Mathematics EE- Solids of Revolutions

SexyNinjaShadow

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if anyone had some advise for that can help with my idea for an EE paper. IB is relatively new at our school so it goes without going that the teachers teaching our six areas are not as familiar with the standards so I was looking for some help on my topic. Unfortunately, math is my strongest area but my school has only gone as far as to offer Calculus and I'm unsure if this is a high enough level of math to pass as a good EE paper.
My topic is: The mathematical advancement of integrals in calculus to build the concept of solids of revolutions.
The only problem is, I don't think this topic is valid as I don't really prove anything. Any input on how to change this topic would be very much appreciated.

Guest Lily Bean

To have a good math EE you dont necessarily have to have a certain 'level' of math and I think Calc is fine. But your title I think at the moment is not analytical enough.

[quote]The mathematical advancement of integrals in calculus to build the concept of solids of revolutions.[/quote]
It seems a lot like you're just going to describe the advance of integrals to build solid revolutions. What you need is a title that goes along the line of "To what extent does [something] contribute to [something else]. I'm not a math person so please don't make me come up with anything for you :hug:

Guest blazure

I agree, your extended essay needs to be an analytical work, not a collection of facts. Of course you do need facts, but your thesis needs to be something to which you can add your personal opinion to (which IB loves). The people at my school did their math ee's based upon precalc knowledge and we've had the program for many years. Perhaps you'd like to go the route in how integrals were born out of necessity or the development of new technology, including 2 and 3 dimensional objects. Remember, you need strong facts for your essay (i.e. books) which you can find. Go to your library and see what kind of information you can find on the subject(s) that interest you.

Edited by blazure

• 3 weeks later...

I did a math portfolio on solids of revolution this year. Well it was just about finding the ratios between the solids of revolution of the permutated region above the curve and below the curve with the revolution amongst both the x and y axis. But i dunno if it's valid for a EE topik.. try asking your supervisor =] because i think the ratio has been proven a fact ~.~ and if i did that i dunno what else to do... if you need any more information regarding this just pm me =]