Language B-- HL vs SL

Due to schedule difficulties, both Spanish HL and SL are mixed together in the Spanish classes. (I'm only in IB I, they split up next year) I'm one of the best in my class at learning the language, and therefore my teacher encouraged me to take HL. However, there's only a few of us-- (the others taking HL have some sort of spanish background, though it's still their second language) So I'm the only one who was completely new to Spanish going into high school. All our teacher has told us in class relates to the SL assessments, so I'm curious to know what's added for the HL... or are they simply more strict with their scores?

I don't know if the other languages follow the same guidelines and assessment processes, but if anyone from another language knows something... any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

[quote name='cranberry_isle' post='15978' date='May 3 2008, 05:18 PM']Due to schedule difficulties, both Spanish HL and SL are mixed together in the Spanish classes. (I'm only in IB I, they split up next year) I'm one of the best in my class at learning the language, and therefore my teacher encouraged me to take HL. However, there's only a few of us-- (the others taking HL have some sort of spanish background, though it's still their second language) So I'm the only one who was completely new to Spanish going into high school. All our teacher has told us in class relates to the SL assessments, so I'm curious to know what's added for the HL... or are they simply more strict with their scores?

I don't know if the other languages follow the same guidelines and assessment processes, but if anyone from another language knows something... any information would be GREATLY appreciated.[/quote]

Well, perhaps I can help, because Spanish SL and HL are both mixed together at my school as well, and they don't split up in IB II either. I also decided to take HL at my teacher's encouragement, and most of the others taking it are native speakers. (Not fair!). Basically, the only difference is that in the orals they expect HL students to use higher level vocabulary, more idioms, more verb tenses (can you say [i]subjunctive[/i]?), to have their message be more insightful, and for it to be almost gramatically perfect; whereas the SL criteria is a bit more lenient. Also, I believe the HL students have to write a longer essay in their paper II? Oh, and the test is harder [duh.] (higher level vocab, more difficult sentence structures, sometimes very confusing to understand, etc.) :D

But, the fact that your class is mixed with SL and HL can be a good thing. It always helps me to explain things to the SL students that they don't understand, which in turn reinforces my understanding. Also, our group orals are mixed with HL and SL, so it gives you a confidence boost. :lol: (Just don't be too hard on them!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, I don't do Spanish but Mandarin B instead.

For Mandarin, there isn't much difference between HL and SL- for SL essays, you need to write at least 400 words; in HL, you need to write at least 500 words.

Also, the anaysis passages in Paper 1 are obviously more challenging.

Interesting... our school only offers Spanish Ab Initio... :|

I did Danish B HL and our classes were mixed as well. However, 5 of us are practically fluent in Danish and instead of doing 5 lessons a week with people who could barely speak the language, the teacher split us up so we could do intense Danish together and not have to be slowed down by the newbies. For paper 2 in Danish B we had to write 400 words whereas SL had to write 250 (we're both given 90 mins for paper 2). I actually thought that SL papers were harder than the HL papers but maybe that's just me.

Remember that HL are supposed to have 5 lessons per week whereas SL has 3 lessons per week (at least at my school). So even if the HL/SL is mixed you should have 2 lessons per week with JUST HLs where you can work more intensely. If this doesn't happen tell your IBC.

[quote name='blindpet' post='17019' date='May 22 2008, 05:56 PM']I did Danish B HL and our classes were mixed as well. However, 5 of us are practically fluent in Danish and instead of doing 5 lessons a week with people who could barely speak the language, the teacher split us up so we could do intense Danish together and not have to be slowed down by the newbies. For paper 2 in Danish B we had to write 400 words whereas SL had to write 250 (we're both given 90 mins for paper 2). I actually thought that SL papers were harder than the HL papers but maybe that's just me.

Remember that HL are supposed to have 5 lessons per week whereas SL has 3 lessons per week (at least at my school). So even if the HL/SL is mixed you should have 2 lessons per week with JUST HLs where you can work more intensely. If this doesn't happen tell your IBC.[/quote]

How long are your lessons? At my school language B is really messed up, I mean, I am the only HL German student, and this year, I studied German B HL together with the only German B SL student (who is not even in the same IB-grade, he's an IB2) two times a week (one 70 min, one 85 min lesson). Furthermore the 70 min lesson was actually a national course (Swedish German step 4) where another 3 Swedish non-IB students participated.. So, I'm not really studying IB German B HL.. ?

[quote name='QueenSara' post='17021' date='May 22 2008, 08:17 PM']How long are your lessons? At my school language B is really messed up, I mean, I am the only HL German student, and this year, I studied German B HL together with the only German B SL student (who is not even in the same IB-grade, he's an IB2) two times a week (one 70 min, one 85 min lesson). Furthermore the 70 min lesson was actually a national course (Swedish German step 4) where another 3 Swedish non-IB students participated.. So, I'm not really studying IB German B HL.. ?[/quote]

Unfortunately it doesn't always work as it should due to resources being scarce. (yes, economics ;P) By that I mean that your school can't probably afford to have a real class for just you. If it were another IB subject this would make a big difference, but language B is not that bad since you're mostly doing the same stuff in the national line as you're basically learning the same language, IB can't make it any more different. I can't evaluate the level of German D (?) in the Swedish system, but you probably have done some past IB papers so you know whether it's about the same. However, I strongly suggest that you try to get some IB specific tips and past papers from your teacher(s), as well as practice for your oral exams, as those are the things that DO differ from the Swedish system. Lycka till!

[quote name='deissi' post='17026' date='May 22 2008, 07:43 PM']Unfortunately it doesn't always work as it should due to resources being scarce. (yes, economics ;P) By that I mean that your school can't probably afford to have a real class for just you. If it were another IB subject this would make a big difference, but language B is not that bad since you're mostly doing the same stuff in the national line as you're basically learning the same language, IB can't make it any more different. I can't evaluate the level of German D (?) in the Swedish system, but you probably have done some past IB papers so you know whether it's about the same. However, I strongly suggest that you try to get some IB specific tips and past papers from your teacher(s), as well as practice for your oral exams, as those are the things that DO differ from the Swedish system. Lycka till![/quote]

Tack för svaret :) I guess it's a matter of resources, I live in a really small town so it is odd that IB is even offered here, haha :) German step 4 is not as advanced as German B, I guess it's German C or D putting it in terms of letters, I really notice a difference between the two lessons, and I've done some of their papers which are a lot easier.. I'll talk to my teacher about oral exams, because we haven't even talked about it yet since the other 3 German students will not even do it.. :) Thanks, once again.

[quote name='QueenSara' post='17037' date='May 22 2008, 11:02 PM']Tack för svaret :) I guess it's a matter of resources, I live in a really small town so it is odd that IB is even offered here, haha :) German step 4 is not as advanced as German B, I guess it's German C or D putting it in terms of letters, I really notice a difference between the two lessons, and I've done some of their papers which are a lot easier.. I'll talk to my teacher about oral exams, because we haven't even talked about it yet since the other 3 German students will not even do it.. :) Thanks, once again.[/quote]

Yeah, basically don't worry too much about it, I did Swedish B (SL though) without having studied as much Swedish as I should have for taking lang B SL, we did have IB classes of 5 people, but they weren't really serious or IB style, and our teacher was is inexperienced in IB. It still went well and I should be getting a 6 or a 7 from my finals (I anticipated it). :) Orals are likely the largest difference there will be..