your knowledge base. Plus with stuff like English I have improved my writing. It's all about bettering yourself so you can succeed in the future, eh?

I did IB to challenge myself, because it would get me a better ENTER score and because I wanted to do subjects like Geography and Spanish which I wouldn't have done if I did VCE instead. I refute the claim of the OP "that everyone hates it" personally I loved IB, it was harder than I expected but I enjoyed it, probably partly because see all emotions as something brilliant even stress, and nervousness, IB helped give my life passion. At the moment not doing IB and working in 2 jobs which I feel indifferent towards, my life feels kind of empty. A lot of my liking for IB is probably because I like learning new things; I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. An added side effect of doing IB at my school is that there was a spirit of collaboration amongst the IB students that was absent from the competitiveness and backstabbing of the VCE students (because in VCE you are ranked against your class for approximately 50% of your final mark.)

But from IB I got confidence, passion, knowlegde, something to hold over my brother and sister (my IB score transmuted into an ENTER score higher thatn both of theirs), friends and emotion.

Isn't it obvious that I am on the IB cheer squad?

its true, ive found out that IB does broaden your horizons, (TOK and CAS) and it does try to show you how to make connections, and go past the literal meanings of everything!

Haha I think it's a global tendency that IB kids complain a LOT about the workload and are huge procrastinators (with forums like these, who wouldn't be?) So in that respect, I think the biggest thing I've gained is living in that sense of community and being able to talk to people across the globe who understand what you're going through.

Let's treasure it while we can, because in the real world, different countries rarely ever understand each other.

thats very true! i never thought of it that way! and its sad how the only thing that there has become practically nothing that can unite many countries of the world...

it was the onoly way to get a good education for me, and i wnated the callenge. on top fo that next year at uni will just be the like IB styled calsses, and i will be able to use alkl of the essays that i have already written. i will enter uni as an almost sophmore if not a sophmore. i get $5000 US at least, just cos i got the diploma, i learned spanish, and learned how to make jewelry (which i am working on into turning in a career). so in the end it was the best thing that i could have done for myslef. it was worth all fo that stress.

wow! now thats what we should all be getting out of IB =) thats really great though! im glad it helped you so much! =)

You guys were lucky, you had GOOD TOK teachers...

But in any case, I also took IB for the challenge! I figured it would train me for university :D . I can't say that it's been the greatest year of my life - in fact, it's probably been the most hectic, stressful, year I've had so far, but I've definitely learned a lot about perserverance, and it's made me grow as a person. Besides that, I'd say IB History and IB English have shaped up my analysis skills...

Guest iber2468

Haha I think it's a global tendency that IB kids complain a LOT about the workload and are huge procrastinators (with forums like these, who wouldn't be?) So in that respect, I think the biggest thing I've gained is living in that sense of community and being able to talk to people across the globe who understand what you're going through.

Let's treasure it while we can, because in the real world, different countries rarely ever understand each other.

it was the onoly way to get a good education for me, and i wnated the callenge. on top fo that next year at uni will just be the like IB styled calsses, and i will be able to use alkl of the essays that i have already written. i will enter uni as an almost sophmore if not a sophmore. i get $5000 US a year at least, just cos i got the diploma, i learned spanish, and learned how to make jewelry (which i am working on into turning in a career). so in the end it was the best thing that i could have done for myslef. it was worth all fo that stress.

Edited by Renee

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys,

i'm currently enrolled in IB right now, but i don't understand it's benefits or what good does it bring me. one thing i know is, it is a lot harder than those normal honors or AP classes. thank you so much!

Why am I doing IB? Oh... *sighhhh*

Dunno. Because I'm a masochist? ;)

Nah, see- I want to study overseas, so IB is probably the best option for me. Also, most of my friends are doing IB, lol. And besides, it's easier to get into a good uni if you do IB- unis prefer IBers because we've done CAS, TOK, EE etc.

I took it because it was a challenge- and because my dad wanted me to.

I thought it might make me stand out against other people wanting to take medicine. However, I've been told it's so much harder to get into medicine with the IB than with anything else. I suppose we'll see.