Harvard University

cranberry_isle

Harvard's without doubt the one place that I would absolutely LOVE to go. and considering it's popularity, i was suprised it didn't have a thread.

so is there anyone else with plans to go to Harvard?

who maybe got accepted already?

or plans to apply next year? (and is scared to DEATH of their 7% acceptance rate like I am)

Just curious on opinions/thoughts about one of the American Ivies :D

Harvard's without doubt the one place that I would absolutely LOVE to go. and considering it's popularity, i was suprised it didn't have a thread.

so is there anyone else with plans to go to Harvard?

who maybe got accepted already?

or plans to apply next year? (and is scared to DEATH of their 7% acceptance rate like I am)

Just curious on opinions/thoughts about one of the American Ivies :D

Haha, who ISN'T interested? Harvard has an amazing reputation, and it's right next to MIT! How amazing is that?

It isn't my top choice, but I may apply if I decide to stay in the US. However, it is EXTREMELY selective. A student at my school got a perfect score on the SAT, very high scores on his SAT IIs, straight As, was captain of the dance team, participated in every musical at my school, was president of 2 clubs, was a member of showchoir, was in 4 honor societies, did 370 CAS hours (mostly service), had excellent reccomendations, etc. and was STILL rejected. He was crushed. And that pretty much crushed my hope. :P

Well, at least a little.

But seriously, Harvard is only one of the best schools for you depending on what you are planning to study. Personally, I think MIT is a much better choice if you want to study math or the sciences. :lol:

yeah, I'm definately not a math/science person... :D

and though i knew getting into Harvard was going to be a HUGE stretch...

it just got much bigger... your friend sounds like he would have been perfect!

eeks. I guess it's a good thing that I really like my second choice as well (which is actually possible to get into)

Haha, who ISN'T interested? Harvard has an amazing reputation, and it's right next to MIT! How amazing is that?

It isn't my top choice, but I may apply if I decide to stay in the US. However, it is EXTREMELY selective. A student at my school got a perfect score on the SAT, very high scores on his SAT IIs, straight As, was captain of the dance team, participated in every musical at my school, was president of 2 clubs, was a member of showchoir, was in 4 honor societies, did 370 CAS hours (mostly service), had excellent reccomendations, etc. and was STILL rejected. He was crushed. And that pretty much crushed my hope. :lol:

Well, at least a little.

But seriously, Harvard is only one of the best schools for you depending on what you are planning to study. Personally, I think MIT is a much better choice if you want to study math or the sciences. :D

heey

i was actually thinking of applying for harvard med school but i think ill change mind if your friend wasnt excepted!!

does anyone have any suggesstions about good med schools?!

i was actually thinking of applying for harvard med school but i think ill change mind if your friend wasnt excepted!!

Actually I think it's possible to get into Harvard even if you are 'perfect' as Mandi's friend.

My friend got into Harvard with 'only' 42 predicted (after bonus), pretty ok SAT I score (she did get full marks on SATII Maths, granted), normal CAS activities, and an interview. Ok I reckon her reference was excellent but I really think the reason she got in was the interview, not her grades. Though I don't know whether the fact she applied as an international student made any difference.

So just apply. You never know :D

I think Harvard is a bit more about who you know than what you know, if you get what I mean. My government teacher last year told us about this friend of his that got C's in school, but got into Harvard because his father played golf with the president and got him to write a recommendation - he ended up dropping out after a semester though.

I'm not trying to crush your dreams - I understand them completely, I want to get into that other impossible school in Mass. MIT - and I honestly hope you get into Harvard. And never give up hope :D

Edited by Tyro

I think Harvard is a bit more about who you know than what you know, if you get what I mean. My government teacher last year told us about this friend of his that got C's in school, but got into Harvard because his father played golf with the president and got him to write a recommendation - he ended up dropping out after a semester though.

I'm not trying to crush your dreams - I understand them completely, I want to get into that other impossible school in Mass. MIT - and I honestly hope you get into Harvard. And never give up hope :D

Yay! Another person that wants to go to MIT!

