History IA Question

Stroft

Sounds like a doable question with good enough focus - however, you might want to try and define the scope a bit more. Do you want to look at the colonial history of ethnic division etc., or focus more on Belgian reactions contemporary to the genocide? I don't think it's an overdone question, but there should be lots of sources for information/analysis, which is good.

Hello! I was just looking for any input on if this seems a narrow/good enough question for an IA.

To what extent did Belgian influence in Rwanda lead to Rwandan Genocide in 1994?

Any input is greatly appreciated! ^_^

I personally think its a great question. Be sure to find a good primary source to analyze (I recommend that for the OPVL part, which is easy points) as well as many credible sources to back up your claims and you`re set! It`s something that hasn't been overdone before, I think you have a good shot in making it very unique and interesting! Generally it is the Analyze - Option D part where people loose marks or don't get full marks. Be sure to analyze and not just state information there. So really try to investigate on how the prior Belgium reign influenced the rising and escalation of the Rwandan War.

Best of Luck!

Funny10Sport

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to be aiming more towards the colonial history of Belgium in Rwanda, so I can probably restate the question to be "To what extent did Belgian colonialism in Rwanda lead to Rwandan Genocide in 1914", or something like it.

And I certainly will try to avoid simply stating my information, especially since that tends to apply to IB History as a whole. Thanks again! :)

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to be aiming more towards the colonial history of Belgium in Rwanda, so I can probably restate the question to be "To what extent did Belgian colonialism in Rwanda lead to Rwandan Genocide in 1914", or something like it.

And I certainly will try to avoid simply stating my information, especially since that tends to apply to IB History as a whole. Thanks again! :)

That sounds even better!

Hope things go well in your IA! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Arrowhead, your topic is still too broad. I read an EE on this very topic once, actually, and could easily have been much longer. Remember that this is an IA, and you will only spend 600-800 words on the actual analysis.

Also, a typo in your current RQ - the genocide took place in 1994, not 1914 ;)

I agree with Arrowhead, your topic is still too broad. I read an EE on this very topic once, actually, and could easily have been much longer. Remember that this is an IA, and you will only spend 600-800 words on the actual analysis.

Also, a typo in your current RQ - the genocide took place in 1994, not 1914 ;)

Yeah I noticed that I put a 1 instead of a 9 after I posted it, but was too lasy to edit :(

In terms of focusing the topic a tad more, perhaps I should focus on specifically how Belgians, while being in control of Rwanda, chose to favor the Tutsis and put them above the Hutus, and thats effect on the future genocide.

If that still seems too broad I'll try to keep narrowing it down. Thanks for the feedback so far, and any more is certainly welcomed!

I think your suggestion about focusing on Belgium favouring the Tutsis sounds like a much better and focused topic. It will make your IA a bit more original and still be very specific. A general rule of thumb: The more specific your RQ is, the better it is.

I just started my IA so we don't need to have a definitive title yet I am looking at two areas right now and seeing which one will work out better.

Who is responsible for the Aboriginals Ordinance acts and consequently the stolen generation; Australian society, government or religious society?

or

How is the My Lai Masacre a result of the American Governments use of euphemisms of war that dehumanized the Vietnamese people in the eyes of American soldiers?

They're not quite there yet but they are a start and I like the topics and enjoy discussing them so hopefully one of them will work out! :D

Hi GemmaJade!

You should probably have posted this in a new thread. This thread is for discussing Stroft's IA, not yours.

The first one sounds like a closed one - isn't there a clear-cut answer to this? Additionally, why did you choose those three specific 'causes'?

I'm afraid you would drift too much into psychology on the second one. How would you know that the dehumanisation affected the soldiers?