Writing English SL IA part 1 (editorial)

Nabz

The themes are either:

1. how language and meaning are shaped by culture and context. how language and meaning are shaped by culture and context.

I have to write an editorial on a couple of adverts by the same company while focusing on the how language and meaning are shaped by culture and context.

Any tips on this theme and how i can write an editorial.

THe draft is due tomorrow so i need to have something there, thus i would love to get some help as soon as possible.

Theme 2 seems to be missing? Anyway if I were you I'd start by browsing through adverts. As you look at each one, consider the language they use and the meaning of the advert, and then anything which is specifically relating to the culture the advert is being shown in or the context (e.g. time of year, what time of day - target audience and so on).

I'm pretty sure you'll find something good. Once you've got your teeth into an example it'll be easy to come up with ideas. All they're asking you to do is essentially not even English and certainly not Literature. It's just having a little thought as to why the advertisers did what they did - why is what they did effective and relevant to the audience in order to sell whatever they're selling?

First, pick a company. There are thousands to choose from, so pick one you like. Then analyze the adverts. What words (or lack of a certain word) are used in the advert? Why would the company pick those words specifically? More importantly, what impact would those words have on a viewer in one location (say, an American viewer versus a European or Asian viewer)? Is the advert targeting a specific group, and what cultural ideas/beliefs are they using to do that? What is the current message of the advert, and how would this message change if the context of the advert was changed? Think about these to get started.

An editorial is basically just a short statement giving your opinion, and are usually found in newspapers and journals. Just go through a couple of adverts and write your opinions.

Ok so i have finally found a topic Does BMW stand for Brutal Money Waster? which falls under "socioeconomic" as part of what we have been doing in our English class and i'm trying to say that BMW is downfalling while still trying to make a desperate attempt at promoting its products. I have to link my editorial to one of these three themes:

1. Analyse how audience and purpose affect the structure and content of texts. Areas to be considered could include:

2. Analyse the impact of language changes

3. Demonstrate an awareness of how language and meaning are shaped by culture and context. Points to be considered could include

What i am doing is talking about BMW's 2006 ad where i talk about BMW getting a slap from both Audi and Subaru. And then i go onto talking about BMW advertising its car in Mission Impossible 4 (the new electric i3 car).

Now the questions i'm confused about:

1. How can support my argument, because i mean in an editorial you're giving your opinion so i need to talk about argument from the other side and then prove my point.

2. How can i relate this to one of the themes mentioned above because i have to talk about one of the themes in my rationale.

3. Any other comment overall on the topic chosen?