I agree in not giving up hope. But connections definitely help. :lol:

Maybe if all of us that want to get into Harvard get in, and all of us that want to get into MIT get in, we can cross the bridge and have a party to celebrate! :D

And then maybe it will rain ice cream! :P (No sarcasm intended.)

Guest syrianstar

It isn't my top choice, but I may apply if I decide to stay in the US. However, it is EXTREMELY selective. A student at my school got a perfect score on the SAT, very high scores on his SAT IIs, straight As, was captain of the dance team, participated in every musical at my school, was president of 2 clubs, was a member of showchoir, was in 4 honor societies, did 370 CAS hours (mostly service), had excellent reccomendations, etc. and was STILL rejected. He was crushed. And that pretty much crushed my hope. :lol:

Well, at least a little.

Ok that totally crushed my hopes too :D lol

My friend got into Harvard with 'only' 42 predicted (after bonus), pretty ok SAT I score (she did get full marks on SATII Maths, granted), normal CAS activities, and an interview. Ok I reckon her reference was excellent but I really think the reason she got in was the interview, not her grades. Though I don't know whether the fact she applied as an international student made any difference.

So just apply. You never know :P

Now they're a little more rekindled *teary smile*

Aaaahh it's not even like I don't know how selective places like Harvard can be, but still I think everyone dreams once in a while of being accepted in a place like that. Maybe then it will rain ice cream :D

I don't give up hope but I might not get accepted but my friend will.... which isn't fair - just because YOUR dad knows someone important YOU shouldn't be guaranteed entry

Agreed, but alumni connections give you a big boost at most Ivy League schools.

I applied to Harvard last fall, got denied, no big surprise there.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Harvard, and most other schools of similar calibre, look for students who are outstanding and show passion for what they do. When we went to visit the school last summer, the admissions officer stressed being "flat-sided," rather than "well-rounded." They'd rather see someone with one or two activities that they put all their time and effort into, and have made some significant contribution in those areas, rather than someone with perfect SATs, perfect GPA, and a smattering of extracurriculars.

I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't get in -- my strengths are my academic credentials (36 ACT/2330 SAT, ranked 5th in class of almost 600, 4.8+ GPA). My extracurriculars are pretty weak in comparison -- I was president of two small clubs, senior rep on our IB student council, and VP of our school's National Honor Society. Sounds alright, but to be honest, I didn't really do much with any of the clubs. Yes, I organized a few fundraisers and miscellaneous events, but when compared with someone who volunteers every day at the soup kitchen or something, it's a pretty weak contribution/dedication.

I think my school has never had anyone accepted to Harvard. The closest was this one guy who graduated the year before me -- he was waitlisted. Near-perfect SAT/ACT, officer in various clubs, played tennis, and spent his summers doing research at one of the local universities, 40+ on his IB Diploma. Harvard didn't want him, but UPenn offered him some sort of guarantee through his masters if he continues his research there.

Harvard isn't the end all be all... It is really an amaaaaazing school, and it doesn't hurt to give it a shot!

Best of luck to everyone who's applying! =D

Edited by BBiswatching

and considering it's popularity, i was suprised it didn't have a thread.

I know that if you make basic grammar mistakes like using the genitive "it's" instead of the possessive "its", you will not get into Harvard, also suRprise not suprise (common mistakes but still >.< ). This is because your SAT scores will suffer too greatly to be considered. Anyway...

The only IB student I know that got into harvard (they won't get an 'H' from me) is a kid who got 45 points on his IB, took 4 extra subjects and got 7 in all of them but 1 (he got a 6). He's Chinese and his father is well-off Financial Director. He aced his SATs and basically being able to brag 45 points and 4 extra subjects is the kind of workaholic harvard wants.

