French exams

I'm taking the standard level exam soon and I got predicted a pretty low score. I know I'm not the best speaker, but my writing is ok. The teacher I have now, honest doesn't know what she's doing. Over the past year we haven't learned much of anything. Although I know that some of it is my fault, I feel I deserve higher than what she predicted me. Anyways, I'm just wondering what I can do in preparation for the exam? Like are there any strategies for paper 1? Ie, look for key words and tenses of verbs / things like that? And as of paper 2, aside from format what else should I keep notice of?

I thank you for reading, and hopefully someone would help =/ :yes:

Guest Lily Bean

For part D of paper 1, what they want is to see you can pick out key info from the text. Grammar isn't strictly marked in this part so don't worry too much about it, just focus on the comprehension bit, make sure you pick out at least 5-7 key details from the text and make sure your style is appropriate - that is if they ask for a news paper article make sure it sounds like one.

Guest blazure

I strongly suggest reading the questions first before reading the texts, allowing you to know what you're looking for when reading. If you get hung up on a word, look at its context as you would in English. For the matching part, identify the parts of speech the words are in both columns so you make sure you match a noun to a noun, verb to verb, etc. For the most part, the test should be simple. I'm taking it in two weeks. As for paper two, I just realized I don't know what's supposed to be on it. Our teacher's given us sample exams based only on paper 1.

When I do French practice tests, I tend to read the questions before the sections. THat way, I have an aim for my reading. Plus, if you don't understand a phrase or question, reading the question first can sometimes help because of a "fill-in-the-blank" mentality. If talking is a problem, then that should only have been a problem in your oral if I'm not mistaken. I'm a junior so I only know so much about the exams, but my french professor has said that the best way to study for the exams is to review basic grammar rules and verbs, because they tend to be the most important part of a sentence in regard to understanding it. You can usually piece together the rest of the meaning with verbs and tense in place.

Good luck on your exam!