biology ee, experiment on humans, any ethical regulations/limitations

pölölöö

I want to do my biology ee on human physiology or anything related to humans. I know that I should do some kind of an experiment in order to get a good grade. So, can I conduct any blood tests or use participants' saliva to measure something? How many participants should I have? Any tips on general?

And yes, I know bacteria, microbes and enzymes would be easier to work with but I do not care!

I suggest if you really want to test humans you do something related to psycology rather than Biology. Also what you do must not harm the test subjects in any way, shouldn't cause stress or pain on them. You have to get their written consent.

With Biology testing on humans would be difficult because no exchanging of fluids of any kind is allowed. Also medication and drug administration tests are not allowed as you're not allowed to compromise the subjects health in any way. It is recommended the tests are observational and measure natural behaviour instead.

With human physiology, just as long as the experiment is not introducing new substances to the body but rather observing it then go for it.

Read the IB animal experimental policy before attempting an experiment on humans or animals.

http://ib-biology-la...ment Policy.pdf

Edited by ChocolateDrop

so i read the extended essay guide and it says no pain or stress should be caused to the organism used in the experiment. i'm planning to test an antibiotic on a bacteria for my ee. is that considered against IB regulations? i'm not very sure :S

so i read the extended essay guide and it says no pain or stress should be caused to the organism used in the experiment. i'm planning to test an antibiotic on a bacteria for my ee. is that considered against IB regulations? i'm not very sure :S

Testing on bacteria and plants is fine. In the extended essay guide biology section testing antibacterial agents on bacteria is given as a good sample EE topic. So your topic should be alright.

http://occ.ibo.org/ibis/documents/dp/drq/extended_essay/d_0_eeyyy_gui_0903_1_e.pdf

http://eprints.tedankara.k12.tr/231/1/Cemre_Agmis.pdf

"not introducing new substances to the body"

so is it not allowed to make the participant eat or drink anything, for example caffeine since it's something that people consume on daily basis.

If you really want to do caffeine, I'd advise you to do a chemistry EE and eliminate the testing on people. This is because you don't want to do all your research, do your whole EE and find out a week before EE submission dealine that your EE is not allowed.

I think the guideline may be referring to everyday substances that everyone takes, like water for example. Using the whole people consume it on a daily basis is shaky ground because this could be stretched and the same can be said about cigarettes to a smoker or other substances people consume on a daily basis etc. So I'd play it really safe and avoid using people.

If you really want to experiment on some organism then, plants or bacteria maybe. You could briefly then link it to how your investigation might be true for people and ergo is really important.

I suggest if you really want to test humans you do something related to psycology rather than Biology. Also what you do must not harm the test subjects in any way, shouldn't cause stress or pain on them. You have to get their written consent.

Actually, just thought I'd let you know that you're not supposed to conduct experiments in psychology EEs - just for future reference.

I strongly advise against any experimentation on Humans or any living being for that matter. IB doesn't mind it as long as you are ethical but they don't really like it.

It would probably be better (and safer) to choose another topic.

Good Luck!