My friend just got rejected from harvard and his father is an alumnus! So it's not just who you know or who your parents are. It's so damn competitive it's really not worth the admission essays, interviews etc for the .07 probability that you'll actually get in. My advice: don't place too much emphasis on the 'ivy' brand (since it actually originates from college athletics lol). Find a uni you'll be happy at with a nice atmosphere etc and not too obsessed with perfection - it's not healthy.

Remember that harvard is reserved for the rich and powerful's offspring to perpetuate the cycle, so unless you're very very poor and willing to work your ass off to stand out, your chances will be very slim at best - sorry.

Edited by blindpet

I know that if you make basic grammar mistakes like using the genitive "it's" instead of the possessive "its", you will not get into Harvard, also suRprise not suprise (common mistakes but still :lol: ). This is because your SAT scores will suffer too greatly to be considered. Anyway...

...boy do I feel torn apart at the moment. :(

surprise was a typo... too many r's get my fingers confused I guess >.<:S

--I am also FULLY aware of the INCREDIBLY slim chances I have to get in.

still, nothing wrong with hoping right?

I love my second choice as well, so I won't be too dissapointed when I don't make it: William and Mary in Va.

What can I say? I'm into the historical bit.

(Harvard and W&M were the first 2 colleges in the US)

Edited by cranberry_isle

...boy do I feel torn apart at the moment. :(

surprise was a typo... too many r's get my fingers confused I guess >.<:S

I love my second choice as well, so I won't be too dissapointed when I don't make it: William and Mary in Va.

Nothing wrong with hoping - ever!

Sorry if I came off as too blunt, (btw disappointed not dissapointed :S:lol: )

I wish you all the best with your applications, just don't place too much weight on which uni you go to :( . Being an oxford reject (after interview) I speak from experience :D . btw, I'll be going to the oldest uni in Scotland as long as my predicted grades are somewhat accurate, so I totally understand the historical bit

Edited by blindpet

I totally understand you man. But Harvard is not all that, its just the name. You'd probably be better off applying to another Ivy League School, such as Brown or Dartmouth. George Bush and all those retards got into Harvard because of their daddies. Its definetly a great school to meet people and for networking, and you'd pretty much have your future set. But, you could always transfer to Harvard from another school.

2 people in my school are applying to Harvard

Me and my friend

My friend's dad has contacts with the guy who represents Harvard in Poland. My friend also has average grades in IB, high SAT I scores (above 2100) and sloppy extra-curriculars. But chances are that this guy will write my friend's recommendation, get into Harvard and drop out after a semester (he is totally not work-orientated)

I on the other hand have no ''great contacts'' besides from the academics and extra curriculars. Get above average IB grades and I will receive my SAT I scores on 22 May and chances are that i'll score around 1500-1800. I have pretty good extracurriculars though (I am work-orientated)

I don't give up hope but I might not get accepted but my friend will.... which isn't fair - just because YOUR dad knows someone important YOU shouldn't be guaranteed entry

I'm applying. and I'm not desperately hoping that i will get in. cz i wont. lol.

it will certainly be a surprise if i do tho.

btw mark, your SAT is a bit on the low side. you have to have AT LEAST 1800... even if you are a grandmaster at chess, climbed mt everest, etc.

although a grandmaster who has climbed mt everest is pretty rare, so maybe they might get in with 1800...

Edited by Forester

Well, I'm not sure about the whole "it's harder for international students to get in"...a girl who graduated from my school last year got into Harvard (mind you, she was a GENIUS and was given all these ridiculous community service awards, like woman of the year for contributing most to improving the status of women around our city, etc, etc).

I just did the May session one, so I will know the results this Thursday.

For CR I basically just memorised wordsmart 1 and 2. And did loads of practice papers. Maths is easy compared to HL maths. And writing I usually don't do so well on, but for the essay bit I am expecting a 11 or 12 out of 12.

So predicted scores:

CR 690 Maths 780 Writing 700 Overall 2170

That's the predicted scores after I took the real SAT, before I took it I was expecting 750,800,700

Edited by Forester

• 4 weeks later...